“Grim, worse than a student dorm, I felt unsafe”

Coventry City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coventry
Coventry City Hotel
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I chose this based on the price and location. I didn't realise until my arrival that the rooms have no toilets - you have to share toilets and showers out in the corridor. The shared toilets are disgusting - they are supposedly self cleaning but both that I tried stank of urine, had wet floors, and did not look clean at all. There are also no toilet seats, so if you are a woman it is very awkward. The shared showers mean that you meet semi-naked people with wet hair dressed only in towels in the corridors. The budget price seemed to attract students and stag/hen parties, both nights the corridor outside my door was full of shouting people, banging doors, and parties apparently going on in rooms, and my door was not soundproof whatsoever so it was extremely noisy until late into the night (thankfully I had earplugs but even those didn't block it all out). The room itself was extremely basic, with a bunk bed over top of a double bed, a sink, and a small desk and chair, and a television which only received the terrestrial channels. There is only one light positioned as part of the bed frame between the bed and sink, so the room is gloomy at night and there is no comfortable place to read unless you actually get into bed. There is one small window with a springloaded blind, so your choice is to be exposed to the world or plunged into gloom. As a single woman traveller, I felt very uncomfortable coming and going from my room, I never saw any staff in the Formule 1 and there is no reception - you check in at the Ibis across the parking lot. There was litter in the hallways on the second day.

I disagree that this is value for money - the Travelodge was advertising rooms from £29 per night in Coventry station, I wish I had stayed there and had a safer room in a staffed hotel and my own bathroom. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the continental breakfast served over in the Ibis was actually quite nice, with fresh baguettes and pastries, and a small selection of meats and cheese.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 7, 2008

We went to the hotel with low expectations anyway, having stayed in formule 1 hotels before
This by far was the worse

first of all was the check in, it took far to long and the woman had no idea what she was doing, so much so that she only activated the card for 1 night instead of 2, so we had to mess about the next day too. There was a security guard on F1s desk who made us feel uncomfortable, as there were 4 of us, he kept asking questions and trying to make us get another room, when we were trying to tell him 1 person wasnt staying over.

The room was for 3 people, the top bunk had hair all over it, and was not made-also the quilt had no cover, there were 2 pillows for 3 people and no hand towel. I managed to get the afformentioned items and a clean sheet from the cleaner the next day, whom had knocked us up at 8am by walking in shouting HOUSE CLEANING, 8AM!!! (there were not things to put on handles)!! - advise make sure you take a sleeping bag if you are on the top bunk...!!!

Then there was the toilets. OK they are communial so it cant be helped the smell and state, but these really were a mess. I stayed in Liverpool the week before which was FULL of Hens and stags and this was still soooo much cleaner and friendlier that Coventry. There was no toilet roll in most toilets and in 2 days the showers were not cleaned (or slef cleaning), one my friend was in had blocked with hair and flooded on her whilst mine dribbled! (we wouldnt have showered only we were staying 2 days) as for the next morning i walked into a shower room to use a mirror and it was covered in HUMan fecies and sick, the smell made me gag, i pointed it to the cleaner who shrugged! also most the toilets were covered in vomit.

Maybe we had a bad crowed there that weekend, but i seriously wouldnt go there again, i couldnt wait to get home

A budget hotel is one thing and i dont expect the world, but some cleanliness and orginisation would be nice, all the other formule 1;s i have been to have been ok for the night, just not this one....

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank woodyaless
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I made the mistake of booking into this hotel last week. April 08. The price was certainly right - £26 for a night for 2 people, but I would have happily spent more for another place had I known how bad the hotel was going to be. The rooms and restrooms/showers were dirty. After checking into the room, i was distraught to find fresh brown stains on the pillow, and red stains on the duvet. I left them on the floor and we slept on the bed with our coats over us. I wish this was an exaggeration. The showers and bathrooms were also unclean - with used toilet paper lying by the side of the toilet. It didn't appear that this hotel had been cleaned or maintained in a long while.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Warsaw. Poland
Reviewed May 7, 2006

This was the worst Formula I had ever visited. I travelled much in France and slept in this places, they are basic, but clean. This one in Coventry was rather dirty, especially toilets, showers a little bit better. When we arrived two people drank beer just at the outside so the whole corridor stunk with beer.

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed June 14, 2004

If you have 3 people who want to just get their heads down for the ultimate in cheapness, it's good value, otherwise, give it a miss. The decor is reminscent of swimming pool changing rooms (my room was white, bright yellow and maroon). The sheet was stained although probably freshly washed. The showers and toilets smelt horrible, although washed automatically after each use. Only food / drink was from two vending machines in reception, both out of order. Sheet was one-piece folded round at the bottom, so very uncomfortable except for small people. Only light in bedroom was cold fluorescent
Breakfast - hot drink from a machine, cornflakes, sliced bread and a toaster, etc. For me, a thorough disappointment all round. I have stayed in loads of different bed and breakfast places around Coventry, all for around this price. This one I would rank equal bottom

3  Thank robthedesigner
CARRICKFERGUS, NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed February 2, 2004

The room was very basic but every room has a double bed and a single bed for £19.95 at the weekend. Ideal for young people who are out partying and just looking for somewhere to sleep at the end of the night. And if three people are sharing a room - u are talking about £7 per person per night!!!!!!U couldn't beat that anywhere.

The only thing we could fault was that the toilets and showers could have been cleaner. Quite a few of the toilets had no toilet-roll most of the time. The room was very warm and the heating was on practically all of the time.

On the whole i think this would be a hard place to beat on value for money.

• Stayed: January 2004
York, UK
Reviewed September 14, 2003

First of all, there was a very limited check-in time, and if you arrived outside these hours you had to check in using a credit card machine, which was out of order. A member of staff came and let us in, but made it quite clear that he had better things to do. He then said we could only check in if we had secured the rooms with a credit card.
There was a group of us who booked together over the phone and he said that if we wanted to pay separately, we would have to be charged more.
Where is the logic in this, as the prices are fixed and displayed on the walls etc?? What a con artist.

The corridors smelled of sweat and urine interchangeably, the rooms smelled of smoke even though it is a non smoking hotel, and the blanket smelled of wet dogs.

The toilets and shower are "self cleaning" which sounds great but the floor is constantly wet, the toilet paper was not replaced when it ran out, because I suppose the staff didn't check these self reliant toilets. I don't see when the actual toilet and sink are cleaned (I saw no evidence of this) as the jets of water come from the floor.

You could see huge wedges of dust behind the doors where someone had obviously opened the door then poked the hoover in, without actually going into the room. The bedding did appear clean though, as did the sink.

The whole group of us couldn't wait to leave.

I think basic facilities are to be expected, but the rude "welcome" was unnecessary, and the hygeine was poor. None of us will return to a Formule 1, and I don't think anyone else we met would either, we heard of people being locked out of their rooms overnight when the automatic locks broke down, as it wasn't considered an emergency to sleep in your clothes in another room, with contact lenses in.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member