Coombe Abbey Hotel
$78
$60
$44
Hotels.com
The Jacobean Hotel(Coventry)(Great Value!)
$50
$68
PremierInn.com
$69
PremierInn.com
3,291 results
All reviewsmedieval banquetafternoon teafeature roomfour poster bedgarden restaurantgrand featurelady cravensconesmurder mysterycountry parkspiral staircasenooks and cranniesgarden roomroll top bathsteeped in historybeautiful hotelfinger sandwiches
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I took advantage of a Sunday night offer (£89 b&b) as a surprise treat for my girlfriend. After upgrading to a feature bedroom (a must), and the '2 dine for £50' offer in the restaurant, the total came to around £180...which is fantastic value for such a beautiful place. We stayed in room 5, which was in the abbey, had a 4 poster bed, a lovely sitting area, a huge Victorian bath, and a nice view over the moat. The place has so much character, and we really enjoyed walking around the grounds in the daytime. The evening meal was delicious, and the cooked breakfast the next day was one of the best I have ever eaten (and that's coming from a former chef working in similar hotels)! Will definitely be going back

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night, when we arrived the hotel was bustling with afternoon tea party's and other events. The lighting in the hotel is very subdued and creates an impressive atmosphere. Our room, also quite dark, was well equipped and decorated in a theme that matched the hotel.

We had dinner in the Garden room and was surprised how quiet it was, though this was due to other functions in various parts of the hotel, including a marquee that holds 300. The dinner menu was varied, and the service was excellent. The food was very well presented though portion sizes are not huge, but definitely more than adequate.

We had a drink in the bar, again service was great, the only negative is the high prices.

We had breakfast the following morning, which was buffet style, again a good variety on offer.

Overall a great stay in a fantastic building with lots of atmosphere and great service. Will be back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This may not be the cheapest place to stay, but it is certainly not your average hotel. We stayed overnight following a medieval banquet and had a great experience.
I don't want to repeat lots of what everyone else has already said, but we found the whole experience a positive one. We stayed in the original building overlooking the moat, and our room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom floor was cold and although they provide robes there are no slippers so you might like to bring a pair. I did find the room a little dark when trying to get ready, and finding somewhere to plug in my straighteners and reach a mirror and be able to see what I was doing was a challenge, but if you book an original room you expect these things. Being in the middle of a country park the room was very quiet and we had a great night's sleep.
Breakfast was excellent. I think a previous reviewer who was unhappy must have been somewhere else! There is a self service buffet with fresh and tinned fruits, yogurt, cereals, breads, cheeses, pastries etc, all of the usual items in abundance, even at the end of service. The hot food is cooked to order and of good quality.

The hotel is in a stunning setting and a walk around the country park a pleasant way to work off breakfast.

The hotel is exactly as shown on its website and well worth a visit.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was our first time at Coombe Abbey and we stayed in The Nesfield Suite. This was in the Park Priory building. The room was really nice, it had a fab upstairs bathroom, with a lovely slipper bath and a brilliant power shower. W.C & Sink were downstairs in the room, which was handy. My only complaint, was the mattress on the bed was lumpy and sagged in the middle, making for an uncomfortable nights sleep. It was nice & quiet however. The Abbey itself is very atmospheric, with lots of character and nooks & crannies.
Dinner was the biggest disappointment - service in the conservatory bar was non existent, despite having a reservation for 7pm, upon arrival, no one was booking you in, or indeed taking orders for a drink, there was no table service in the bar area, which is odd in a hotel. The Conservatory Restaurant looked really nice but food was just average. My Vegetable Broth to start was tasteless, The Beef was very nice, Dessert, was ok, they forgot my Ginger Chantilly, and it took quite some time to get someones attention to fetch this, even though it was meant to be part of the dessert. I feel they concentrate on Weddings & functions and food needs to be improved, it was just average. Staff were very pleasant though. Overall we had a nice stay. Breakfast was very busy, glad we arrived fairly early, as after 9am there were big queues to be seated. Breakfast was a buffet, nothing special. The usual choices.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had booked a top class room at Coombe Abbey Hotel as a treat in between business travels. I'm a big fan of my own bed and usually stay away out of necessity rather than volition, but on this occasion it made no sense to drive 200 miles home and then back after a day. It was the middle of summer, and I was looking forward to a little time wallowing in luxury. I’d spoken to some friends after booking, and they were in agreement that this was a good choice in the area.

The hotel is approached through a grand driveway through the country park, and there were plenty of spaces for vehicles, although there is a bit of a walk over cobbles to then get to the hotel itself. The hotel interior was very dark and gothic, it had a certain charm to it and I can see why it would be a popular party venue (I think a big fat Indian wedding was in progress when I got there).

I had a bit of a shock when I got to the room – it was dark and “Elizabethan” in style, clean and overlooking the manicured garden at the front of the hotel but was small, basic and had none of the mod cons I was expecting, crucially a mini-bar. This was not the room I had paid top whack for so and I had no plans to sleep in this depressing chamber, so I left my luggage in the room and went back to reception. There was an insistence that this was the correct room, so I sat in the park for a bit while the sun was still out, to decide what to do next. I spent a while Googling alternative accommodation close by. The choices available last minute made me realise that I would be better off going home so made my way back to reception with the intention of retrieving my luggage and handing the key back.

To my surprise the staff had decided to “upgrade” me to the room I had booked in the first place - no admission of a mistake, mind – this was a short walk to the annexe but the team was happy to help me with my luggage. Now this was definitely what I had booked! It was a huge first floor suite, with a massive four poster bed, luxury “antique” furnishings, lovely lounge area with a better en-suite, and best of all a spiral staircase leading to a freestanding bath with thick fluffy dressing gown, slipper and toiletries. Still no mini-bar (I don’t think any rooms had one) but there was a decanter of sherry, some sweets and a bowl of fruit, so I really couldn’t complain! It was one of those rooms you wouldn’t want to budge from, and so I didn’t until it was time to check out the next morning. The staff were really very polite and attentive on check-out, hence I left a lot happier than when I arrived: in the absence of the initial mix-up I would have rated it 5*. On that basis I wouldn’t return, if I’m ever in the area again I shall head straight for a grand pile in Warwickshire.

Room Tip: If you have booked in advance, bring the evidence of your room choice with you!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo