“Worst place I have used in the UK”

The Chace Hotel Coventry
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
East Yorkshire UK
“Worst place I have used in the UK”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Approached from the overflow car park, rang bell 3 times with a long wait in between before being allowed in. Helpful man behind the desk, but specifically asked Sunday breakfast times before paying the extra £9 per person Breakfast. Wrong times given, so was not able to have breakfast on the Sunday morning, requests for refund totally ignored so far. The breakfast I had on the Monday was OK, but despite several requests, never got orange juice that had run out before I arrived, I have had better breakfasts for less than the £9 charged.

Room was unbearably hot, but as the smoking area was outside the window, unable to open it.
As there was no function on the Monday night, I assumed ( wrongly ) that opening the window would make a difference, it didn't. It was still unreasonably hot, talking to other people in other rooms, it was the same for them. I have been in better, much less expensive and cooler accommodation in the sahara in summer.

Had a bath, when the water level touched the overflow plug, I was met with a cloud of mould and muck that filled the bath, had a poor shower instead. The toilet roll holder fell off, anyone who thinks a piece of silicone the size of a 5p is enough to hold a toilet roll holder on the wall, needs help.

The room reminded me of a TV programme from the 70s called Rising damp, just had that feel about it, half expected Rigsby to burst through the door at any time.

Moved out on Monday, found another hotel not far away, similar price, but far better

Room Tip: Based on my experience, and those I spoke to at breakfast, I have no idea how you would find a good...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DaveinEastYorkshire
ChaceHotel, General Manager at The Chace Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, November 2, 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Chace hotel.
Since my appointment in mid-October I have been reviewing previous guest feedback in order to better understand our customers wants and needs.
After reading your review, I was disappointed to read that your stay was not an enjoyable one, so please accept my sincere apologies.
I would like to thank you again for your feedback because this helps me to look where I can improve the hotel.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lancs
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed on a living social voucher, our room was very basic but after popping down to Reception we were given another room which was lovely, comfy bed and spacious the only fault would be that the shower was poor and we didn't,t seem to have much hot water.
Breakfast was one of the best we have had in a Hotel with plenty of choice and lovely Bacon.
We ate Breakfast in the smaller room on the first morning, as the main Restaurant was set up for a Wedding but this was not a problem at all as they are both nice rooms.
We found the Staff friendly and Helpful.
A visit to the Thai Dusit Restaurant a couple of miles down the road is worth a visit, lovely food.

Room Tip: If not happy with room ask for a swap!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Chace Hotel, I'm very glad to hear that you were well looked after and I hope that you will choose to stay at the Chace Hotel when you are next in the area,
I have passed your kind comments to our team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chace Hotel in the near future

Hotel manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights on a living social deal, and having read the reviews we were looking forward to it. But we must have arrived on a bad day (or three). It seems bizarre when you get a poor review like this amongst what seem very positive reviews, but we can only tell it how we found it. On arrival, we stood waiting at reception while the staff chatted away. The room was in the "prefab" annex and in 1970 would have looked impressive, unfortunately the rooms appear to have been kept in the time warp.
The rooms were clean, but very basic. A bowl of fresh fruit in the room was a nice touch. The beds were comfortable, but as some one else on here has commented at night the room is stifling, and then you find that the 1970's metal framed windows have been deliberately "modified" so that there is a gap, but cannot be opened or closed further.
The walls must be thin because as well as hearing next door (both sides) open and close drawers, you could also hear their phone vibrate on the bedside cabinet. Hearing slamming doors all night long soon becomes the norm.
The bar area and front look nice and if you stayed in that area you could almost enjoy the experience. We didnt get to see the proper restaurant because on both nights we stayed there were weddings on; and this is where you realise that you will be treated as a second class citizen. The weddings must have been booked at least a few weeks in advance, but the staff failed to metion that until you had checked in and given over your card details (convenient!), and booked a table for our evening meal at the hotels restaurant; it was then we were told that dinner would be served in a side room instead because they were preparing for a wedding party in the main restaurant - why didnt they mention that whilst we were deliberating over eating in or out?
No problem we thought, its only a different room to eat in, and the reviews on the food were good. Again we were disappointed, the food was well presented, but nothing special (maybe the first class chef was busy preparing for the wedding party!) The crab & prawn tian was tasteless but crunchy due to the bits of shell left in, blade of beef was like cardboard, and the salmon was very bland with no flavour/taste.
A positive - The house rose wine was very nice.
Breakfast the next morning was okay, with a good selection including vegetarian sausages and the usual selection of cereals, jams etc. The coffee served by the pleasant and smiling waitress was cold, but the orange, apple and cranberry juice made up for it.
Due to our poor experience we dined out the next evening, and found some lovely restaurants in nearby Warwick.
Late on the second night a letter pushed under our door informed us to take breakfast early because the wedding guests would dominate from 9am. The letter did not mention that the previous good selection of breakfast choice would be replaced by a help-yourself warm buffet with much less selection.
At breakfast it was very clear that the hotel could not handle the wedding and the hotel guests, and we, like several others had to sit at temporary tables in the foyer, shared with a very pungent smell that put us off eating and we felt uncomfortable, almost intruders in the 1st and 2nd wedding parties; again treated as second class citizens as we were barely attended to whilst the staff scuttled round looking after the weddding party requests.
Dont get me wrong, the weddings obviously pay a lot of money and the hotel rightly attends to them first, as that is where the profit is; and to be fair the wedding parties were well behaved. But come on Chace, you do not have the capacity to cater for both wedding parties and attend to your guests, so be honest and notify people at the first opportunity that there is a wedding party that day/evening/weekend and give us the chance to either book an alternative date or consider a discount for the inconvenience.
Would we stay here again - definatley not.
Would we recommend it to friends - yes - to stay well clear of !
Sorry if our review does not match with what you found when you stayed, but we are just giving our honest opinion, and we have plenty to compare to as we frequently have long stays in other hotels as you can see from our other reviews.

