“Absolutely disgusting - how it's still open I do not know...”
Review of Hylands Hotel

Hylands Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Folkestone
“Absolutely disgusting - how it's still open I do not know...”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel (if it can even be called that) is awful, felt dirty from the minute we walked in to the minute we left. We ended up booking a last minute room at another hotel and requesting a refund which they gave to us after an argument and a phone call to the management! Do not stay here its gross

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Anna G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
torbay
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a concert and found the staff very helpful. We went to our room which was an executive room and it was very spacious and clean. The bedding was clean and comfortable as I was 30 weeks peegnant I needed the comfort which I got.
Location is a small walk but pleasant.
Price was reasonable for two people.
Only problem I had was we were on the top floor and there was not any lifts

• Stayed May 2013
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked this online to stay at after a concert and I truly believe it to be my most disappointing hotel experience to date.

Initially we were put into room 61 which was fully the most dirty and disgusting hotel room I have ever seen. I have attached some photos which show mould all around the windows (windows which look like they have never been cleaned), miscellaneous stains on the floor, crumbs on the bed where it had not been cleaned properly and areas of the room which have not been finished (the wall peeling away). How you believe this room to be acceptable to rent out I truly do not know.

We requested to be moved room due to this. This was dealt with swiftly and by the gentleman on receptions response it seems that this is a regular occurance. We were moved into room 58, a vast improvement however this was still the bare minimum from what I would expect from hotel accommodation. It was a nice size, very large in fact, however there are still damp patches on the wall, some mould around the shower and overall did not look like it had been cleaned recently or regularly.

On entering the room we requested more toilet paper to be bought up as there had been none left in there, a request we had to redo again later as no one had bought us any.

Also in the bathroom there were used sanitary products still in the bin where it had not been emptied, that quite frankly is disgusting.

The final issue is to do with the adjoining restaurant (I believe this to be same ownership due to the linked entrances & joint bar). We got some food upon returning to the hotel to take out. Although the quality of the food was very nice, I was initially impressed, I found a long grey hair in my food - yet another issue with our stay - I would like to add the gentleman on reception seemed genuinely embarrassed by this.

Room Tip: If you do not get a decent room request to change, we got a more acceptable room this way.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt V
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Hylands twice, and it is a very low-budget hotel. Peeling wallpaper, some mould in the bathroom, a lot of noise all night from the next room (arguments or something else...). I was also extremely disappointed that there was no hot water on my second stay! The staff were polite, but disinterested. The hotel regularly offers the lowest room rates in Coventry, and to an extent you get what you pay for, but I think I'll pay a bit more in future and go elsewhere.

However, going into the restaurant attached to the hotel is like entering a different world. The Jeera Indian Restaurant is very clean, smart, and modern looking, and seems to have been refurbished recently. I really enjoyed the food: it's a fairly conventional indian menu, delicious, not too oily. The paratha I tried had a nice flaky texture, the house wine was fine, the whole meal was very tasty. Service was very polite and attentive. I would put this high up on my list of favourite Indian restaurants! The only drawback is that it was almost empty, so the atmosphere was a bit strange. I would encourage people to give it a try, it deserves more customers. I hope to return to Jeera, but I'll be avoiding the hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

booked in for 2 nights, staff were apathetic at best, room was dirty, mouldy tiles in bathroom, no sink plug, no rail for coathangers in wardrobe, no coathangers, no hot water at all on mng of departure, when told of this staff said very sorry cannot get an engineer out today !!!! unbelievable !!!! ants crawling on bar top, outside of building a shabby disgrace, all in all disgusting , please avoid staying here.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Keith M
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The service provided from booking, communication and arriving was great. Initially walking in is a really nice hotel foyer, reception, bar/lounge area and there is car parking at the front. Going upstairs to our room the stairs and hallways all ok. There were tea making facilities, tv , towels and the bedding very clean. We entered our room and were a bit disappointed as there was heavy mould above window, ensuite a bit tatty, cob webs hanging from ceiling and just needed decor freshening up. Apart from that the hotel was nice, in a handy location for Coventry and very reasonably priced. People staying there instead of using bin to put cigarette ends throw them on floor and gravel by entrance, it doesn't look very nice and could benefit by being cleaned up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim N
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was booked in here via a work commitment. When I relayed what the hotel was like, I think it's fair to say they won't be booking anyone else there!
General appearance of everything was shabby to say the least. Walking through the foyer and up the stairs (watch you don't trip on raised stair/carpet rods) which could have done with a good hoovering, I was nervously intrigued to see what the room would be like. It matched my sinking expectations!
First impression was that is smellt of stale cigarettes, curry and a hint of body odour...nice! I immediately opened the windows. Second impression was the decor...I didn't know that sellotape was a recommended means of attaching wallpaper to walls?! (Btw, it doesn't work as the paper was hanging off and bulging precariously in places!)
The bedlinen was actually very crisp and clean, so at least I didn't feel too scared to sleep in it. Bathroom was very past its best, but was also clean.
Based on the other reviews I've read, I'm now heartily glad that breakfast had not been booked for me and I could just quietly eat my own fruit and crispbread, etc which I'd brought.
As a musician, I've stayed in lots of small hotels and B&Bs which operate on a budget, but I've never stayed in a place where I actually thought, "I bet most of their business is just rooms being booked an hour at a time!!!"
Avoid this place like the plague, no matter how cheap it is, it is truly dreadful!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business