“Formal, quiet, large rooms”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our arrival was greeted by a formal and polite lady at reception. I guess she did all she needed to, but her lines seemed rehearsed and she wasn't at all welcoming. She did not offer any advice on what to do in the area, their restaurant, the gardens or anything. We were not offered a suitcase delivery, even though the building we had to go to was across gravel and in the rain to another building (we had to ask, but in the end our biggest bag was delivered for us). We assumed this may have been a typical formal and upmarket English reception, but I felt a little awkward.

We were to stay 2 nights. The weather was appalling but of course that could not be helped. It did mean we could not fully explore the property, especially the acres of landscaped gardens advertised (we did not even see them). We stayed in a modern wing to the side of the main reception building. It was not easy to find the door to, despite brief instructions from the receptionist. It was raining and cold, and I think it would have been nice to have someone show us to the room.

The room was a pleasant surprise, very large, with a full bath and a shower over the bath. View over the carpark - nothing special. Large bathroom, large, firm bed. Brilliant curtains which completely shut out the light (which was good because I'd been having problems staying asleep with the early sunrises).

Unfortunately for this review, I was struck what I believe was food poisoning from a local pub. The food was nice, but at about 2am on our first night in Ansty it all started to go wrong. This meant I could not enjoy the well-reviewed breakfast at the hotel, though since my husband was fine, he went and he said it was great.

I gave the hotel 4 stars. The last star was lost on the chilly receptionist, and the fact we had to walk by ourselves in the rain with all bar one of our bags, trying to find a door to a building we did not know. The room was great and I would have liked to enjoy the luxury for longer and waited for the rain to stop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We received a warm welcome from the staff and was offered help with our bags. The room was large and clean with a comfortable bed.We were out for the evening so can only comment on the breakfast.
This was the normal faye for Macdonals which was of a high standard. Our waiter informed us of a slight delay from the order of the cooked breakfast but this was due to each being cooked fresh.
It arrived hot and tasty a much better meal than some of the hot buffet breakfast of some hotels.
the staff pitched the service with a relaxed maner perfectly.
At £125 for 1 night B & B It was a bit expensive but I could not fault the room or the service.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I recently had a couple of nights here; and have stayed here before. This is a charming small country house hotel with a lovely garden.

It's a very popular wedding venue - so expect there to be one on if your stay is a summer weekend.  This was a bit of an issue as poor weather lead to the hotel's public areas being overwhelmed with wedding guests. Once they were taken through into a large dining room the issue dissipated.

Our check-in was friendly and efficient. We had a spacious room in the annexe: clean, comfortable and well-appointed.

The staff are a bit variable, raining from the exceptional to disinterested and rude.

As we needed to be out early at the weekend the hotel were kind enough to open for breakfast 1/2 early, at 0730 (breakfast at the weekend starts at 0800, which is a bit late). That was really good of them, however, on the second morning the staff were clearly annoyed with us for not ordering cooked items. That's a bit off, I know they made a special effort, but when we got up we found one of our party unwell, ourselves fairly full from the previous night's meal and dilatory service also ran us a bit short on time.  At relatively pricey 4 star hotel I expect to be treated with courtesy and respect,  even when I may put staff out a little. I don't expect friends who were down later to overhear staff being critical of me.

Having said that, the cooked breakfast items we enjoyed on our first morning were excellent. Very high quality ingredients.

We had two meals in the intimate Shilton Restaurant. Generally the food and service was very good. The Maitre d' is particularly helpful. During our stay we had excellent smoked salmon, beef shin and lamb. There were some issues: the very late delivery of a dessert on the first night and rib-eye steaks cooked well done rather than the merequester, as requested.  To be frank: the steaks were a bit thin and lacked flavour. I've had better at my local pub.

We did get a free bottle of wine to compensate though. The wine cellar here is very good, containing some real gems.

I really want to like this place more than the experience permits. There are some staff here who try really hard to provide a good customer experience; much of the food offering is excellent. However, the hotel is too small and tired to live up to its ambitions. There is a tendency for some staff to lose customer focus and others don't seem interested in customer service. The overall impression given is of a slightly pretentious hotel that doesn't live up to its promise.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Ansty Hotel is part of the McDonalds group of hotels.
It is in a very picturesque setting in the countryside but close enough to get to via the
motorway/main road networks.
When we visited we were attending a relations wedding, everything regarding the wedding
went very well, the arrangements the meals and the evening party were all very well
organised . The rooms were also very well appointed with everything you would require for
an enjoyable stay. The only slight downside is, because it’s a 4 star hotel you pay 4 star
prices for any drinks that are required. If you are thinking of staying here it could be
worthwhile seeing if they do an all inclusive package (e.g. wine included )

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Quiet roooms, clean sheets and bathrooms. Nice, hard-working staff. Has kind of an old-fashioned hotel feel. Only downsides were the hallways are dark and a little shabby and the cleaning products that the housekeepers use smell a bit funky.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank QQuietroomfan
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I were staying at a hotel near Ansty in Warwickshire, whilst there we decided to book an evening meal at the nearby Ansty Hall Hotel, owned by the MacDonald group. What a wise decision that was, we were greeted by a very polite and attentive manager called Elio (forgive me if I have his name wrong), he was a gent, also the girls were lovely and chatty. We both had three courses and the food was to die for, a nice Italian red for my wife a couple of pints bitter for me culminated in a lovely evening. A VERY big thank you to all at The Ansty Hall Hotel.

1  Thank 186361Steve
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at Ansty Hall for a friends wedding during the Jubilee Weekend.
The hotel is set amoungst beautiful grounds and has wonderful views. Unfortunately the weather was terrible when we stayed so we didn't get to have a good walk around the place.

Our check in was slow but not horrendous and when we got to the room I was pleasantly surprised. We did not stay in the main hall, we were situated in the new building. The room was large had a kingsize bed, new furniture and a the bathroom was fantastic (separate bath and shower).

The bar is horrendously overpriced- a large glass of white win and gin and tonic costing £16.80 so I wouldn't go there if you wanted to sit in the bar for the evening. The wine list although extensive had nothing under £21 per bottle.

We didn't eat dinner in the hotel as the wedding had food which was pleasant.

Breakfast was lovely but finished at 10am. Although during the week 10am seems acceptable, I have to say I think that 10am on a weekend and bank holiday is very early (most other hotels I have stayed in run to 11am on days like this), The breakfast was wonderful however a full Scottish and cold buffet.

Check out again was slow but not horrendous. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to stay in,

1  Thank MrsLTravel