“Britain's Worst Hotel?”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Well situated next to Coventry Cathedral, this hotel is an ugly reminder of how hideous Sixties architect was. It is run down, stained and battered. The restaurant is in theory open till 9.30pm but they don't want to serve anyone after 9pm. The carvery was beyond awful, everything dried up - maybe been there since lunch time? No waiter service, drinks only from a machine. Bar equally hideous, loud music, full of children, nowhere to relax. The room just about OK. Very shabby, Door wouldn't lock properly and there was a chain but nothing to fix it to. Fled as early as possible the next day. It was cheap and the receptions helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Marcia W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Britannia Hotel is in the City centre so that's a Plus point. & Right behind the Cathedral, & old lanes section of City. Also Very close to Bus station & shopping centre.
Several good Bars & Pubs behind, & around the Cathedral area. Plus plenty of reasonable priced restaurants.

Reception is clean and staff efficient. As are all the staff.
Restaurant is Carvery style & although they do (or did at the time of out Visit) have sitting times, that said they are if possible willing to make allowances but you will have to give priority to the group that has preference at the time. (Nothing wrong with that)
Bar is bright & pleasant, and prices as expected for a Hotel Bar. Keg & Bottle Beers only. Plus small basic wine selection. Such is the clientèle I guess.
Function rooms are fine & roomy. And fit for purpose.

Now for the rooms!
Windows Filthy & I do mean filthy. So much so that I first thought they was tinted. I fully understand that cleaning is required (due to buildings design) by Abseil team, but this could be at least once a year to improve. I have extensive experience in the Building & Maintenance industry, & estimate it’s many years since 318's windows had been cleaned/serviced. (Window opened “with effort” but would not expect closing to be as easy) Obviously the inside was also lacking, as no way can they be suitably cleaned if one cant see to the outside to observe effect.

Furniture in my room “318” is a trip down memory lane; I thought I was back at my Nan’s.
Great if you are a lover of 60/70s retro. But it all matched so that's something I guess. All it needed was lavender & Jar of Humbugs, to finish the effect.
TV was a challenge, no way (& I tried) to get channel display on the CRT tube TV. Sitting Bingo prize style on the coffee table. so a lotto until you recognise a program as to what's actually on.
One Pillow & a small cushion, per Bed. OK for me as I used the second Beds one, but woe betide a couple sharing.
Chairs (Both) in room excessive Water marked. (What form of water caused the stains I can only guess at)

Bathroom is Adequate. Although with Loose fittings, Mismatched/broken fittings, plug chain missing, no WC Brush, "enough said"
House keeping try their best with pleasantly folded clean Towels & replenishments.

Beds "firm" enough said.

Noise (Traffic) if window is left open is beyond the Hotels control, & wasn't too Bad after dark. But in work time Oh Dear!
That said few folk like a cool airy room that I desire, so opening windows is not an issue.

I can’t say what other rooms were like but from fellow travellers reports, they are the same.

Food in Restaurant;
As Said its Carvery style. And the two main meals I had, over the two nights visit, was OK for taste, & texture in the Meat section, also in the deserts.
Vegetables? Had better & once or twice have had worst.
But it seems to be geared for the "Coach Tour Market" and not the independent travellers.
Several seats in restaurant, patched up & lacking attention. And a few tables in a condition that made dining in a group “interesting”

All in all I would rate it
High on Staff attention to Guest's needs, and willingness to assist & serve.
And
Low on Building condition.
Head office need to spend an amount, not a fortune but enough to tidy & service.

Certainly not worth paying full list price on rooms as shown on website at date of review.
Plus the cost as shown of £70ppn/£75prpn B&B (at best rate seen) is optimistic unless you are pushed. Full rate (£150+ppn) is a No! No! For what I experienced on this visit.
Another rather confusing matter is the costing per person per room; Meal’s Inc in cost is understandable. But the “single occupancy” per room paid is a tad staid in 2014. One would expect a cost per Room, unless they are so desperate for the extra shampoo sachet usage?
But above apart, we were on a Group Deal, (50 persons plus) then for what we paid Per Person it was ample & acceptable.
Not terrific by any means, but OK. & served its purpose.