Room Tip: Avoid the prefab rooms in the pale green annex
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

York
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked 2 nights through Living Social and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it. Every memberof staff, without exception, we're so friendly they couldn't do enough for us. Craig on reception helped us plan our day out in Stratford upon Avon and printed all the timetables out for us. We happened to mention to a female member of staff (must apologise for not getting her name) that our first night had been very hot and stuffy despite having the window open and she got us a fan for the room which was great. We ate in the restaurant on our first night and again the young waiter (who was there at breakfast) was so friendly and efficient. I have to say to the management that each and every member of staff at the Chase are a credit to them! Many thanks to all of them we had a great stay. Outside the hotel is a bus stop which has regular buses into Coventry. We parked the car on arrival and didn't use it again until our departure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently stayed at this establishment under the living social offer. From beginning to end my experience was a marvellous one. I firstly enquired and made my booking over the phone with a lovely gentleman whom i think was called Craig...he was polite, attentive & proffessional. He also informed me of all aspects of the deal and was a joy to speak to.. Upon Check in we again experiences the same service by. a young girl named Sammie. she was also attentive, proffesional, friendly & helped us numerous times during our stay. The room was clean & the housekeeping staff were polite. We dined in the restaurant both nights and endeavoured some excellent cuisine. Our finest complements to the chef!! the waiting staff were well presented and attentive & tended our every need one individual stuck our to us she had dark skin & dark hair.We unfortunatley did not ask her name. Our stay was fantastic & we have had no issues with our stay. What a marvelous team of staff & a beautiful hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank maggiemoo45

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

With a discounted deal this hotel was good value, yet we feel the normal prices would be rather high. Having read reviews, I requested a room in the main hotel, but on arrival this was not possible as the hotel was very busy. And reviews about the annexe rooms were correct, it was uncomfortably hot. The very pleasant young lady on reception said that all the fans were given out already, and even with the windows open as far as they would go we had two fitful nights' sleep, though the outside temperature was not high. This is something that really needs to be addressed, as comments about this on Tripadvisor date back a long time, and we were not the only guests affected on this visit.
Otherwise, the room was of a good size, in good decorative order, and the staff quickly brought the extra pillow I asked for. We were not bothered by any noise, despite there being a wedding party on one night.The downstairs area is impressive, the grounds well maintained, and all the staff pleasant, courteous and helpful. We ate one dinner in the restaurant, which was of average quality but not overly expensive. The menu remains the same from day to day, it seems. Breakfasts were good and plentiful, with a small range of little pastries, tinned fruit etc if you didn't want cooked food. We were offered extra toast, which is unusual. Checkout was at noon, very civilised!
Tip : We left the car and took the 21 bus into Coventry centre from right outside the hotel. Every 10 minutes during the day and 20 minutes in the evening, about 25 minutes journey and saved trying to find parking in the city.
We would use the hotel again if it were in winter, or if we were guaranteed something had been done about the airconditioning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I recently spent 4 nights here whilst closing a business deal In the area, I have to say a lot different from the last stay I had here, I will definitely be using them again. The only quams I could have being the heat in the rooms, perhaps ventilating them before guests arrive during this heat would be an idea as the rooms do get very hot, although I cannot really complain too much as the rest of my stay made up for that. From the moment I checked in, the young lady on reception was very nice and welcoming with a sense of humour which is good to see, I forget her name but quite small with dark hair. I stayed in the hotel one of the days for a meeting with a colleague and had a good lunch served by a young gentleman with glasses, very polite and helpful again. There are options to go out and about in Coventry to other places to eat and meet with colleagues and the girl on reception again more than helpful with suggestions and directions. When eating/drinking in though the girls in the restaurant and bar area are lovely, I think one of the girls was the duty manager and I was servered by her on a breakfast and twice on an evening occasion, again useless with names but she was quite tall, curly blonde hair, both times she was so helpful and relaxed nothing I asked was too much and had the time to chat with me. The young lady on the bar I remember her name was Leony as she was there every night and remembered me and each day asked me how my stay was and how I was enjoining it, her general persona with every customer was very nice to see, some hotels i have stayed in the staff can't be seen to be botered or happy to be there so these staff are a credit to you, brilliant service and nice to feel welcome away from home on my own. Thank you and I will be staying with you again.

• Stayed July 2012