“A Proper Pub...”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I will admit, the Greyhound is my local. I have lived near it for over 7 years now. In that time I have never had a poor meal nor once have I not felt welcome by Leigh, Antoni or any of the staff. I’m not a big drinker, I probably go over 4 or 5 times a month. But whenever I have friends visit or relatives to stay it’s the first place we think of. The menu is kept up to date and you never feel nervous about trying new dishes as experience says it will not fail to meet or surpass expectations.
I would say the biggest issue is getting in when they are busy but this is part of the character of the place, if it was twice the size with a huge restaurant it would still be busy. So I would recommend if you want a table book early or go grab a table in the bar it’s the same excellent food in both.
I’m currently working in the USA for long periods and although my visits weren’t frequent it is one of the things I miss the most.
Oh and did I mention they keep winning pub of the year!
Keep it up Greyhound and see you soon..

Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have eaten at The Greyhound many times but as it was my 50th birthday decided to go for something a little different and booked private dining.It was brilliant! We had all the privacy of dining at home but we had fantastic food, great service and nothing was too much trouble. We all ate different meals from the very varied menu and each one was beautifully cooked and arrived very quickly considering how many there was of us. My friend has since booked The Greyhound for her birthday and she too had a lovely meal. I would recommend The Greyhound to anyone. If you want great food in a lovely pub atmosphere this is the place to eat.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Excellent food. three of us went for a lunch time snack. we all had something different, it all arrived at the same time and was fresh and hot.
We will be back again very soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

As the title says, I'm a longtime customer of the Greyhound and also worked there for a quite a few years under both the previous landlord and current (Who's now been there for ten years) - I'd like to think this gives me a little insight into the place and I can honestly say the food and service is as good now as it's ever been.
The visit I'm writing about now was a family affair - my parents 40th wedding anniversary (We prebooked) - and there were 22 of us in attendance including three children - aged 8, 5 and 2 - on a Sunday lunch so we took up a large part of the dining room. The starters and main courses were pre-ordered several days in advance (After Leigh the landlord emailed us the menu) because we were well aware that such a large group could be problematic when it comes to ordering. The food was absolutely delicious (I had duck carpaccio to start followed by roast turkey) with no complaints from anyone in the group and one of the best things I can say is that all 22 meals arrived within minutes of each other, I'd had visions of the first person to get a meal finishing before the final one came out but it certainly wasn't an issue. The ever polite staff were always in attendance for drinks orders and at the end for coffee and desert orders and at the end of it my parents were more than happy with the service they'd received for a good price.
I genuinely cannot recommend this place enough - for instance I've just given it a great review and I haven't even mentioned the beer! I believe they've just won the local CAMRA branches best pub award which speaks more about the quality of the ale than I ever can!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

(This has been re-posted as somehow they managed to get my other review removed!)
Family gathering...7 adults, 7 children! Were quickly made to feel unwelcome. Was told by a female member of they're staff that "They'd (the children) Better not run around" God forbid children should have fun with their family! She rolled her eyes and had a look of distaste to which we decided we would rather not eat in the restaurant. We pride ourselves on our children s impeccable behavior. They are always polite and well mannered. They may speak to each other! But as we don't live in Victorian times any longer we do generally allow this! We feel that their attitude towards us was undeserving as we had just walked through the door. As far as we are concerned "The Greyhound Inn" is not the family friendly pub we had been advised to visit!( Ironically My last review was removed because i had given them a poor review for their food Which i obviously hadn't tried as we didn't stay, but if their kitchen is as filthy as their loo??..I'm glad we didn't! )

8  Thank GadsbyJo
LeighCoventry, Owner at The Greyhound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

I was away during your visit and was shocked to read your review upon my return and as you created an account especially for this, your first ever review on trip advisor I can see that you obviously had a point to make so we have since thoroughly investigated this for you.. Having spoke to several members of staff and customers whom I was advised were present at the time I decided to review what happened from our CCTV system which is fortunately located throughout our pub.

What i discovered was that our small dining room was nearly full on that occassion but the images show a group of young (your) children come running through the door racing through the dining room and sitting at a table that was already pre booked, the table they sat at would fit 7 people. some 15 seconds later the children are followed in by a group of adults (yourselves I presume) who proceed to join them at the table. Our waitress then arrives and attempts to explain that firstly the table is already booked out (our dining room runs on a booking system as it is so small) and that secondly it only accomodates 7 people but your group are attempting to squash 14 around it.

Whilst she is trying to see if she can sort something out for you, your children are going to and fro from the table which is obstructing another waitress attempting to get past carrying hot food. this is when our initial waitress requests that the children dont run around in the dining room for obvious reasons. Other customers have spoken to me and confirmed what was said and basically expanded on what we could already view from the CCTV system.

We appreciate you like to take your children with you when you come on a barge holiday from Coventry and we have plenty of families who join us with young children, however, we have a duty of care for the safety and comfort of all of our staff and fellow diners and it would appear that in this instance you obviously did not appreciate the request raised specifically for your children.

With regards our kitchen hygene which you mention as an irreliivant and hypothetical item, we are proud to have been the venue that worked with Coventry city council in introducing their new measurement system some years ago and we continue to have a strong relationship with them as they consistently give us maximum ratings for our hygeine. so in summary on that respect we can assure you that everything is cleaned to the highest standard.