“Feeding time at the zoo”

Coventry Hill Hotel
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Cardiff
“Feeding time at the zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The room and food were okay at the hotel, I did not expect much as we only had one night with a trip with a coach company, however mealtimes were awful due to it being a carvery set up in the dinning room but the serving area was far to small to cope with the amount of people staying at the hotel.They also had us crammed in the dinning room so tight we could not even get to our table! Not a pleasant experience when a little more thought into the layout would be easy enough option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Skipton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

For the money this place takes some beating.I was riding my bike from north Yorkshire to Devon on none-motorway roads and broke my journey for a rest etc etc. The room was basic but immaculately clean and with decent TV/coffee tea. The bar meal was cheap and nourishing, delivered in 5 minutes despite 5 coach parties all seemingly enjoying themselves in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Breakfast was tops. Self service, ample to eat and decent conditions to eat it in the restaurant. Sure, the furniture is well used (and comfy ) the place is a bit worn out, but two meals ,4 pints of lager and a first class sleep for £68 ?????? you don't find that sort of deal common throughout rip-off Britain. The place is easy to find , set on a hill above the A45. Really convenient for a traveller like myself. And.....the lifts worked fast and effectively. i have visited many other hotels costing twice the price and more... but the Coventry Hill beats them all ends up. The place rocks!!

Room Tip: Top floor. Overlooking the A45. Hell of a view. The closed window will cut out the noise.
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have visited this hotel several times now. It is used by bus groups etc and is clearly at he bottom rung of the market. I like it though ......

The double rooms are big (the ones I've had). You get coffee and tea in your room, shampoo, the tv works and I feel safe there. Yes it is tired. Yes it is a bit fawlty towers but when you pay £20-£25 per night I cant quibble.

Clearly not to everyones taste but for one night, it clearly has everything you could need. It would be interesting to hear a ladies point of view on the "do you feel safe" angle but I for one will be using them again.... if they keep their prices low. Look for SAVER rates on the Britannia Hotels website.

Room Tip: If you are on your own, get a double room for the same price as a single. More space. Watch out for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel and both times I have been very impressed with the staff on both occasions.

The hotel itself is in a perfect location yet does need a face lift inside and out.

The staff! are just awesome. There are 2 barmen in particular that impressed with customer service. Alfonse Viola and Dave Howey were awesome and catered to our every wish, they even kept the bar open for our party or people until the last person went to bed. Thanks guys!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I would like to thank the staff for making the weekend a great experience specificly Dave Howey, Alfonse Viola, Kingsley Gordon and Dim Zyka who could not do enough of our party .
The food provided for our party on saturday night was outstanding the service was first class and we will be returning at christmas for a third time and hope to see you all then thank you ......

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently stayed here, I was impressed with the room, much cleaner than I had expected, over all I found the hotel clean and pleasant, although from outside it looks kinda like an office block.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, in particular Dave Howey, Alfonse Viola, Kingley Gordon, and Dim Zyka, thankyou for all your help.
The only complaint I could make about the place is disabled access, it's quite difficult to get wheelchairs in and out of the lifts, luckily I can walk a few paces, as I hadto to lift chair up and round into lift, If I did not have use of my legs, I would not have been able to get to/from room unassisted.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed the weekend at this hotel as part of a group of about 20. The hotel, while in need of a shoving into the 21st Century of decoration, is very well kept and clean. They were also really accomodating; they made sure that we were all on the same floor, we were also given the use of a function room for a party and as there were no patrons in nearby rooms, the staff let us keep partying with the music on and an open bar until 2am!
We had some great bar staff on both nights of our stay; Dave Howey and Alfonse Viola, were great at keeping us well hydrated, kept the bar open a bit later for us and were lovely to chat with and both very polite.
We also had Kingsley Gordon and Dim Zyka looking after us, who were likewise lovely amd polite people.
All staff concerned were just great and very reapectful of the nature of our party- it's not every day you're faced with nearly 20 Trekies in uniform getting tontoed at a bar!

• Stayed May 2013