Our arrival was greeted by a formal and polite lady at reception. I guess she did all she needed to, but her lines seemed rehearsed and she wasn't at all welcoming. She did not offer any advice on what to do in the area, their restaurant, the gardens or anything. We were not offered a suitcase delivery, even though the building we had to go to was across gravel and in the rain to another building (we had to ask, but in the end our biggest bag was delivered for us). We assumed this may have been a typical formal and upmarket English reception, but I felt a little awkward.
We were to stay 2 nights. The weather was appalling but of course that could not be helped. It did mean we could not fully explore the property, especially the acres of landscaped gardens advertised (we did not even see them). We stayed in a modern wing to the side of the main reception building. It was not easy to find the door to, despite brief instructions from the receptionist. It was raining and cold, and I think it would have been nice to have someone show us to the room.
The room was a pleasant surprise, very large, with a full bath and a shower over the bath. View over the carpark - nothing special. Large bathroom, large, firm bed. Brilliant curtains which completely shut out the light (which was good because I'd been having problems staying asleep with the early sunrises).
Unfortunately for this review, I was struck what I believe was food poisoning from a local pub. The food was nice, but at about 2am on our first night in Ansty it all started to go wrong. This meant I could not enjoy the well-reviewed breakfast at the hotel, though since my husband was fine, he went and he said it was great.
I gave the hotel 4 stars. The last star was lost on the chilly receptionist, and the fact we had to walk by ourselves in the rain with all bar one of our bags, trying to find a door to a building we did not know. The room was great and I would have liked to enjoy the luxury for longer and waited for the rain to stop.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Ansty Hall is a grade II listed Georgian mansion dating back to 1678 and set in 8 acres of grounds in the rolling Warwickshire countryside. 62 bedrooms, restaurant, meetings and conferences for up to 140 delegates, corporate activities, weddings, family events, banquets, festive events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Ansty Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Ansty Hall Coventry
- Macdonald Ansty Hall Hotel Coventry