“Fantastic, Friendly, Fantastic Food - definitely worth Five stars”

Playwrights cafe bar & bistro
Ranked #27 of 580 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, Friendly, Fantastic Food - definitely worth Five stars”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We frequented this establishment to say goodbye to a work colleague, friendly staff, great food, reasonably priced and great location.
Suffice to say we will be back and would recommend to all.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Spot on”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

we have had lunch there on 4 occasions visiting Coventry and it has always excelled- fresh, good food and friendly service in pleasant atmosphere

• Visited November 2012
“Just ok”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I fancied going out for a cooked breakfast, so rang Playwrights to see if they did Gluten Free breakfasts, they did. Greeted by pleasant staff, nice location, a cafe more than a bistro, decor a bit tired.
Separate gluten free menu, good. All dining establishments should have this. Very disappointed there was no gf sausage on the breakfast-its a major part of the meal. Liked the fact i had a pot of tea, but I'd finished it by the time my breakfast arrived. Crockery tired too. A mixed experience, i wouldn't rush back.

Coventry
“Lots its appeal”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As Coventry is somewhat lacking in half-decent cafes so we went to Playwrights again. In the past both food and service was ok but the last visit was rather poor. The service was still ok but the food was terrible, my husband had the cooked breakfast which consisted of cheap quality bacon and sausages, I opted for the steak baguette which consisted of fat which left me eating the bread and nothing else. Very disappointing. When we paid I did point it out and the waitress took £2 off the total bill but it was still a very expensive piece of bread. This shouldn't happen when charging around £8 as I'm sure everyone would expect more than a lump of fat for this kind of money. There are also far too many tables and chairs cramped in, trying to pull back to a chair to get in or out and you can be sure to hit someone behind you. Can't recommend and won't be back.

• Visited August 2012
“Lovely place for lunch while our shopping”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I have visited here twice. Both times the service was very good. On the first occasion I sent my lunch back as it was a little cold, there were no questions asked and I was given a completely fresh meal. The meal portions are a good size and averagely priced. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. A very pleasant place to eat in the city centre.