“Ansty was great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sunny UK
“Ansty was great”
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We stayed at the Ansty Hall as a relaxing birthday surprise for my boyfriend. When we arrived I was amased at how easy it was to find and how beautiful teh property looked as we drove up teh sweeping drive.

The check-in on Friday was very quick and simple. We were located in the new part of the building. The only downside being that there is no connecting building between the old manor house and the new part so we got very wet when it was raining. That said the room was wonderful. Large room with lovely bathroom. Everything was very clean and the bed was very comfy.

On Saturday we drove to Warwick Castle (about 25 minutes away) and had a great day. We vacated the Castle grounds to get some lunch in the town centre. We found a lovely bar called The Keep - just across the road from the Castle. The service was great and the food was amasing. We will definatley visit here again probably to try the evening menu.

We dined at the Ansty Hall on Satrurday night and I can't speak highly enough of the experince. The staff were very attentive and the dining room was lovely. The food was very good indeed. We were treated to home baked bread and enjoyed a lovely starter and main course (the lamb was cooked to perfection). The food was quite reasonable at £25 for two courses or £30 for three courses. There was an excellent wine selection to suit every budget. The only disappointment was being charged £4.75 for a bottle of Highland Spring (which I priced at the local supermarket the next day for 58p) - I felt ripped off.

All in all I would definately recommend this as a place to stay and will stay here again in the future if we are visiting this part of the County again.

• Liked — The large room and the great food.
  • Disliked — Price of the water
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Matt's-Buddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Here on a business trip for a 4 night stay. This is a really nice hotel in a rural area, set in large gardens and not too far from the centre of Coventry with easy access to the motorways.

The hotel has the old building and a new complex built to the side, most of us were in the new buildings and they were all very clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable.

Just a short walk from the hotel we found a fantastic pub (not sure of the name but it was on the road towards coventry) which had the biggest food menu I have ever seen - at the end of the menu it said to ask if there was something you wanted that was not on the menu and they would get it for you! We ate in this pub every night as the food was great. Because of this we only had breakfast at the hotel which was very good.

Really enjoyed my stay here and would not hesitate to return to this hotel for a weekend break.

Staff were all great and could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Chem73
yorkshire
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Ansty Hall is a first class hotel in a quiet location but very convenient for the motorway network to the East Midlands.

We had an excellent room in the large annex and it did not matter that the lift was not working.

Our dinner was excellent. First class food cooked to perfection and served quietly but professionally.

The breakfast buffet was also very, very good with an extremely wide range of items.

If Macdonalds can reach this standard in all their hotels they will soon be the top hotel group in the UK.

Sidnycat

• Liked — Large quiet room with all necessary amenaties
  • Disliked — The lift was not working and there is no covered way between the main hotel building and the annex.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed July 20, 2007

I returned to Ansty Hall last week and was pleasantly suprised.

The only thing that let the hotel down previously was the overstretched staff. This has now been rectified and the staff are far more composed and there for your every need.

When I commented on the improvement, I was informed that there had been a change in management earlier in the year.

It's amazing what a difference a few key people can have - previously one person covered front of house, the bar and any other requirements. There are now dedicated staff for each area and they are all very attentive, friendly and welcoming.

Well done MacDonald Hotels!

• Liked — Large well appointed rooms, grea restaurant.
  • Disliked — No pool, but you can't have everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Essex
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend at this excellent hotel. There were four of us and we could not have asked for more comfortable rooms and excellent cuisine. The Chef is to be commended as are all the staff who were exceptionally helpful and friendly with a special mention to Receptionist Maria who made us feel very welcome and Charlotte whose delightful telephone manner won me over when I was deciding which hotel to go for. The service was first class and every whim catered for. The afternoon tea is to die for and if you do partake you had better make it a late dinner!! The restaurant was very inviting and relaxing and the food superb and again the staff were exceptional in their service and manner in fact we found it very hard to leave. Both my husband and I had dietary requirements and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was part buffet with everything you could ask for i.e. a good choice of fruit juices, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, croissants, pastries, lovely little mini doughnuts, etc, etc, and a good choice of full english breakfast being cooked fresh to order and served piping hot. I would say this is one of the friendliest and most helpful hotels we have stayed in. It is a beautiful building set in lovely well tended gardens. Like most hotels it has a few little well worn spots but overall it was very cosy, comfortable and very clean. Well worth a trip and we shall be returning.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret55
England
Reviewed February 14, 2007

Got a great deal on laterooms, £99 for DBB. Had a lovely room and the dinner was great. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would stay again, very relaxed stay.

