“Fantastic Value”

Coventry City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coventry
Coventry City Hotel
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Manchester
“Fantastic Value”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Stayed for one night after attending a concert at the Ricoh. Was just wanting something cheap in a good location and this fitted the bill perfectly. Pleasantly surprised with the room, very clean, comfy newish bedding and the decor was simple and modern. The shared showers and toilets were self cleaning cubicles so seemed clean whenever I used them and there were several of them for each corridor of rooms. Was fairly quiet and I got a good nights sleep despite the hotel being fairly full of other concert goers.

The main Ibis hotel next door had a nice looking cafe that was still serving food and drinks late into the night. The train station is very close, a 5 to 10 minute walk away and there are buses into town from there also.

Would definitely reccommend as a great deal for an overnight stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you again. Joanna/ General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed May 31, 2011

On booking this hotel for the kings of Leon concert I booked this hotel on location to the centre and it was the first to pop up so u I went for it. I have stated at the etap hotel in Cardiff and assumed this would be the same standard!! How wrong. I arrived from a long journey to be checked in at the ibis which was ok. I then went into s totally uninviting room and realised no showers or toilet. I realised that they were shared on the corridor and the first showroom I opened had dead spiders or beatles of some kind in the floor and the floor was absolutely disgusting. I then opened the toilet only to discover someone had left a poo! I immediately went to reception and had a refund but as it was really busy in the city I wad lucky to find a central travel lodge but

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Southwalesjrthomas
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that on this occassion the communal toilets in Formule 1 Hotel were not communicated clearly enough. I am also sorry that the cleanliness standards of them were affected when you needed to use them. I can assure you that they are cleaned on a regular basis during the day. We treat all comments with the utmost seriousness and will be investigating the matter accordingly. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

After getting my swipe key from the Ibis across the way I checked into my room. The room itself was clean but a bit scruffy. There were cigarette burns on the (all plastic) furniture, the window handle was snapped off and so wouldn't open and the decor was non-existent.

However, having said all that, I did only pay £18 a night and so I didn't expect the world. The double bed was really comfortable and the window blind blocked out all the light so I slept really well. There was little noise throughout the night, although the fire alarm did go off at 07:00, just when my alarm clock went off.

The main downside of this hotel is that you don't have a bathroom in the room, you do have at least a washbasin. The communal toilets and showers were not really that appealing, one toilet wouldn't flush and one shower wouldn't get hot, but at least if it's communal you have choice! The shower I did use had a lot of body hair on the floor which was really not very pleasant, I really hope the owners don't rely too much on the "automatic cleaning system" too much as it doesn't appear to work too well. I recommend a "don't look down" policy of bathroom usage in this place.

The location is superb as you can walk to town in minutes and there is a free car park, which is a really good selling point at this price level.

All in all, you pay what you get for and in this case, you do at the least get a decent bed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Formul1 Coventry. I’m
pleased that you quite enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about teh bathroom cleanliness as well as the bedroom disadvantages reported in your review. Kind regards, Joanna/ General Manager.
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I wanted a cheap and cheerful overnight stay after a long and tiring ride on a motorcycle rally around Wales.

The hotel is in the centre of town and is alongside the Ibis. The F1 reception was uninviting and a note pinned on the wall said to go the Ibis to book in. Here the staff were friendly and checked me in despite me dripping water all over their bar area. Top marks to the Ibis guy that booked me in.

Once in the F1 via a swipe card entry I was met by a security guard behind a desk who showed me to my room. My neighbours seemed to be factory workers using the hotel as a doss house rather than travellers. I got this from the notes taped to their doors. Although I was a late arriving, the noise from the corridors of drunken women shrieking kept me awake until after 3am.

To be honest for £23 a night you can't expect much and this F1 was shabby with worn and dirty carpets, cigarette burns on the window ledges. The bedding although clean was riddled with cigarette odour.

This might seem harsh, but nothing I didn't tell Accor hotels in their post stay survey. I have stayed at many F1's across France and Belgium and none have been this bad.

Room Tip: Book at the Ibis.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I am sorry that despite security being on duty each night, you did not have good night sleep due to the noise. I have shared your feedback with Housekeeping Department and am currently investigating the matter. Please feel free to contact me on 02476 250 500 to discuss this further. Kind regards, Joanna / General Manager.
Medway,UK
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I have stayed in a lot of budget accommodation but this was by far the worst. To be fair on first impressions the room was clean and adequate, but the lack of toilets in the room was disappointing. I could have coped with a normal, but clean shared bathroom, but what is provided is a plastic box with an integral toilet. As you sit for the first time and read the notice, it tells you that the box is self cleaning and not to enter if the red light is on, and you realise that you have no idea if it was on before you entered. The constantly wet floor is disconcerting to say the least, and you can only pray that the self clean function is responsible. We decided not to risk the shower, and instead opted to use the basin provided in the room. The room was also very noisy, but the bed comfortable and appeared freshly made. I would not have like to have shared the room with a third person in the bed above and would have spent the night waiting for them to fall on me. There was only one plug socket in the room which was not properly connected to the wall.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Formule 1 Coventry Centre. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. Please, let me inform you that we have recently installed additional bathroom extraction fan so that the humidity you mentioned is significantly reduced. I have also shared your comments in regards to the noise with the security team present in the hotel every night. We are looking into the matters you kindly brought to our attention. Kind regards, Joanna / General Manager.
swansea
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I have stayed in many low cost locations as well as the very best, This place was booked for me to stay in whilst doing some sub contract work in the Coventry Area.
The place was awful, the room smelt of smoke, the bed sheets were not clean and the ablutions were shocking.
There was hassle booking in as the chap on reception was arguing with a customer who was seeking directions to somewhere in the town. There was a long wait as the reception was manned by on person who was also manning the Bar for the IBIS (You book into the Formule 1 in the IBIS). the attitude of the staff is totally offhand.
I left this hotel/hostel/cell in the morning and cancelled what should have been 5 nights. I had a poor night sleep, the shower in the morning was hot, but thats the best i could say about it, there were people walking around in underwear in the morning to use the toilets etc. The toilets were filthy and apparently self cleaning, I waited and used a local service station !!!.
Pay a few more pound and get a decent B &B !!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business