“Was going well but let themselves down on the "afters"”

Playwrights Bar & Bistro
Ranked #24 of 602 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Called in here on a quite busy lunchtime. Ordered Nachos with Cajun chicken strips and my wife had a Cajun chicken wrap with salad. These were accompanied by a pint of draught bitter and a glass of the house Rose.
The place is a bit bland in decor but seems popular locally. Tables and chairs a bit cramped and it can be difficult to pull out a chair without bothering neighbouring diners.
Overall I would have rated this good until I ordered a buttered Scone for afters. I was served up what appeared to be a small supermarket bought scone (dry and/or stale with) butter and a portion of what again appeared to be supermarket value style Strawberry jam, what a daft way to let yourselves down.
As first impressions ALWAYS count I would remain neutral as regards any recommendation of Playwrights

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Warm welcome in a small intimate restaurant. Service was excellent and food was amazing staff are very friendly and happy to provide you with what you need/want 10/10

1  Thank Tashanfam
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Popped in for lunch one Saturday - we were late and had missed the main service, but they found us a table and were able to look after us.

The restaurant is on a pretty cobbled street and has large windows and crisp décor.

The specials board is pretty good and they have an interesting Gluten-free menu - the food is pretty decent bistro fare - they grow their own vegetables in the Summer apparently.

The staff are lovely and it feels like a family neighbourhood restaurant - they really made us feel welcome. I

t's nice having places in Coventry that are trying to make an effort.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Went here for Sunday lunch with a group of 16, we half filled the place, food was very good and freshly cooked for us, which caused the missing star as this caused the service to be a bit slow, I had the Beef which was cooked perfectly and very tender,Friendly service by the two waitresses who seem to do everything, nice to speak to one of the chefs afterwards as well.

Good value for the quality of food

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I both had the Chicken Cesar Salad with Bacon (I had a portion of chips on the side)...it came out in good time and was lovely and fresh.

The service is friendly and efficient although we weren't offered a coffee or pudding afterwards which I found strange...so we just left without having either.

The restaurant has several menus (including an a la carte & gluten free menu) and they seem to do special evenings such as Mexican nights etc. All available on the website, but not explained when served which was a shame as it was our first time there to eat...maybe missing a selling opportunity?

The lunch menu is good 'Traditional Fayre' with lasagna, salads, jackets, burgers etc. and we were impressed with the standard. There is also a specials board to choose from.

Not sure if you can order from the a la carte menu during the day? I'll ask next time...it may give a wider choice to choose from.

We'll be back - maybe later on in the evening to try the a la carte menu which looks to have a great selection of restaurant dishes to choose from!

My review would be 'Good' but Tripadvisor doesn't allow.

1  Thank RichardF38