“A fabulous romantic break.”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Redditch, United Kingdom
“A fabulous romantic break.”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the whole atmosphere of the hotel had us enchanted. The history in the house and gardens has to be experienced to be fully apreciated.
We were only there for one night but got a great taste of what the hotel has to offer.
The approach to the hotel in down a long drive surronded by an avenue of trees, with the hotel looking magnificent at the end of it. Surrounded by a moat crossing the bridge to enter the courtyard you immedietly feel as though you have gone back severel hundred years in time.
As others have said the hotel is very dark, but it's something you expect as the history and mood of the hotel would be spoilt with modern bright lighting.
The staff upoon our arrival couldn't be any more helpful and we were checked in within a few minutes. The large staircase leading up to the top floor where we were staying gave the feeling of something very special, seeing many of the historical items decorating the hotel.

The room we had booked was a feature room, and did not dissapoint, with a large feature bed & cast iron bath we couldn't ask for a more quirky and romantic room.
The decor was just as one would expect, and the original features were in abundence something we couldn't help pointing out to each other all the time.

The restarant was first class, prices are what you would expect from this sort of hotel and also boasts an excellent wine list, dinner for two and a bottle of wine came to £90 which given the level of service & for a special occasion is quite reasonable.

The grounds which surround the hotel are quite fabulous, we enjoyed several walks around the gardens & the park which also boasts a nature reserve where you can see many birds and animals.

I would recomend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic break away, and please ignore the people slating how dark the hotel is, it's supposed to be like that & just adds to the atmosphere of the place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robzere31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
East Anglia
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This hotel is a superb old building in excellent grounds. The rooms were clean, well appointed and had great character .The staff were good and tried really hard. Why did I not enjoy my stay more ?
Well the first room I was shown into, No 7, was small, unusual and quite pleasant except that after I had put on all the lights there was still not enough illumination in which to read.
I asked to be moved and was put into 163 in a modern block on the other side. Again it was superficially excellent except that the hot air heating was so loud all night that I slept very little.
I did not eat there that evening, I thought it a bit pricy, however I did have a drink afterwards in the bar. There was no real ale just lagers and the like at £3+ a pint.
The breakfast was of good quality if a bit pricy @ £14.50. I have had better meals at greasy spoons for a quarter of that price.
I tried to use my laptop but it was useless reception for their WiFi in my room, It kept losing connection. I did eventually find somewhere near the main reception area to settle down and pick up a very weak signal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MooseEastAnglia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Chosen from tripadvisor. Chose the romance package with upgrade to feature bedroom. Was more like a suite and so quiet. The hotel had 2 weddings and the restaurant was busy but food and service were first class. Champagne was chilled and waiting on arrival. Not a single fault.

• Stayed October 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I attended a business conference at the Coombe Abbey Hotel several years ago and it has been on the list for a short break with partner since. A simply beautiful place that is so out of the ordinary - unless you're a blue blood!
Approach up a half mile drive through parkland, cross the bridge over the moat and enter the main hall which is really dark whatever the time of year. It really feels like you have stepped back a couple of centuries. Rooms are not five star hotel standard - a little knocked about in places, but overall quite acceptable. Our standard double featured a corner bath in the room - a nice romantic touch.
This place is about atmosphere and it has it by the bucketload. The staff for the most part hit just the right note between quality service and friendly conversation. The food in the restaurant is very good, although perhaps the management should consider changing the inclusive menu on a daily basis for the benefit of those staying more than one night.
We stayed mid-week at short notice and was able to book half board at the B&B rate, paying around £125 per night, which was a very good deal.
Aside from the atmosphere, the hotel is set in a huge park so you can spend ages walking around the grounds. And during our stay, guests also had free access to a nearby spa pool and fitness centre.
Maybe one tip - this hotel relies on weddings and events so, depending on your luck, it could potentially be a little noisy in the evening. Certainly wasn't during my stay, though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Myself and my partner stayed at Coombe Abbey for my birthday last month. It was very last minute, booked it an hour before we left so we were worried because we didint have time to check Trip Advisor beforehand. However, there was no need to worry, it was stunning. We had a basic room which was beautiful, although not in the main building, it really didnt matter.

There was not much to do around the hotel so only go if you want a quiet relaxing break.

The hotel itself was very impressive, a very medieval feel and possibly a little spooky! which is no surprise as it is a 12th century monastery!

The evening meal was utterly superb and the drinks a very reasonable price. The breakfast was nice but a bit ordinary.

Due to the spooky feel, i did some research on the internet when i got home....im just glad i didnt do that before we went as there are some interesting stories and pictures of the ghosts that reside there! Oh well, the murdered monk that drifts across the cobbled stones just outside oiur room has been there a lot longer than we have!!!!

What a wonderful place, we loved it and will definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night. There were 10 in our group celebrating Grandmas birthday. The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful with amazing grounds. The food in the restuarant was second to none and the service couldn't have been better, even the children were looked after and made to feel comfortable. The rooms were impressively lavish but sadly the lighting was very poor and there were dark areas in corridors and rooms. If they could just put a slightly higher wattage bulb in here and there this place would be perfect. I'd recommend it for a special ocassion any time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank alliejj
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I attended for a conference and will freely admit that I wasn't the person paying.
Generally the service I received was good, although I was disappointed at breakfast time to find a teacup with lipstick still on it. To be fair, as soon as the waitress saw me looking at it, she took it away, apologised and offered me a new one (but I wouldn't expect to see that at a B&B, let alone a 'high quality' hotel).
The room was in keeping with the rest of the hotel - it's meant to be period. However, to my taste everything was a bit too dark and dim. Certainly, the smaller conference rooms were extremely dark.
The location is beautiful - the hotel is set in fantastic grounds and looks stunning from the outside.
Would I recommend this place? Only if you like "Olde-English", period properties. But if you like that kind of thing, you'd love this place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#6 of 39 in Coventry
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!