“Terrible”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I visited this hotel/restaurant on the evening of Sunday 30th December.

When phoning to make the reservation I confirmed that an ala carte menu would be available.
When my 3 guests and I arrived we were told to sit in the lounge and somebody would be with us in a few moments - 15 mins later no sign of any waiting staff !! I went to the bar and asked had I understood correctly or should I still be waiting in the lounge? After some thought she told me to return to my seat and she would send somebody, OK 8 mins later a kid arrived and took our drinks order. 2 campari sodas served in a half pint glass, so much soda that you weren't sure if they had actually remembered to put the Campari in or not, a gin and tonic - no ice or lemon, having plonked them on the table, he returned with 4 beer mats and put them in the middle of the table, and kindly advised us these were our beer mats !!

I asked if we could see some menus, a young waiter arrived, more mud on his shoes than I have on my dog-walking wellies !! He proceeded to give me 3 menus, I pointed out that there was four of us !! It didn,t sink in that we might need another menu. Having looked at the Menu
(far from ala carte! but a set Sunday evening meal) I decided enough was enough, and we paid for the drinks and went to THE BELL at Monks Kirby, Incredible meal was then had by all.

Such a shame that MACDONALD hotels don't realise the scope they have with such a beatiful building and setting,

Room Tip: only tried to use the Restaurant, not the rooms
1 Thank ColinClarke3147

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our New Year's Eve gala dinner. There were four of us and we paid £149 each which included 6 course dinner, entertainment, overnight accomodation and full English breakfast. Service was great, lots of canapés and more than one glass of champagne. Drinks prices average for a hotel. A fixed set meal which was not everyone's choice so a couple of options would have improved it. Room was clean, pleasant and had everything we needed. The only other minor complaint would be that the entertainment was a bit loud for us and there isn't another room around the orangery to get away from the music and talk. Overall excellent although slightly higher price than other local hotels offering a similar deal for £125.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GillPerry
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for New Years Eve eve and New Years Eve! What can I say? It was absolutely fantastic. It is the only place I have ever stayed where the staff (without exception) have been 100% helpful, friendly and ..... smiley! Makes such a change from the indifferent service we are used to in the UK, I would go just for the service! The rooms we had (a party of 2 couples) were in the amin house - we were advised to ask for rooms in the house rather than the new rooms that are outside the main building and we were not dissapointed. The elegence and cleanliness were smashing. The main event on NYE was really good with great entertainment and it was lovely to wear proper 'black tie' clothing. Would definitely stay there again, and did not want to leave! Someone else has complained about the car park - who cares?? You can park right near the door to load and unload and the staff will fetch your car if you dont want to get wet!
Food was great - would have liked the open fire to have been lit, but apart from that one little thing, it was perfect. Thank you all x

1 Thank 55businesslady55
Milton Keynes
Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a great bunch of staff this hotel has. Smiling, helpful and welcoming and interested in fully meeting guests' needs ..... from frony of house right through to housekeeping Our room was spacious and very well maintained with decor that was easy on the eye. The ensuite had a bath and the shower was spacious too. The designers appear to have really thought things through. The powerful extractor fan was above the the shower and the bathroom mirror was heated - no misting up here. In the bedroom a mirror was perfectly placed on the wall in front of the dressing table and the wardrobe doors had full length mirrors. There was plenty of hanging space, plenty of hangers and plenty of shelf space for clothes. Ironing board, iron and hairdryer were easily to hand as was the tea and coffee and the complimentary bottled water. The room also had two comfortable arm chairs and a footstool. The buffet breakfast was very good despite the fact that we do prefer to have the hot items fresh from the kitchen. We really enjoyed our stay at Ansty Hall.

Room Tip: Away from the fire doors as the block we were in did not have fire doors fitted with automatic closi...
2 Thank Walkhome
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel for a business conference followed by dinner.

We arrived in torrential rain and the car park - which is not tarmacced - was a complete mudbath. It was impossible to pull a wheely case along through the stones and mud. A dreadful start.

A hotel of this standard can surely afford a decent car park?

Not much better with no rail up to the front door to get up the stairs.
There's no lift - steep staircase with NO rail. I have a slight walking disability and really struggled on these stairs.

Our room was quite nice with a comfy bed and well furnished. However, the toilet didn't flush properly which is a real nightmare.
The towels were a bit hard and not fluffy as was the provided dressing gown which was much too hard to use in comfort.

The so-called 'prawn cocktail' was a tasteless affair of shrimps passed off as prawns with no proper Marie Rose sauce. Possibly the worst prawn cocktail I've had in my life.

The salmon en croute was soggy and the Bailey's torte was devoid of Baileys.

The room where we had the conference had lots of hunting paintings in - not my favourite subject.

This was a business trip and not paid for my me so maybe I shouldn't complain.....but if I had been paying for it myself I would not be at all impressed.

Would I stay here again? No, not from choice, there's far better hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a working loo flush!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EPD
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Ansty Hall this year and the staff surpassed themselves. I could go about rooms, service food etc but why bother when the word excellent sums up out two night stay. Special mention to Preeti, Joyce and Karolina although everybody was beyond reproach I just happened to have a bit more contaxct with these ladies. The only way to make the shopping at the Birmingham Christmas Market less painful would be for the hotel to pay for all our shopping. As an aside the market is very nice although the stalls tended lack in variety - there may be 190 stalls but a lot of these sold the same merchandise.
Merry Christmas to all the the Ansty Hall

Plymouth, Devon, UK
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just returned home after a visit to Ansty Hall for the Christmas market in Birmingham we stayed for two nights and without exception all the staff members we encountered were courteous, friendly and helpful, a credit to the Macdonald hotel company.
On our arrival the hotel was warm and welcoming with a lovely open fire in the reception area Christmas flowers and decorations tastefully displayed .
There was a wedding party at the hotel on the Friday night and the management asked us if we would mind changing rooms because the room we were in on the Thursday night might be a little noisy due to the location of the party downstairs . They put us in room 2 in the main building which to our delight was one of the best in the hotel very large with a wonderful view of the gardens and a roll top bath and quiet !!. Both rooms were spotlessly clean and very well appointed the beds large and comfortable . We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel , breakfasts were very good with a wide choice available , the hot English breakfast freshly cooked to order. The dinners were of a very good standard with a good selection to choose from, I had duck on the first night and a very good chicken curry from the lighter menu on the second night . We highly recommend Ansty Hall as being very good value for money and having great customer service .