“Very, very mixed”
Review of Stresa Kitchen - Coventry - CLOSED

Stresa Kitchen - Coventry
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Stresa restaurant and bar at Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry offers a contemporary British & Pan European inspired restaurant and is the place in Coventry to experience an authentic and modern dining experience. We are very proud that the restaurant has been awarded a Gold 2 Star Sustainability award in 2014. Stresa Restaurant is the perfect stop for a quick lunch or leisurely meal. Whether you are having an intimate meal for two, entertaining clients, enjoying a meal with your family, or throwing a party. Stresa is the perfect venue and offers the perfect setting anytime of the day or night.
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Living in Coventry, I was keen to try this restaurant with my partner for the first time after reading such positive reviews. We expected the restaurant to be quite as it was early on a Sunday evening when we dined, however during the full extent of our visit, only seven diners ate there which did spoil any chance of atmosphere. I was a little surprised to be charged £7.50 for a pint of peroni and a small bottle of sparkling water from the bar prior to eating - I would expect no less in a boutique restaurant or even in a more salubrious city, but in a chain hotel, in a less than desirable street in Coventry?

My partner asked for a table in a warm part of the restaurant as the bar air conditioning had made us both chilly. The response from the barman/waiter was "sit where you want". It became obvious quickly that the serving staff doubled as bar staff or rather the bar staff also waited on table - none of the niceties you would expect from a restaurant charging these prices. The Indian restaurant across the road (Akbars, see my review) places you napkin on your lap, asks to take your jacket etc, but not here.

The wine list was fair and not badly priced although nothing catered for anyone on a real budget. The menu was also reasonably varied.

My parter ordered wild boar as a starter however what arrived was mixed meat antipasti. As my starter was hot, she decided not to say anything rather than delay our dinner. When these dishes were being cleared, a new waitress from the one who took our order asked how our food was. We both said it was enjoyable but when my partner mentioned hers being the wrong dish, unfortunately the response was "that was the other girl's fault".

My mixed meat calzone is possibly one of the best I have ever eaten. Absolutley packed with four different meats and very well made - beautiful.

Good points - local, no need to book, excellent meat calzone.
Bad points - expensive drinks, poor attention to detail by staff, incorrect order, blame culture.

I think we timed it bad going on a Sunday evening and perhaps on busier nights they have more staff concentrating on specific roles, but I doubt we will return. There are too many other places still to try.

2  Thank ade1266
Mike S, Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you so much for writing a review of our restaurant.

We always like to recieve feedback as this allows us to fully concentrate of consistant and continuous areas of improvement.

The restaurant has gone through many changes during the summer, and I am pleased to let you know we are now part of the sustainable restaurant association.

Having just launched our fantastic new winter menu, I would very much like to invite you back to experience our new food and improved service offerings, i invite you to email me direct and I will happily discuss a return visit with you.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

good ambience. its a bit on the pricier side, but definitely worth one visit.

Mike_Shaw_Ram, General Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Dear Wandersher,

Thanks for your review, do come and visit us again soon, did you become one of our stresa members? When you enroll you do recieve discounts and invites for any special events, our spring menus will launch soon. Have a great Easter and see you soon.

Mike
Stresa Restaurant and Bar Coventry

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We had a great time here on valentines day! Would recommend this to anyone! Best pizza I had for years!

Mike_Shaw_Ram, General Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate when our guests and customers take the time to write reviews and we were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your meal with us, the chefs and his team work hard to source finest ingredients and we are especially proud of our pizzas - authentically stone baked pizzas always give the perfect flavour.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends again very soon.

Mike Shaw
Stresa Restaurant and Bar - Coventry City Centre.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Nice atmosphere, attentive service and great seafood!

2  Thank Evelina Z
Mike_Shaw_Ram, General Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Thanks for your review, its always an absolute pleasure when we surpass our diners expectations, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Stresa Itlaian Restaurant and Bar Coventry

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We visited on a Monday night and were advised on booking that it was a "limited" menu, but as we were going after a movie that was ok. In fact the menu had an excellent choice of 6 or 7 items per course. The fish soup was full of tasty crayfish and mussels. We both had the carbonara for mains and it was rich and creamy with plenty of meat. Service was charming, albeit a little slow, but the staff were obliging and smiled throughout. Would recommend a visit and we will be returning. To add icing to the cake, they also accept Tastecard!

Mike_Shaw_Ram, General Manager at Stresa Kitchen - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Thankyou so much for your review, as a team we are so proud of our restaurant brand - Stresa Italian Restaurant and bar, all of the team really appreciate you taking the time to write a response on Trip advisor.

This really helps us to monitor our service and food quality. I am also very pleased to inform you that we are launching our new winter/spring menus this coming Monday 16th January, and I hope you may return soon to try the full menu.

I hope you also entered our Dine and Win promotion and the loyalty programme, do keep a close eye on the local press for more offers in the coming weeks.

Thankyou for choosing Stresa and see you again soon.

Regards;