“Not even 3rd world standards of cleanliness”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hylands Hotel

Hylands Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Not even 3rd world standards of cleanliness”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I sayed at this hotel regularly about 5 years ago, when it was a clean, fairly tired, but acceptable hotel.
Conditions upon my recent stay challenge adequate description.

The only possible redeeming feature of this hellhole could be that the carpets may undoubtedly be of use for medical research, as it must surely be rare to find such an array of bodily samples in one place !

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank 359282

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Nottm
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I work in coventry and needed to stay overnight and booked what appeared to be a nice hotel from the outside. I was in an executive room and the two seater sofa and chair had many many stains, I'm sure you can immagine what. the shower only had cold water, if I had tried it in the evning I wouldnt have stayed but I was in late so went straight to sleep. I even told them it didnt work and they provided no alternative. The hotel has a hygeine rating of 1 so that meant I didnt even dare try any food. The black out blind didnt reach the bottom of the window and the curtains were just for show so didnt actually close, so I had a very bright line of light through the room all night. As other people have commented there were just heaters rather than heating, but mine was turned on for me whilst I was out which is extremely unsafe as they shouldnt be left attended. The list goes on and on is all I can say.

Room Tip: dont stay here.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Theresa W
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Had to find somewhere at the last minute for 1 night due to unforeseen circumstances but would definitely not go back under any circumstances. The room was cold, no heating at all; even the extra electric heater did not work. The shower failed to provide any water and that in the hand basin never rose above lukewarm. Some TV channels did not work and one window did not shut properly. The room had not been hoovered beforehand and its decor was grubby; the corridor was smelly with filthy carpets. Breakfast was advertised as continental or English but there was no sign of English so cereals and toast had to do; at least when offering to pay for it I was told it was 'on the house', the only plus point of the stay. The staff were friendly and polite but sadly this did not make up for a hotel which was well below any acceptable standard.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank paul l
March
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I was looking forward to my stay at the Hylands Hotel, Once I got here I couldn't wait to leave the place. The park bench opposite the hotel would of been comfier than all the matteress piled up together to sleep on.

When I looked at the blanket on the bed, I found someone else's blood, maybe not even washed! Drinking cups were dirty, dirty towels, disabled friendly YOUR KIDDING ME, stairlift installed to go up about 8 steps outta 20 steps to the first floor where the rooms are. Shower had mould in it. This hotel stinks to high heaven, I feel for the ladies that have to use the down stairs toilets, also toilets in the room don't flush great, triple flush anyone!

The boiler in this place must be clean or full of spiders because it never worked the whole time we was here.

The bar, when we arrived we looked at the price list, Oooo I'll have that please, sorry we don't stock this anymore. Barrels needed changing, expensive and if you wanted a pint you might as well put a flake in it and walk around the park opposite licking it till you got to the beer!!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT COME HERE IS MY TIP! Spend the extra money and go city centre travel lodge?
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wrighty55
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The hotel is very poor. There is a grubby area immediately adjacent to the entrance where people smoke and it is covered in cigarette butts all over the ground. This is your first impression of the hotel. We paid extra for an executive room for two nights which was large but very jaded, with curtains hanging off the rail in places. The heating in the room did not work properly. The beds had one under sheet laid directly on the mattress, with no mattress cover. The toilet bowl was a nasty brown colour as it hadn't been cleaned properly. I even managed to clean it up a bit with the brush myself! The bed was made after the first night's stay but none of the cups used were washed. The breakfast (although complimentary) was terrible - we were presented with a cooked breakfast on a plate, covered in cling film. It was obviously cooked some time before as it was completely cold. The people running the hotel are pleasant enough but have no idea about standards of cleanliness, etc. It is a terrible place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank A S
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Very warm welcome for myself and dog from friendly courteous staff, warm corfortable room, good bed, lashings of hot water for shower, nice bar where dog was welcome, n o complaints will stay there again. V. Marshall..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Vairyna M
North East England
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as a base for getting to Stoneleigh park for Race Retro 2012. We left it late to book so didn’t have a lot of choice. I have to be honest it was the price that attracted us - £60 for two of us for two nights. I made the mistake of booking before I read the reviews on here but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. I am a strong believer that you get what you pay for, I have stayed in many budget hotels that have been ‘average’ and perfectly ok for the money, but this was ridiculous! On arrival it took a long time for anyone to appear at the desk, and once they did they didn’t really listen to what I was saying at all. Once we finally got our key cards we asked if someone could serve us at the bar, this took about 15 minutes, when we asked for some ice that took another 10 and they didn’t know how much the drinks were! The stair lift was ‘Out of use’ which wouldn’t have been good for disabled guests.
The reception area at the hotel isn’t too bad but once you start going up the stairs….. dear me! The smell of damp and smoke was really strong, the carpets were torn and stained. I was surprised to see out bedroom was described as an ‘executive’ room. The wallpaper was coming off in various places, there were huge gaps between the skirting’s and the wall, the bed was completely lop sided and there was dust all over. Behind our headboard was a very large unidentified stain. The bathroom was dirty and there was blood on the wall. The shower didn’t look like it had been cleaned for months and when I went to use the bath towel after a shower there was a huge black mark on it. A friend who was with us found underpants and socks in the drawers in his room.
I realise money is tight for everyone and I would hate to damage a business but I believe there are some things that just can’t be helped due to lack of money and others (such as blood on the bathroom wall, dust, stains) are down to plain laziness. There were people lounging all over in the reception area, I think the owners whole family and all of their friends were there.
I can see why they do non-refundable cheap rates because everyone would be asking for a refund otherwise!!
There is a sign outside stating that the hotel has an Indian restaurant inside but this was closed off. When we came back from our meal in Coventry city centre the whole of the seated area in reception had crisps and food all over the floor. Again, we had to be asked to be served at the bar and rather than the man behind reception doing it he called for someone else, a man appeared 5 mins later still fastening his trousers and rubbing the sleep from his eyes….. clearly been woken up to come and serve us. I could go on but I think you get the drift.
So all in all not a great experience, bordering on the bizarre at times! We certainly wouldn’t stay again unless I read some more positive reviews on here in the mean time.
The one plus is this hotel is in a very good location for Stoneleigh park (5 min drive) and Coventry city centre
It’s a shame the staff seem so lackadaisical in their attitude because with a little more effort this hotel could be so much nicer.
The hotel owners should really take note of these reviews and do something about it before it’s too late. Just a bit more time and effort would make all the difference.
It would be a shame to see the hotel go under which I think is where its headed if they don’t sort it out quickly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple