“Great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chace Hotel Coventry

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Chace Hotel Coventry
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at The Chace for one night - the staff were very helpful and efficient. Our room was large and very comfortable although being at the back there was a bit of noise from an extractor fan but that didn't bother us much. The breakfast was very good and served quickly. Would stay again if in that area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue S
chacehotel123, Front Office Manager at The Chace Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Sue S,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, which I have shared with our team. We are thrilled to have made your stay a success, and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reception Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Chace for a family wedding and after reading some of the reviews I was quite worried and after our stay my worries were unfounded. The grounds and the main building are gorgeous and the lounge area is large and welcoming. Our check in was easy considering how many of us checked in at the same time. We stayed in the main building, room was clean, bed was comfy and the room was not too hot either. The only downside was the water pressure is not great but we still managed to wash. The staff were all extremely helpful and breakfast on both mornings was fantastic, cooked lovely and for the staff nothing was too much trouble. The food during the wedding was amazing and surprisingly it was consistently hot when it came to the table. I have to say I would stay again if we ever needed a hotel in the area as it feels like a country house hotel but 2 minutes from a major supermarket.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
chacehotel123, Front Office Manager at The Chace Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Chelle6944,
Thank you very much for you feedback. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Chace Hotel and have spoken with our Maintenance team about the water pressure. The staff always value positive feedback as it shows that the hard work we do is appreciated and I hope we can welcome you back to the Chace Hotel soon.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Firstly I have to say that, had I never stayed at the Chace before, I would have been more than happy with the room we were allocated. However we spent our wedding night in the bridal suite 14 years ago and, unrealistically I suppose, expected the same or similar room for this stay.

When we stayed at the Chace in 1999 the bridal suite was in a room with a name, something like Warwick Suite, so alarm bells rang when we were given the keys to room 2. It turns out our old room is now simply room 5 and all the named suites are now meeting rooms.

Harping back to 14 years ago, we had a canopy bed that was most in keeping with the Tudor style of the building, there were heavy brocade drapes above and around the bed and the en-suite had a jacuzzi bath big enough for two!

The room now classed as the bridal suite is much larger but does not have that romantic air to it. The bed is a four poster but of modern design and made of MDF with not a drape in sight, I also think it must have seen a lot of action as the sprung base had been replaced with chipboard floorboards making the bed very hard and uncomfortable. I had a very sleepless night and not for the right reasons!

The bedroom, strangely for a bridal suite, also had a large sofa bed - handy if you fall our with your other half I suppose! The wardrobe was very small and the hem of my knee-length dress pooled on the floor so definitely not suitable for handing a wedding dress in.

The room was strangely decorated with a bright green tartan carpet ans clashing curtains and bedding. While I did not expect a building of this age to have air con the addition of a fan would have helped. It was after all the hottest weekend of the year and the room was stifling.

The bathroom was also disappointing. We were expecting a room designed for two but found a plain white bathroom that looked like it belonged in a Premier Inn and not at all romantic.

The reception staff were not in the least helpful on our arrival. We had to wait a considerable time whilst the staff continued with their conversation in a back office and there was no bell to ring for attention. When we did manage to get someone's attention there was no friendliness in their attitude - in fact it seemed we were an inconvenience. There was also no offer of help with our bags or showing us to our room. Having specifically asked for the 'Bridal Suite' it was obvious we were celebrating but were made to feel as if we were intruding.

We did express our disappointment to the young lady on reception but she just shrugged. We were offered the keys to room 5 to see if we would prefer it but one look and I burst into to tears. The room was changed beyond all recognition and looked like it belonged in a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn.

The lounge areas downstairs are very comfortable and decorated in keeping with the style of the building. The drinks from the bar were of a reasonable price.

The saving grace of our weekend was London's restaurant. The waiter was most attentive and the meal superb. Likewise at breakfast, when the dining room was much busier, the waitress was equally attentive, the service was excellent and the food again superb,

Whilst I would definitely use the restaurant again and even just go for drinks in the lounge, I think it is unlikely that I would chose the Chace for a romantic getaway. I think the style of the hotel is now much better suited for business travelers.

Room Tip: Room 2 was large and airy but the bed was most uncomfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ChaceHotel, General Manager at The Chace Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, November 2, 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Chace Hotel, I'm very glad to hear that you were well looked after and I hope that you will choose to stay at the Chace Hotel when you are next in the area,
Since my appointment in mid-October I have been reviewing previous guest feedback in order to better understand our customers wants and needs
I have passed your kind comments to our team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chace Hotel in the near future

Paul Grantley
Hotel manager
Gateshead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

What a find this hotel was. We booked the hotel on price, review and location. The hotel stay was for a family trip to the Cotswolds area. Only 20 minutes from Warwick on the south side of Coventry. There was plenty of parking, lovely outside seating area looking onto the gardens. The entrance, bar and reception area were welcoming with a traditional feel to it. There appeared to be a few returning guests who commented on what a good hotel this was. The staff were great, attentive, professional and very polite. I wish I had taken note of the receptionist and the bartender as they were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble - you just had to ask. Our room was a family room for 3 adults and it was more than fine, actually it looked like it had just had a make over (new carpet and redecoration) and was a good size. It was kept clean and tidy and overlooked the main entrance. It gave us a good base to travel to and around Stratford and the beautiful villages of the Cotswold. I have every intention of returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: There was no air con but we took an electric fan as a previous review had mentioned it. Glad we did...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear geordiemonkeyhanger,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

This place looks super from the outset, the main part of the house is beautiful...the hotel part is much different! Our room was small, outdated, very basic, very very hot, with only one safety window, no fans available. The toilet didn't flush, and wasn't fixed. The bed had springs sticking out, very uncomfy night! Just to top our stay off, we waited 50 minutes for a cooked breakfast! Other people had already walked out after their long waits! We had prepaid for breakfast, to buy on the day was £10 each, drinks are are quite pricey. (Might just be me, but their sat-nav post code took us to a different place?)

1 Thank Sair34
chacehotel123, Manager at The Chace Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Sair34,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regardng your stay here at The Chace Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel impressive, as it was built in the Victorian times we try and keep as many of the key features as possible. However this unfortunately means we are unable to provide air conditioning for our guests, and for this I can only apologise.

I apologise about your uncompfy night, however all of our bedrooms received a complete refurbishment last year and have recently all been fitted with new pillows and quilts throughout all of the bedrooms.

I can only apologise about the service you received during breakfast. As much as our team pulls together during busy periods, unfortunaltey on some occasions this can not be avoided.

Again thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor.

Kind regards,

Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Always worrying when your reviews are terrible! Hotel very old, hot no air con or fans especially hot in bedroom. Bedroom phone. Didn't work, radiator banged all night, I wanted to call reception for wifi code and details of checkout, had to ring off my mobile to reception as phone didn't work in room... Very basic for 60 pounds. Breakfast in morning we had to wait over an hour after ordering. The couple next to us left after waiting for an hour and twenty mins. Really annoying. Everyone in breakfast room unhappy with wait. Very dated and overpriced. We had one pillow in room which was like a postage stamp. Uncomfy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Burgess667,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review reagrding your stay here at The Chace Hotel.

My sincerest apologies regarding the issue's you encountered during your stay with us, I can ensure you that this is not to our normal standard and all issue's have been raised with the appropriate department.

As our building is Victorian, we try and keep as many key features of the hotel as possible and unfortunately this means we are unable to have air conditioning. However we ensure there are fans available at reception for any guests that wish to have one.

Thank you for bringing the problem you occured with your bedroom phone and your pillow to my attention. Further to this all phones throughout the hotel have been checked by the team and new phones have been replaced with immediate effect. We have also ordered new pillows and duvets for every bedroom throughout the hotel.

I apologise again for the experience you had during breakfast, and as much as our team try and pull together at the busier times when we have a large group of people come down at the same time this issue unfortunately cannot be avoided.

Again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Kind Regards,

Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel based on the pictures presented on booking.com. it really is a misrepresentation or old pictures or clever photography. We stayed in the annexe. Very dated, very 60s. It was very clean tho. They were very busy with a wedding. There's no info in the rooms and reception can't give/loan you their menu, so we ate out. Staff seemed really stretched. The food at breakfast did redeem things a little, but again staff seemed really pushed. One of the cleaners was working b/fast service. I've spent 20yrs in the hotel trade and being understaffed is a major faux par. It makes those that are there too busy to be efficient an causes errors, such as our table for 3 only receiving 2 breakfasts untill pointed out by myself. Nobody explained anything, such as where the cereals were or anything, but this I feel was due to being so rushed. I felt customer service was being compromised for a profit, a short-sighted attitude. Would not stay again.

Dear Sylvia M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw regarding your stay here at The Chace Hotel.

I can only apologise if you feel we were misrepresenting our hotel, however the photographs on the website were of our bedrooms in the main building. We have now amended this on booking.com by updating photograpghs of bedrooms in the extension and our main building.

I am sorry there was no information for you at the time you stayed availble in your bedroom. However I have now discussed this with the team and are in the process of providing our guests with an information folder regarding history of the building in the all of our bedrooms.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your breakfast, and as you are aware working in the hotel industry yourself, during busy periods we all have to work together as a team.

Kind Regards,