“Good, but not great”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Booked through Secret Escapes and I was expecting better! Hotel and grounds great but service started poor, especially in the bar/restaurant. Fortunately it improved after the first night when the maître d returned (I assume it was his day off when we arrived) and he had things running as they should be. Food was also just average with good selection but I'm not sure the chef tasted as he/she cooked because it was often lacking seasoning, again the first evening was particularly poor with not one really good dish between the two of us. They also need to work on the wine list!
The hotel obviously provides a good service to business people due to the excellent motorway links and the car park was often full with Audi's and BMW's. However there were also several couples and families so Macdonald provide a pretty good all round service.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Ansty Hall

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked this hotel as a stop off from Bournemouth to York for one night.Very easy to find and easy free parking.Booked through Secret Escapes because sounded such a great deal.We arrived and greeted probably the best way we have ever been on arrival.Nothing was too much trouble we were offered our complimentary cream tea at what ever time suited.We were told where things were breakfast arrangements wake up calls dinner,you name it nothing was overlooked.The best receptionist,without being overpowering,we have ever come across.Room was spacious and very comfortable however once again the shower was the best we have ever come across in an hotel,i didn't want to come out.We stayed in Stopford Wing.Then breakfast another great experience the quality of the food and again 2 fantastic waitresses nothing too much trouble.Fabulous sense of humour and extremely helpful.The managemaent of this hotel must be delighted with their staff,it was certainly a great pleasure to stay and believe me it wont be long before we come and stay again.A very big thank you.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed here twice over the last year for business meetings (4 nights in total) and it is a lovely venue for both work and pleasure. As a business stay, it is nice to be somewhere with character and lovely grounds, always helps to clear your mind at breaks and lunch. Which brings me onto the food, which is very, very good and consistently good. Breakfast is buffet for fruits, pastries, juices, etc and then ordered for hot food. Lunch, again excellent whether buffet or ordered from the bar menu. Dinner, again excellent each time.

What really stands out is the service in the restaurant, the lady (sorry no name) cannot do enough for you and makes you feel very comfortable and at ease.

The Mews rooms are more recently refurbished, whereas the bathroom of the room in the main house of which I stayed most recently, could really do with a refurb. However, everything you could need to be comfortable is provided: robes, slippers, water, etc.

My only real gripe would be that there is a charge for wifi which in this day and age, is simply unacceptable.

Lovely venue and one of the few places I look forward to visiting on business.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a brief overnight stay at the Ansty Hall and had no complaints. Room was well appointed, bed comfortable, good shower. Reception friendly and bar staff excellent. Definitely a 4 star experience. Rather nice outside bar area for a drink on a summer night (it was actually a warm July night). Slight traffic noise from our room at the front, light sleepers may be better off at the rear of the hotel.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked our wedding with Ansty Hall almost 2 years before our big day!! We were bowled over by the building and the nice grounds!! It isn't cheap but i thought it would be the perfect place for our special day and at £78 per head, I expected nothing but perfect! Well, I was heading for a big fall! Everything leading up to the wedding day was fine, and when I checked in the night before it was fine but the problems started at the wedding breakfast - soup to start, no bread rolls came although plates, knifes and butter was set up - asked for bread rolls - out they came after soup had been eaten and they were FROZEN! Had to then ask for the wine to be served, then I had to ask for the squash for the children! Rather than enjoying my wedding breakfast with my guests I was constantly worrying about are we getting everything we paid for?? Service was slow and not enough staff for the number of guests we had!! Then came the evening recpetion which was held in a different room to the breakfast - we had arranged for our evening guests to arrive at 7PM - but our room was not ready until 8PM so lots of hanging around until our room was ready! - The DJ we booked through Ansty Hall and had no carisma, may have well saved £385 and put an ipod in the corner of the room! When the dancefloor was full, he would put on an inappropriate song and watched the dancefloor clear - maybe he thought it was a game! We had one member of staff on the bar and some guests were waiting up to 20minutes for a drink whilst they watched her collect glasses and clean them! Then my cake went to be cut up and a plate arrived shortly after with sliced cake - after a few minutes it had gone into the cake boxes I provided! I asked for more to be brought out! My cake was 4 tier (£400) so I knew there was plenty left - an hour later no cake had arrived so i stormed into the kitchen of the Orangery Suite to find NO cake! I told the bar woman to find my cake! She left our bar to race me into the kitchen of the main building, 15 minutes later my cake arrived but half my guests had left without cake!! As a bride on my special day I was not expecting to be in tears and constantly worrying about my cake and all the little things that were going wrong! Also be warned the bar prces are ridiculous! I didnt expect it to be cheap but when a glass of wine and a vodka and coke left very little change of £20 I was embaressed! How do they get away with this? After having many guest stay 2 nights, I was promised by the wedding co-ordinator that as I had alot of guests, a private room would be provided for the breakfast after the wedding for my 40 guests who had decided to stay over could join me and my husband the next morning.... After telling everyone to meet at 9.30am, I was greeted by people setting up a wedding fayre who were loud and rude and had no respect for my stuff and was told we would be eating in the main restaurant which was not big enought o seat all my guests and some had to wait or were sitted elsewhere! Some were waiting almost 45 minutes for a cooked breakfast which when arrived was some dried up cold bacon and some runny scrambled egg! All in all, I am really dissapointed and feel as though my wedding day has been spoilt by lack of customer service, lack of staff and I feel as though they just dont care! Please think twice about booking your wedding here, its not worth the distress and upset!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank l6z9a
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Enjoyable stay for 1 night, Staff were professional who acknowledged you by name, which was such a change from being addressed as "guys" as we are a mature married couple. Hotel food very good, however our stay was marred by the excessive cost of bar drinks.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElaineMary
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Arrived at the hotel early afternoon room absolutely fab, found shower door faulty rang reception within 3 minutes door was fixed hotel really apologetic. Couldn't fault the staff all very friendly especially Joyce at breakfast, she remembered every bodies name, room number and previous days order. Hotel very clean, grounds very well looked after. Food in the restaurant was cooked to a very high standard and reasonably priced £25 for three courses. Perfect would highly recommend. Only fault in my opinion would be the hair dryer not very powerful, I would take my own on next visit.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ali0763
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at the Ricoh Arena - Coventry

Been to Macdonald Ansty Hall? Share your experiences!