3,714 results
All reviews medieval banquet afternoon tea four poster bed feature room garden restaurant grand feature lady craven murder mystery scones country park spiral staircase nooks and crannies garden room roll top bath steeped in history finger sandwiches beautiful hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went around Christmas time and it was amazing! It's such an old building and anyone who loves a bit of historic architecture will enjoy it here. They had decorated it beautifully for the festive season, it was gorgeous and very atmospheric. We ate 2 nights in a row at the restaurant which was also beautiful. The food and wine was great, although a little expensive, but for a treat it's worth it. The room was impressive with a 4 poster bed and a great view of the courtyard. I would definitely go back and highly recommend!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you taking the time to leave such a positive review following your visit here to Coombe Abbey in December. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

Afternoon tea is amazing. The staff can’t do enough to help and I’m bowled over by the standard offered.

The moat with the nesting swan is beautiful and the pianist plays and sings very well.

I’d recommend this hotel without hesitation. Quintessentially English with luxury touches that put it well and truly above the rest.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Regards

Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

We had some but a gift vouchers so exchanged them for a night here including a 3 course dinner and breakfast. Upon check in we handed in our 4 vouchers and were asked for a credit card I explained I had not brought a card but was happy to leave some cash the receptionist said no it’s fine don’t worry. The room was lovely an clean very spacious with everything we needed. We went down for our 3 course dinner which turned out to be two courses. There was a set menu of using a voucher or you could pay the additional extra if choosing from the main menu. I opted for the set menu my husband didn’t, the food was lovely and service fantastic. I was presented with a bill at the end of the meal for the full cost I explained we were on a voucher deal so I just needed the pay for the extras. The waitress said no just sign and pay when you check out and it will be deducted. On getting back to our room and getting ready for bed the room phone kept ringing and ringing and every time we answered there was no one there. Next thing a very angry man in a suit was at our door demanding we pay £19 for the extras immediately we explained what we had been informed and paid him. Breakfast the next morning was lovely with the same attention to detail however said man was also on duty again and I visually saw him look at us and pull a waitress to the side to whisper something in her ear I assume to tell her to be careful we had nothing extra without paying which made me feel very uncomfortable so I left the restaurant to pack up and come home. On checking out I was then asked to pay another £6 for drinks we had not had as we settled our bill with the angry man in a suit but to be honest by this point I wanted to get out of there. I was then asked how I was paying I informed them I gave the receptionist my voucher on arrival she found 1 voucher staples to the booking form but the others were missing. Luckily because we traded the vouchers in online to stay at Coombe Abbey I had the trades in code which paid for the whole night. This is a warning to anyone using an experience voucher here we went for this night with a view to book our vow renewal here but not a chance now. The rest of the staff here were fantastic except the angry man who thinks it’s fine to bang on people’s doors late at night for the sake of £19 it could have waited until check out .

1  Thank Scahmater

Good afternoon
Many thanks for taking the opportunity of leaving such a constructive review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
Please do accept my personal apologies for the communication issues that you unfortunately encountered. Absolutely no excuse can be made for this & I genuinely hope that this will not deter you from returning at some point in the future.
Should you wish to discuss this matter further please contact me directly here at the hotel on 02476 450 450 or via ron.terry@coombeabbey.com

Reviewed May 10, 2019

We were gifted an afternoon tea by a relative who did not realise the distance from our abode, so what to do? stay of course. I booked a night in a Luxury Double Room and called the hotel to see if they could beat the deal direct against the booking site, they couldn't which was a bit of a disappointment, compounded by the price going up on completion of the deal. Still a couple of phone calls fixed a price refund.
so, from the top, the car park barrier was up and the ticket machine broken but we found a space near the entrance, check-in was a pleasant experience and the receptionist gave us a friendly welcome.
Everywhere you go there seems to be a smiling member of the team to say hello and hold the door open which is nice.
The room was in an outside part away from the main part and as other correspondence have reported a bit tatty and very gloomy, the curtains were these faux tapestry affairs which didn't go down to the sill so foe privacy, I blocked the gap with a couple of the many scatter cushions an the windows looked over a path which was busy.
Small niggle, the bath-plug was not fitted and had to be put i, making it difficult to extract, and the shower screen was broken. Also the ceiling was mouldy.
The afternoon tea itself was really good, there was a nice selection of teas and coffee, and more sandwiches provided upon request. The pastries very good as were the scones.
Moving on, we were stuffed so we did not dine, but the food we did see looked well presented and plentiful, although a tad pricey, still we would eat in the future. We settled down in the bar with a bottle of wine, nibbles were provided which is nice and all in all it was pleasant.
Now, this is where the fun started, it wasn't a late night as we had had a full day having been to the Melton Mowbray cheese festival earlier in the day, so bath and bed, however at 02:00 doors started slamming. At first we thought it was from the large wedding party, but it happened intermittently for a couple of hours until gone 04:30. It is interesting as the doors were not the type to slam! I invite you dear reader to look this up! a bit of research revealed numerous ghostly reports of doors being slammed, allegedly by an Abbot with the hump about something - seriously - we experienced it!
After not very much sleep, another niggle, the pillows are really really flimsy, maybe hey are just worn out, you know, when you lie down, the spring up around your ears, so more emergency repairs with scatter cushions saving the day again.
Breakfast was very good indeed, a hot buffet replenished regularly and a cold selection which included FREE PROSECCO! yes folks, a chilled bottle of bubbly to make your own bucks-fizz (or not as is your want).
Check out equally as proficient, although my reports of the bathroom issues seemed to go un noted, so all in all very good and I think we will be back, with ear-plugs and fluffy pillows.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2019

Very many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
Whilst I was obviously pleased to hear that overall you appear to have had a pleasant stay, please do accept my personal apologies for the unacceptable issues that you unfortunately encountered.
I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2019

Whatever the occasion, Coombe abbey fits the bill. Meals are amazing, rooms vary from modern to interesting in their history. Service with a smile too. A varied choice of events to choose from in fabulous surroundings.

Date of stay: December 2018

Thank you for your kind words, greatly appreciated.

Regards