Britannia Hotel Coventry
$102
$76
$74
1,408 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times since 2009, for social and practical reasons, not through any great love of the establishment.

The Brittannia is a product of its time. A block of concrete built during the 60s (?) reconstruction of Coventry. It suffers from the usual problems of a building this age and type. Everything says "used to be smart, but not any more". Most notably water pressure and heat reaching the extremities of the wings (although the latter seems to have been resolved nicely with a new central heating system). Paper is peeling, bathrooms have seen better days, fixtures are worn, walls and carpets have suffered water damage. In the public spaces the toilets servicing the the second floor board rooms and suites have always smelled pretty awful. Clearly attempts have been made to rectify this, but they have not succeeded.

Having visited in previous years I have always thought that the staff could not be faulted for their helpfulness and courtesy, but that they are sorely let down by the state of the building. This time around even the staff seemed to be flagging and in some instances a little irritable. Hardly surprising given what they have to work with.

Room Tip: Avoid the wing built over the main road toward the bus station. Also ensure that the double glazing closes (and seals) properly, otherwise noise (and draft) will be a problem. Room 610 in particular suffers a problem with damp and rot in the window frame (see photos), and the outer windows were gimmicked so as not to close properly. The first night's sleep was very disrupted by noise from below, until I "fixed" that little issue. (Thank providence for pocket toolsets.)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2013

It is a shame to write a somewhat negative review about this hotel as the location is perfect and it does have a somewhat kitsch charm to the place, however, the only positive’s I can really highlight from my stay are that the location is perfect, they have smoking rooms available and my room was clean and warm.

You don’t expect much for dinner, bed and breakfast for just over £55.00, that’s booking online, I feel if you paid the walk in rate which is £150.00 - £200.00 you would be extremely disappointed.

Dinner was served in a carvery style, but the food that was on offer looked as if it had already been half eaten. The breakfast consisted of a full English, which was actually very nice, and/or cereals, toast, fruit etc. Apart from the cooked breakfast items, the quality of the food was very poor. The tea's and coffee's provided where horrid and in turn at meal times general conversation between guests consisted of complaints about quality of products.

On the website it states that the rooms have modern televisions and have all channels, in fact they have channels one to five. Not a great selection! The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and warm and clean. The person who I was staying with however found a white stain all over the chest of draws and stains on the curtains which ultimately put her off right away.

The service provided by the staff was mixed and I found that they were either very friendly and would do anything to help or where slightly confrontational when complaints where raised. On the first night I mentioned the quality of the food, the reception manager ignored me and the dining room manager said. 'Well why you didn’t ask the staff to replace the food.' My answer. 'Catering staff should know when the food they are serving isn’t up to standard.'

It is a shame that the negatives outweigh the positives, even if they are trivial! It’s sad really because it has a great location in the centre of Coventry and is actually ideal for people on business trips; if they just put more into it it could be great!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from our second visit to this hotel for the annual darts competition weekend we attend every year. Just want to add to what I put 12 months ago, we had a lovely room, 712 smoking room again. Still nice to see this is still on offer.

Rooms still the same as last year. No worse or better, clean towels and linen, bathroom spotless. A room to sleep in and shower and head off out - What more do you want. If you want 5 star then pay for 5 star !!!!.

A notable increase in staff this year & new uniforms which look very nice. Food just as nice as last year too. Cant wait to get back again next year.

Thanks Brittania Coventry for a great week end.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Coventry for a training and as I was part of a larger group, they booked us all here to save money. This hotel is really old, but it is service and food that makes it terrible. One of the receptionist told me when asked they do not do room service. However, they do! Why she lied? I do not know. Also the restaurant...it is just sad. It really big, but empty, the food choice (2 starters - already made, so not fresh, 2 mains, some desserts left outside for long time, so..) and the attitude of the restaurant staff - not all of them, but some. Also, there were some small stains on the wall in the room - not really dirt, but the age I would say caused them. Absolutely dirty windows. I have never seen a remote control this dirty. It was really disgusting. After using it I felt the urge to wash my hand. As positives I would say sleep quality - I had very nice sleep. However, the whole impression - it is just not right.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed for a weekend November 2012 and I was sorry I hadn't heeded the reviews on Tripadvisor which was mainly because my Parents had stayed here before and found it fine. I didn't find it so and will try to be as fair as possible.

Pro's
Location, room size, clean bed linen, tea/coffee facilities, lots of extra pillows, tv, trouser press, hairdryer, large bathroom, plenty of hot water and towels.

Con's
Price, no safes, public area's are very old, dining room, cold food, bedroom curtains filthy, leaky bath, wifi in lobby didn't work, constant flow of non-guests as meeting rooms are hired out to local groups, constant busloads of guests being given precedence over other guests, damp smell in corridors, lifts tempermental.

Horrific
The bedroom windows let in dreadful draughts and on one of the nights I thought the glass would actually come in, such was the pressure and noise, I was actually frightened. My child was freezing and I had to pull his bed from the window wall over beside his brother's bed and lie beside him for an hour to heat him up, thankfully it was our last night.

At breakfast, it was like a scout trip, complete free for all with the food, mess everywhere, everything lukewarm, if available in the first place. The staff tried their best to cope but there were only 2 of them.
While waiting for a table for breakfast, one waitress shouted at the Italian family in front "if you're not with the coachtrip, you'll have to come back later" leaving us open mouthed. She then returned 5 minutes later like a different person and seated them and us in the draughty conservatory.

The Brittania needs to be closed down, completely renovated and invested in and most of the staff need to be retrained or replaced, mostly they were close to breaking point of stress.

I do not complain easily as everyone/place can have a bad day and I am truly sorry to say it, but in my opinion, it is not fit to be called a hotel, more a 1 star hostel. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: A different hotel