The staff attempt their best, to make a silk purse from the proverbial. But are attempting a very difficult task.

And being told by Bar Maid that they are not allowed to accept Tips is odd to say the least?
Not that these types of establishments get a lot of tippers.

I have not added Pictures as I cant improve on the ones already posted on this site of the Britannia.

Room Tip: room at rear of Hotel & with balcony would be best.
6  Thank davidmansworth
Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I've slept in ditches on Salisbury plain and the back of 4 tonners/vans.
1, rooms to warm
2, rooms dirty
3, windows so dirty I didn't need to close my curtains
4, ignorant and incompetent staff
5, tired decor
6, waited so long to check in I sat down ate my subway (footlong) still waited fifteen minutes once I'd finished.
7, even at 37 quid it was to expensive
8, smoking or non smoking, WTF,even as a smoker I was shocked.
9, not only will I never stay here again, im never staying in Britannia hotels again on principal, I will also tell everyone I ever discuss hotels with of my experience, I believe they call that a ripple effect in business. But you fools wouldn't know.

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank luke886
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends for the Goliath Poker tournament so this was part of a package. So for that purpose you could say it was fine, and for a stag do it would probably be ok as the room rate wasn't that expensive.

However you would not stay here with the wife, or for business purposes. The hotel looks very shabby throughout and although the hotel might have looked good in the mid 1990's we are now in 2014 and it doesn't look like its been refurbished in that time. Very dated and the whole place from the lift, to the corridors and rooms looks tatty.

Didn't risk breakfast and we heard it was not to be recommended to went to the nearby Wetherspoons where incidentally its cheaper.

No Wi-Fi in rooms which is pretty terrible in this day and age and because I need to use roaming in the mainland to surf the web this is a big issue.

The TV is something you'd see in a prison cell, and the TV channels are very basic. I noticed other reviews mention the wait at reception, this is something I witnessed.

Overall OK for a stag do or similar but otherwise stay clear.

1  Thank wokingjames
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here for the weekend which was booked through the Holiday Shop, a fantastic family run travel company based in the Isle of Wight that we have been using for many years. The weekend was for our friends wedding reception following their wedding in Greece. We are from Essex and we chose this hotel as it is in the middle of the country and we had guests from Scotland and England. Although the hotel is in need of some attention and is looking tired in places, the manager Mark and his team pulled out all the stops to ensure a thoroughly enjoyable weekend for us all. They were very helpful and attended to our every need. The food was good and the rooms are in the main, comfortable and clean. They are trying very hard to improve the hotel decor but we appreciate that this takes time and is costly. We would recommend the hotel for functions and the location is perfect for visiting Coventry.

1  Thank Paula L
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed in hotel for week-end at my friends wedding from 15/8/2014. Hotel is in the process of being refurbished as a bit dated. Mark England the manager went all out to make sure everyone was comfortable and enjoyed their stay. Rooms have been refurbished with new beds and furniture. All was very clean and food excellent. All staff were lovely and manners were impeccable. Thank you to Mark & staff for making my friends wedding a fantastic week-end. First time in Coventry and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All rooms on third floor have been refurbished.
Reviewed August 12, 2014

As we live nearby in Leamington Spa we came with friends to shop in Coventry.We had lunch at the Britannia Hotel.The food was very good,soup with bread & butter or melon followed by a carvery & after,gateaux & fruit salad & cream.All this cost an unbelievable £6.A small glass of wine was £1.50 & coffee £1.00.The dining room was very attractive & we were looked after really well by Gemma a very cheerful girl.There were only 12 of us there which was such a pity as it was very enjoyable,so come on over 60's of Warwickshire give the Britannia Hotel's lunch a try or it may not survive.

Room Tip: Sorry,just had lunch.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple