“service really let this hotel down”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Whilst browsing on the internet I came across a dine and stay offer on the macdonald hotels web. The offer stated that if you dined in the Shilton restaurant on the set menu at £26.95 per person and had a bottle of house wine you could stay in an executive room for free. When I phoned the hotel I was told the offer was not available friday nights, so I pointed out that on the internet it states the offer is availble both fridays and sundays. The girl took my number so she could check, within 15 mins she had called and said that she had been thinking of another offer and yes I could stay on a friday night. When the girl was running through all the conditions of the offer it appeared that not only did you have to have dinner and wine but breakfast as well. I did mention that this was not actually stated on the web site - but was happy to take breakfast as even with wine it was going to be £100 cheaper than any other DBB rate I could find for the hotel.
When we checked into the hotel the reception staff seemed pleasant enough, they were efficient with regards to checking us in and we received our key quickly. My husband and myself both found it a little strange that we were not given any information regarding restaurant opening times or locations especially as we were on the dine and stay offer. I was actually expecting to be asked if we wished to book a table in the restaurant as they knew we were going to eat in there. In the room there was an information book but under food and drink it told us how to book a conference or banquet, no information on the restaurants and opening times.
Our room in the Stopford Wing was pleasant enough a typical Travel Lodge style and of a similar size, slightly better decorated, although the bathroom was of a higher standard, with a large separate shower cubical.
The bar area was very busy as there was a wedding party in the hotel, but we didn't have any problems getting served and they were very efficient at collecting all the empty glasses, emptying ash trays e.t.c.
On our way to the bar we tried to book a table in the restaurant for 8.00 and were told that a big Christmas party was book for 8.00 so we might have to wait for our food, we booked for 7.30. The food in the restaurant was very nice, service was OK but then again there were only three tables served that night, the Christmas party at 8.00 never appeared. The only thing I could pick up on was when serving the wine the waitress poured out half a glass for tasting, then proceeded to fill my husbands glass before mine - OK so now I'm being picky.
Right breakfast - this unfortunately is where the hotel went down in my estimations and quite rapidly, even my husband was getting irritated. We went into the restaurant about 9.40 we were asked to sit at a shared table set up for 10 people. Fine if I was with a group of friends at the wedding or in a youth hostel, but not what I was expecting. So I asked if we could sit at a table for two as the were four empty but still with dirty crockery from previous guests, the waitress actually cleaned it straight up and re-set it for us without a grumble. The selection of food on offer was good there was a wide variety of cold continental and the hot menu looked good. We got hot drinks virtually straight away but then it took 20 mins before we actually managed to get someones attention to take our order for hot food. About 10 mins later we were asked if we would like toast, this never appeared. In the mean time people left right and center were complaining that they had ordered X,Y,Z and they were still waiting, food was being served but people had got fed up of waiting and left. Eventually the waitress appeared to inform us that our breakfast would be about two more minutes, but they were busy. Our food arrived, my husbands fry up was perfect no tomatoes as ordered, my haddock was fine hot and tasty, but the eggs were hard poached and stone cold, I put the plate on the side of the table, it was whisked away without so much as asking if it was OK. It was apparent that although there were three waiting staff they could not cope, there appeared to be a manager running round giving orders to clear tables e.t.c why didn't he get on and get his hands dirty!
I really don't think the hotel staff had been informed about the offer that we were staying on as when I checked out the amount I was expecting to pay was the price that we were being charged for the room rate plus our dinner, wine and breakfast on top. The bill was sorted out quickly.
I am so glad I was not paying the internet DBB rate of £220 or BB rate of £170 I would have been highly disappointed. I would say if you can get a room with £100 knock off these rates that would be a fair price.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank delacourt
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed November 5, 2006

The hotel has large, well appointed bedrooms and a good quality restaurant.

The communal areas are outstanding and the perfect place to enjoy a drink, complementory nibbles, a roaring fire and a good book.

The breakfast offers a wide selection from continental buffet to the full English. There is even the option of smoked haddock, which is well worth trying. For evening meals there is also a wide choice which varies daily. All of the meals were of a very high standard.

The restaurant staff are very good, but the reception and bar are often unstaffed, so you have to wait around for service. However the staff are very helpful when they are there. It appeared to be more of an issue of management - one gets the impression of overstretched staff trying to fulfill a number of roles.

The patio area for the bar is directly undereath some of the rooms and the bar is open till late, so you can have late-night revelllers keeping you awake in summer. To avoid this, ask for a room on the front of the house (or join the party!).

I experienced a problem with the booking via the hotel's website. The booking link passes you, unknowingly, to a third party booking agent. The booking agent took a credit card number to hold the reservation and I settled the bill with the hotel on departure. I later discovered that the booking agent had also taken the full amount from my card, without my authority. The hotel denied any responsibility and left me to deal with the agent to retrieve my money.

All in all the Ansty Hall is a good hotel, with great food, but suffers from being understaffed.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Dave_Cakes
Reviewed August 12, 2006

We have just returned from a one night stay at the Ansty Hall. Our friends were getting married and the reception was held here. We found the hotel very friendly and accommodating throughout our stay. I phoned the day before to request an earlier check in and this was granted with no questions asked. As soon as we walked through the door we were greeted with a friendly welcome with the staff interested in our journey (unfortunately a day delayed due to recent security alert!). We were in our room by 11am and it did not disappoint. Roomy with everything you'd ever want. I particularly enjoyed the massive shower. A lovely private venue for the wedding was the icing on the cake with beautiful grounds for photographs. The only downer is food and drink in the hotel are vastly overpriced. £5.20 for two juice drinks (non alco) and £4.90 for a vodka and coke. Hence noone was buying rounds and a few were sneaking off to their rooms to get laid into cheap booze they had brought with them! Also no leisure facilities so no chance of a swim. With all said the friendly staff and comfortable surroundings make this venue. I would stay here again at the right price!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member

5  Thank daveysprecious
Reviewed February 18, 2006

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank hotelscout
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#9 of 39 in Coventry
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Macdonald Ansty Hall? Share your experiences!