“Brilliant Staff, Food & Service. Great Place!!!”

Playwrights cafe bar & bistro
Ranked #27 of 580 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Brilliant Staff, Food & Service. Great Place!!!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I hadn’t been to playwrights in a while and decided to go one evening. And then return again for Mexican night at the end of the month.

On both occasions the staff where very friendly, attentive and accommodating.

The atmosphere was good, only thing I could say is there was a group booking which was quite loud on both occasions (birthday celebrations I think). But food was that good it was worth it and just meant my husband and I had to talk that bit louder to each other.

The food was very good would certainty recommend. We both had Potato skins to start and for the main we had fillet steak, it was cooked exactly as I asked medium to well done and wasn’t overdone. The cheese mash and vegetables where just as nice and tasty.

On Mexican night we had nachos to start and as a main my husband had the enchiladas while I had to have the fillet steak again as it was so good the first time and I enjoyed it just as much.

We will certainly be returning.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Nickij1981

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch, great staff”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Not been to Playwrights for ages, you forget sometimes that it's there, but when the sun shines it's the place to be. Visited here at lunchtime on a sunny day. surprisingly everyone seemed to be sitting inside but they have outside tables on the cobbled street with views of the Cathedral and the spire. We ordered two different sandwiches and a bowl of chips. You get a choice of bread for the sandwiches and both were unusual and delicious. We bought a bottle of wine as it's usually the cheaper way to buy if there are two of you. The lady who served us was cheerful, efficient and chatty and brought our wine out in a cooler which was essential on a hot day. Reasonably priced and a lovely atmosphere both inside and outside , it's the place to visit, certainly at lunchtime for Coventrians and visitors to our City.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Christine M
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great feel, great food”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

We've eaten here a couple of times, and enjoyed it every time. The menu is varied and the food is lovely. They are one of very few places in Coventry to do a gluten free menu, and they also easily manage to cater for dairy free. I gave 4 stars overall as I felt that the lamb shank I had (though deliciously flavoured and tender) should have been served with a sauce. We had a conversation with the waitress about possible gluteb and dairy free desserts, so I look forward to seeing what the chef adds to the menu!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gemsybobs
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous little place”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Lovely food, very comfortable surroundings and excellent service with sound knowledge of the menu. Definitely worth a visit!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Amanda K
UK
“Lovely! Well worth a visit.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I have always enjoyed going here. The staff are helpful and friendly and there is an extensive menu. The food is always fresh and well presented. Reasonably good value too and quite hearty portions. They serve a fish finger sandwich here which is an excellent menu choice!

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Visited March 2014