• Liked — Quaint
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CharbelIreland
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Whilst browsing on the internet I came across a dine and stay offer on the macdonald hotels web. The offer stated that if you dined in the Shilton restaurant on the set menu at £26.95 per person and had a bottle of house wine you could stay in an executive room for free. When I phoned the hotel I was told the offer was not available friday nights, so I pointed out that on the internet it states the offer is availble both fridays and sundays. The girl took my number so she could check, within 15 mins she had called and said that she had been thinking of another offer and yes I could stay on a friday night. When the girl was running through all the conditions of the offer it appeared that not only did you have to have dinner and wine but breakfast as well. I did mention that this was not actually stated on the web site - but was happy to take breakfast as even with wine it was going to be £100 cheaper than any other DBB rate I could find for the hotel.
When we checked into the hotel the reception staff seemed pleasant enough, they were efficient with regards to checking us in and we received our key quickly. My husband and myself both found it a little strange that we were not given any information regarding restaurant opening times or locations especially as we were on the dine and stay offer. I was actually expecting to be asked if we wished to book a table in the restaurant as they knew we were going to eat in there. In the room there was an information book but under food and drink it told us how to book a conference or banquet, no information on the restaurants and opening times.
Our room in the Stopford Wing was pleasant enough a typical Travel Lodge style and of a similar size, slightly better decorated, although the bathroom was of a higher standard, with a large separate shower cubical.
The bar area was very busy as there was a wedding party in the hotel, but we didn't have any problems getting served and they were very efficient at collecting all the empty glasses, emptying ash trays e.t.c.
On our way to the bar we tried to book a table in the restaurant for 8.00 and were told that a big Christmas party was book for 8.00 so we might have to wait for our food, we booked for 7.30. The food in the restaurant was very nice, service was OK but then again there were only three tables served that night, the Christmas party at 8.00 never appeared. The only thing I could pick up on was when serving the wine the waitress poured out half a glass for tasting, then proceeded to fill my husbands glass before mine - OK so now I'm being picky.
Right breakfast - this unfortunately is where the hotel went down in my estimations and quite rapidly, even my husband was getting irritated. We went into the restaurant about 9.40 we were asked to sit at a shared table set up for 10 people. Fine if I was with a group of friends at the wedding or in a youth hostel, but not what I was expecting. So I asked if we could sit at a table for two as the were four empty but still with dirty crockery from previous guests, the waitress actually cleaned it straight up and re-set it for us without a grumble. The selection of food on offer was good there was a wide variety of cold continental and the hot menu looked good. We got hot drinks virtually straight away but then it took 20 mins before we actually managed to get someones attention to take our order for hot food. About 10 mins later we were asked if we would like toast, this never appeared. In the mean time people left right and center were complaining that they had ordered X,Y,Z and they were still waiting, food was being served but people had got fed up of waiting and left. Eventually the waitress appeared to inform us that our breakfast would be about two more minutes, but they were busy. Our food arrived, my husbands fry up was perfect no tomatoes as ordered, my haddock was fine hot and tasty, but the eggs were hard poached and stone cold, I put the plate on the side of the table, it was whisked away without so much as asking if it was OK. It was apparent that although there were three waiting staff they could not cope, there appeared to be a manager running round giving orders to clear tables e.t.c why didn't he get on and get his hands dirty!
I really don't think the hotel staff had been informed about the offer that we were staying on as when I checked out the amount I was expecting to pay was the price that we were being charged for the room rate plus our dinner, wine and breakfast on top. The bill was sorted out quickly.
I am so glad I was not paying the internet DBB rate of £220 or BB rate of £170 I would have been highly disappointed. I would say if you can get a room with £100 knock off these rates that would be a fair price.

• Disliked — the entire breakfast experience
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank delacourt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry

Been to Macdonald Ansty Hall? Share your experiences!