“Not the greatest”

Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Not the greatest”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hylands hotel last week,the room i had was ok it had a tv phone and a comfy bed but it took an age to get any hot water and there was no heat coming out of the radiator,i went down for breakfast which i had paid for for two days and was given a choice of Mango juice or apple juice,i had Mango then a choice of tea or coffee followed by 2 toast,there were a few in the room with me and we all waited for the breakfast only to be told that was all we were getting.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor some have portable radiators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank brads27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Essex
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bedding was dirty, wallpaper hanging off walls, ketchup/some sort of sauce on the walls, dust and cobwebs, hole in the bed, radiator rusty, pubic hair on bedding, one of the plug sockets had melted to a point where it was unusable, bathroom and towels dirty, stains on carpet and bedding and an unusual scent. We stayed in the room for about 15 minutes then went downstairs to ask for a refund. We were moved to an executive suite which was cleaner, however when I was having a shower one of the tiles fell off the wall as it had propped up where it was loose, we also found pubic hair in the bedding and the room was quite dusty although didn't smell like the previous room. Would not go back!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank tallie_smith
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was possibly the worst hotel i have ever stayed in!! Please avoid this hotel if u expect just the basic cleanliness. It clearly doesnt get cleaned, the carpets were sticky, their was stains on the walls of god knows what. The whole room had a vile smell to it. And the bath....oh my i have never seen a bath like it, put it this way me and my friends wouldnt even shower because we didnt want to step into that bath. I wish we would have looked at previous reviews before staying here and i would have paid that little extra elsewhere to have had at least a clean room. The place needs reporting and investigating im sure it would get closed down.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Louise100712
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stupidly booked this hotel for 2 nights stay as I am a 4th year student who commutes from Newcastle. I wish I checked the reviews on here before doing so they must get the majority of their custom of the Internet because it is truly disgusting. Even worse than student accommodation.

My key didn't work in arrival I had to ask someone to reset it as it was a plastic key.

When opening the room up the stench was unbelievable. It stank to high heaven and was dirty. The bathroom was unclean and there was grime behind the taps. The bedding stank and looked unclean I had a suspicion that the top Cover hadn't been washed in months and the bottom sheet consistent of a homeless persons fleece.

To sleep at night I had to put an empty takeaway box near my face as the stench was too much ...was scared I'd attract vermin but at least I didn't have to smell the stench. I woke up in the morning with a blocked nose and sore throat.

The curtains were really dirty and there was a leak the curtains actually blew with the wind. The TV actually was decent but half of the channels didn't work... I expected that.

The 'cleaning service' consistent of a man with plastic gloves (HAHA) who knocked and barged straight in ...you knock and wait for acknowledgement to see if there is anyone there DUH. I'm not sure what he was going to clean lol but I sent him away.

I kept all my clothes in my suitcase and covered myself in perfume as I was convinced I stank of the room when I went to lectures during the day.

I dared to have a shower once but I couldn't face going in again as there was pubes all over it and the curtain was mildew on it.

Seriously. Book the travel lodge in city centre if you want cheap and CLEAN accommodation. This place needs to be shut down immediately.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Healthiskey
rochester, UK
Reviewed March 20, 2013

reached at 11 pm, just wanted to sleep which was not meant to be..heater was not working..asked for it. got a standalone heater ..not effective at all..tough night for me..not to mention the room has not been cleaned ..and wanted to move out asap

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jenarochester_UK
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night whilst in Coventry for the football, We only wanted to use it as a "head down" base because it was bags in then straight out for the day and night.

Yes the Hotel is in need of Major work but we did see some work being done whilst there, the room we had was not brilliant but it had newish furniture in there but the bathroom was a mess.

We did not eat there so cannot comment on the food,

It served its purpose for the money we paid so cannot grumble at that and it does say Hylands Hotel not Hilton Hotel.

Read all reviews with an open mind and go with an open mind, 1 night was ok but 2 may have been a night too long.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ray B
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm a research student working in the area and I needed a hotel room because I couldn't be certain of catching the last train home at 2200. I picked HH because of the reasonable price (£27.99). However...
The toilet didn't work, the shower didn't work, the room wasn't clean, none of the electrical appliances worked (some were dangerous - the kettle didn't turn off).
Worst of all, the check in closed at 2200, which was the time of the last train anyway!
Wish I'd checked TA first.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo