“Cheap and Cheerful”

Coventry Hill Hotel
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stayed with dad, my brother and his young son for a boys night out after a trip to the NEC, which is 10mins down the road. The reviews are a bit misleading as this is a perfectly decent hotel which compares very well to similar priced chain hotels. The decor is fine - a bit dated but not shabby - and everything is very clean. All the staff (other than the officious receptionist) were very friendly and helpful, and the carvery and breakfast were very good for the price.
If you pay what we paid (£37 for the room, £10 for dinner and £5 for breakfast) and want a decent place to sleep then this is it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Coventry Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be a value for money, I believe that your feed back is honest and balanced and I wish to thank you so much.

I have taken on board the comments you have made and will endeavour to continue to improve standards and service.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Original rate was £61, when my colleague turned up and saw the quality, the hotel relented and reduced it to £41.......but that was a good £30 too much.
I stayed at this hotel in 1995 when it was a Posthouse.....it hasn't been refurbished since!!
All 4 rooms, whilst being clean, had peeling wallpaper, uncomfortable beds & pillows, ill closing windows producing too much noise and one room had a radiator that sounded like a foundry when you wanted any heat.
The bathrooms had mould, rusty metalwork and chipped ceramics.
Bar Maid didn't know what a single malt was for one of my colleagues.
Several items of the Hot Breakfast were cold
One good thing.... the WiFi was free

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Coventry Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, which I read with interest and concern. I do feel it is a shame you did not speak to our duty manager or indeed myself or my deputy as we could have resolved any issues and take great care to do so when something is brought to our attention

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board

Reviewed November 1, 2010

Before I begin...I have noticed that the "manager" responds to good reviews only....

We found the standard of the rooms and food unacceptable.

Beds had more lumps that the andes. No mattress protectors hence unsanatory stains.
Wallpaper peeling in far too many places.
Shower rails had more rust than chrome, bath had large enamel chips (caught my toe in one". Mould on the bathroom ceiling.
Archaic furniture.
Although the sheets were clean and we did have a Corby trouser press........
FANTASTIC.

Food......What can I say.....totally unpalatable (in our opinion). I had chicken chasseur, which I could not eat due to it being cold, went back to change (still cold) from a "Hot Plate"!! My friends food (different) was equally of poor quality for one reason or another.
We should have listened to the member of staff who advised us to eat elsewhere.

The Hotel has 3 lifts servicing 8 floors.....for our 3 day stay all 3 lifts were out of service for 2 days, not uncommon according to another member of staff. All guests had to use the stairs....great fun if your on the 3rd floor or worse still the 8th floor.

Could not get a seat in the bar (which had around 50-60 seats), great when you have 192 or so rooms.....we could have sat back in the restaurant with our drink (no music or TV)....but why??? We wanted to be in the bar....logistical nightmare.

The Hotel seems to be going along merrily, accomodating generally the over 60's, who on the main seem to accept this type of service. They are of a generation who do not overly complain (I'm not saying thats a good or bad thing), it's their choice.

But beware you poorly run hotels...the next generation coming to the weekend tourism fore will be the now 40-55 yr olds....these people will not put up with poor service and standards, we don't have a history of "putting up with things", we will complain.

I know you may be running a "tight budget" but please don't sacrifice quality and service for small profit...improve your rooms, food and logistics...spend some money...run at a loss for a while, it will pay dividends in the end.

Staff we're generally pleasant, sometimes looking a little embarrassed.

The above comments represent our opinions and observations and should be respected as such.......

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

We did have a problem with our lifts on this weekend and for this I can only apologise, as I did on the night to all as I monitored the staircases for anyone who was struggling. The one lift was off due to a part having to be manufactured but due to a fault beyond our control the second and third lift stopped working on Saturday at around 7pm – we did call the engineer who worked through the night and managed to get the lifts back on just after 9am on the Sunday,

We catered for 150 guests that weekend and this is the first complaint I have had regarding the food. The normal fare on the buffet, is a roast joint, and then two other dishes. I do wish you had spoken to the duty manager, as the chef would gladly have offered an alternative, we often have guests who have dietary requirements and we are happy to offer an alternative.

However, I can assure you that I have taken on board the points raised in the hope that we can ensure there is no repetition of these issues again. My heads of department are keen to improve the business and obviously it is only by listening to constructive comments that we can hope to make things better.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed for five days in late October 2010. The big hotel was warm and clean and welcoming. Our room was big and warm and clean, with a king-sized bed and a good bathroom with plenty of hot water and a powerful shower. The food was good and hot and plentiful with a good variety. The staff were smart and polite and efficient. Fun entertainment on two nights. A good place to stay and would definitely recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: October 2010
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Coventry Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Thank you so much for your kind words we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will retunr to our hotel in the future - kindest regards from all the staff

Reviewed October 29, 2010

stayed on the 12th october and the 27th,was flying from birmigham, taxi was on time put our cases in for us the told us to phone when we arrived back and he would pick us up where he droped us of which he did just waited 15mims which we thought was good,hotel we had caveryon the 12th which was verygood plenty of every thing, and breakfast on the27th which was full english very good and only £5, beds were very comfy and rooms lovely and clean, yes hotel was a bit dated if you whant a 5***** then book a5***** we had no complaints and would recomend to stay if flying from birmingham.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words and we trust that you had a great holiday and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again, when you get the chance for another well derserved break.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Official webistes give a room price guide at over £100; if you can't negotiate a reduction go somewhere else. It's yet another mass produced hotel that is clean(ish) with so-so food and facilities. All a bit tired, but fit for purpose. PLUS they offered a vegetarian alternative! I ended up in the dark when the last of five lightbulbs popped as I got dressed. There's no excuse for this. How can they clean the room in the dark? The bedroom windows were on the outside the filthiest I've ever seen, but inside all was neat and tidy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we do apologise for the light bulbs, these have now all been replaced. With regard to tarrifs - please use our Britannia Website for the latest Special Offers, we always offer the best available rate and have very good seasonal offers available.

Kindest regards

Reviewed September 19, 2010

A group of us stayed here for three nights whilst working as "extras" in "Upstairs Downstairs" which we were filming in Leamington Spa. Admittedly we were leaving the hotel about 10 am and returning quite late in the evening, so we didn't eat there or sample the entertainment, but when it comes to value for money (£34 per room per night) it can't be faulted. After I had made the last-minute booking I read some reviews and my heart sank, but I really don't know what people expect for their money! As for some reviewers who stayed there on holiday (in Coventry?) well that may be a different story. All our party agreed that the rooms, bathrooms, bedding etc., were spotlessly clean although the place would benefit from redecoration throughout (It is a bit 1970's). The staff were very helpful, especially the bar staff and night porter who made sure we could get a drink upon our late return.

All in all we just wanted somewhere to stay to locally which was reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. This hotel fit the bill perfectly and if I was looking to stay in that area again (very handy for the NEC) I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AnneBrian

Thank you for your posting, we are glad you enjoyed your time with us and the staff would like me to say they really enjoyed your stay with us
Kindest regards