“Love this hotel but not so much this time”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I booked a room here back in January 2013 for this month. I especially wanted room 57 so booked early.
When I arrived this week for a 2 night stay I was given a different room, I was very cross as they had given my room away some months ago. I was shown a number of other rooms but none came to what I wanted & had booked.
They could change me for my last night but not 1st night and so I had to have another room.
I asked the duty managers twice for some compensation due to their mistake and was offered 25% discount on the 1st night. I was unhappy at this miserly offer as I thought that as this was clearly their mistake that I should not have been charged at all but finally agreed with 35%.
The rest of my stay was as good as normal this error just left a bad taste but won't stop me staying again.

1  Thank mcfcfanBournemouth
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Good afternoon and very many thanks for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoy staying here at the hotel and would like to take this opportunity, of conveying my personal apologies, for the confusion that resulted in you not being allocated your preferred bedroom, on the first night of your stay.
I was extremely pleased that the issue was resolved with our Duty Manager and very much look forward to having the pleasure, of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Kindest regards

Ron Terry
Coombe Abbey

Write a ReviewReviews (3,153)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited for afternoon tea following a recommendation from a friend. I was expecting something quite posh based on the pictures I'd seen online, and it was very posh - but more than that it was really magical.

Going through the massive doorway into the huge entrance hall there are coats or arms, posh carpets and lots of dark wood paneling everywhere. There were also trees covered in little twinkling fairy lights. Now I know this might sound tacky - but it absolutely wasn't. The whole place had a magical feel and atmosphere to it - it was like stepping into a Disney land fairy tale.

We were shown through the the large glass side room, where there were lots of people enjoying lovely dainty cakes and mini sandwiches. As there were 6 of us we were lucky enough to be given the secluded side room, which felt even more special.

The actual food was lovely, with a good choice and plenty to go around (well my Dad didn't complain about not enough food anyway!). The staff were also very attentive and pleasant. The overall cost wasn't too bad, and certainly less than other places I'd looked at. I had reserved a table, and I would recommend doing this as there was people going in and out all the time, and even though they can seat a lot of people, all of the tables were filled a couple of times over even in our short stay - though in case you think it, we never felt pressured to leave before we were done.

It was a real taste of luxury, and something a bit special. I would certainly go back and recommend this highly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank StraightOutOfKansas
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a unique hotel with splendid rooms and décor only to be let down by the quality of the food which was bordering on inedible.
It's worth visiting but eat elsewhere unless it's breakfast which was very good. The staff are great.

2  Thank rob2222187309
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Good morning and very many thanks for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and will of course pass your extremely kind comments, on to the team here at the hotel.
However, I was extremely disappointed to read your comments, about the quality of food here at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for this shortcoming and apparent drop in our usual high standards of cuisine.
I genuinely hope that this will not prevent you from returning to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Kindest regards

Ron Terry
Coombe Abbey

Reviewed November 19, 2013

On Sunday evening we celebrated my husband's 70th birthday in the Harrington room - a private dining room for just 16 family and friends the meal was superb it was not rushed and every little detail was taken care of. Right from our initial booking many weeks before we were treated with such care and thought by all the staff - for our family it was a evening that we will all remember for such ambience and quality of service.
On the outskirts of Coventry it is a jewel in our heritage.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was brought here for my 40th and stayed in the Nesfield Suite - words can not express how stunning a place this is!! The grounds, the staff, everything !!

The knowledge of the Porter (Craig) and passion he had about his place of work was just excellent. He knew so much about the history of the place and was more than happy showings us the grounds and some of the most luxurious rooms that Coombe Abbey had to offer

Just book up and stop waiting around!

Room Tip: The Nesfield Suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed with husband on a very busy wedding weekend 1 on Friday, 2 on Saturday & 1 on Sunday but this did not once detract from the excellent stay and it was lovely seeing so many lovely frocks and suits. Room lovely, sumptuous and comfy. Only minor thing would be the restaurant which whilst the food was lovely was overpriced compared to other places of possibly a slightly higher standard. Breakfast was a wee but of a let down with a limited pastries and bread selection, not quite a full range of hot selection such as no grilled tomatoes, no hash browns and only scrambled eggs - although I did ask for and got a fried egg this was not offered by waitress or a notice at the buffet. However this did not spoil my stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting Coombe Abbey Hotel this week for a business dinner. The surroundings, service, staff and food are all first class and you will not be disappointed if you eat out here....fantastic!

1  Thank seapirate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
#1 of 118 in Birmingham
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#9 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!