“Pretty good for a short stay”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sibiu, Romania
“Pretty good for a short stay”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed overnight here after arriving on a late flight into Birmingham. The room was in a seperate building to the main house and the very poor roadways and pathways had not been cleared of ice and snow so dragging my suitcase across to my room was not easy. The room was OK but could have done with a minibar so I could at least have a coke or something slightly stronger when I arrived, the bar had shut for the night.
I had a good nights sleep and a very good freshly cooked breakfast in the morning before I left, I am not sure the room and the amenities I could enjoy after arriving late (around midnight) were worth the cost of the room and they really need to do something with the paths and roadways because they were treacherous in bad weather.
I might try it again if I were arriving earlier and could try dinner in the restaurant

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had the complete misfortune to be booked in here on a business trip - but thankfully for a one night stay. Room was in an annex which meant leaving the main part of the hotel, accessing via a potholed, muddy gravel path. Room was worn and shabby, with noticeable worn patches in the carpet.

I'm not really impressed at having to put on a coat (and recross the muddy gravel path) to go for dinner; even less impressed by the lacklustre menu and a waiter who couldn't even describe the 'soup of the day'. I went for the steak - as did my colleague - and we were totally underwhlemed at the miniscule slice of meat - must have been all of 3 ozs - and a few handcut chips that demanded a close to £20 price tag. His reminder to the waiter that he had ordered it with a sauce was met with the question - 'Red or Brown'. He gave up.

Coffee? Ah, the 'machine had broken down' and eventually a couple of slow pouring cafetieres were rustled up. The coffee, itself, it has to be said was passable and probably the only high point of the evening.

Final insult was a £3.00 surcharge for using my credit card - thankfully a corporate one - to settle my bill.

Having travelled for many years, in international setting and having stayed at varying qualities of hotel, I can honestly say - without fear of contradiction - that the Macdonald Ansty Hall is beyond doubt the worst hotel I have ever had to stay in.

And yes, I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Munchkintothemax
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When the holiday Inn wanted in excess of £170 for a single night - I went in search of an alternative. Having found Ansty Hall, I am confident I will not be returning to the anonymity of the HI or the Hilton. Free WiFi and a large beautifully decorated room with a wonderful bathroom - separate bath and shower, well lit for us ladies. The bed was a large double, with good linens and decent pillows. Lighting in the main bedroom was dim to gloomy as seems to be the trend. It scored highly with me with regards to heating - nicely cool. I had dinner in the restaurant - which was plentiful and good with a nice choice of wines by the glass. Service was very good throughout my brief stay. Parking was convenient to my room - I was in the buildings near the conference facility. My only grumble was the walk between the main house and my accommodation could have done with better lighting. I turned my ankle walking on the uneven drive. Although to be fair, the next morning I realised I had found the only rough patch on the drive! The hotel is just minutes from the M6/M69 junction, as convenient as the alternative hotels on the triangle but with more personality and individualism. Will stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Wanted to enjoy a luxurious weekend break with my husband. On arrival first impressions were good, although a wedding was taking place (the in between part) we were booked in quite swiftly alongside a rather rude couple! But I had booked a classic room not realising it was in a separate part of the main house. (Stopford annexe) But wasn't too fussed until we walked into the room, it was like a cousin of a premier inn room, and in fact premier inn rooms were nicer than this. The curtains were closed which wasn't a nice first impression the room had a funny smell and the bed linen had a worrying sticky patch- I wasn't happy at all. My husband went back to reception to complain. We were quickly dealt with, although we had to pay extra we were moved to a feature room. This was much nicer, although there were a couple of stains on the armchairs we were quite happy. But the matresss definitely needs upgrading unless guests you like soft mattresses and pillows, which we certainly do not and in fact both our backs hurt the following day.
Had a lovely walk around the grounds, although there are many pot holes along the roads.
Had some food in the Shilton restaurant on the first night, this was most impressive although very expensive, the staff were particularly pleasant especially the friendly waitress and matrie'd.
At breakfast we met the same staff on as the night before, and you could not fault the service again or the delicious breakfast- definitely this side of the restaurant needs no development. Second day after a tiring day out we were looking forward to relaxing in our room and surprised to hear and see all the cleaning staff around at 5pm with all the equipment in the corridors, but they were very loud! Chatting overly loud and banging doors and cupboards, which disturbed our atmosphere.
Overall our advice would be to avoid the stopford annexe as guests and for the hotel to seriously update these rooms, also avoid buying drinks in the overpriced bar, certainly not worth it, take your own! Try the restaurant if you can afford it as the food was wonderful, but there is a nearby pub which we are going to try later!

Room Tip: Avoid the Stopford rooms at all cost!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lolligeorge
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business with a few colleagues. The hotel is beautiful set in lovely surroundings in a quite old and substantial building. I stayed inane of the bigger rooms (there's actually photos posted in the gallery of this review) very spacious room- took my seats for me to try during a 2 night stay. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. The food was beautiful. Especially enjoyed the very hearty breakfast- I must admit I ate too much and simply had to try all the different types of bread for toast with little pots of jam! Excellent - would definitely use again.

• Stayed August 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here with business last week and wasvvery impressed. The rooms were beautifully decorated, warm, clean with all facilities needed includong bathrobes and speakers in the bathroom. Service at reception was excellent however I did have a problem. I was awoken on a saturday morn at 6.30am by maids clinking around in their cupboard which was right next to my room (hazel). I had earplugs in and still woke up and the noise lasted for two hours.... until my hoped for wake up time. Im sure they could have been a little quieter and if not the walls need to be thicker as it literally sounded like they were in the room with me. Still a nice stay though

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Blissackerman1304
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to this hotel for an Afternoon Tea for my sisters birthday.
On arrival, welcome was quite frosty, receptionist seemed completely not interested in us at all.
We were sent to find a seat, and left for a while.Despite the fact that the Menu, distinctly said, "choice of teas", we were in fact not asked hat it was that we wanted.
Food was OK. another gripe, Menu says, " scones, in the plural", there was only one scone.
When we had exhausted the tea, we had to wait to find someone to ask for a top up.Never had to do that before.
Considering the price that we paid, £18.00 per head, it was not good value.Service throughout was quite poor.
Would not return, and would not recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends