“Uncomfortable atmosphere”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was recommended to us by friends so we attended for a birthday family meal. Very disappointed with the surroundings it was half full of diners and half full with very drunk males. The table we were sat at had a large group behind us that we're very drunk and had appalling language making us feel very uncomfortable. One of our party chose not to eat and went home. Service was good however all the curry dishes tasted of tomato. The veg curry was frozen mixed veg (yuk).

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Helen M

Coventry
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beware, credit card charges”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am a regular visitor to the Railway and usually pay for my food by using my credit card. Imagine my shock last night when I was told a £2 charge was added to my bill because I wanted to pay by card. There was no notification of this charge and I new nothing about it until I asked to settle my bill. On this occasion I ate alone and my meal and a drink came to £8.80. Being asked to fork out a 25% mark up for using a credit card was just too much, and unacceptable.
I was told I could save the £2 by paying cash. I believe I will be happier saving a lot more than that by not eating there again while this charge remains.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jim M
Royal Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
“A lovely surprise.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My Partner and I went for lunch here today,and what a surprise it was. My Partner visited with a group of friends last week,in the evening,and told me "we just had to go".Well he wasn't wrong.My pre-conception of a "social club" was blown out of the water,the interior is immaculate and has been well thought out for all visitors and diners,right down to tv's at some seating areas so the kids can be entertained while Mom and Dad enjoy their meal.
The food was incredible! Well spiced,well cooked and a generous portion too.All at a good price.The menu has enough variety to suit all tastes and there are "non-indian options too.The service was prompt,polite and always with a smile,which came as a surprise as the barmaid who served us was working on her own and the place was filling up when we left.
Well done to this "little gem",it has retained the comfortable atmosphere of a social club and has been greatly enjoyed today.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank JaneHolmes
Coventry, UK
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We didn't know what to expect from a Social Club that "does curries", but it turns out there is a full Indian Restaurant within the club, with a seperate dining area, and with an open kitchen by the bar. And a very good Indian it is.
We are curry fans, and visit Goa regularly, and have to say these are authentic tasting dishes.
We have been twice, and both times everything has been delicious, with generous portions, good service and good prices, including the drinks.
It's still a social club, and we had a "turn" last time, but we have had better meals here than in much more expensive "proper" Indian restaurants. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank TriuumphNed
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Been here 3 time and always had good service & food, once we had to wait but the waiter told me. The eating area has been increased

• Visited February 2013