“Fascinating hotel - not perfect but a really unique choice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fascinating hotel - not perfect but a really unique choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

If like me you try to avoid bland, chain hotels and appreciate interesting and historic surroundings, you'll probably love this hotel. Public rooms and bedrooms reminded me of French chateaux, though there's a mix of styles and that won't be to everyone's taste. The bedrooms are among the most interesting anywhere - all different (unless you stay in the new annex, though these are still high quality). It's an historic abbey with a moat - so children will love it (suits of armour, etc.). On the downside, service in the restaurant and cramped bar is very pleasant but too slow. My monkfish for dinner was frozen and inedible (I would have expected an apology from the chef, but he was clearly hiding). Corporate types who crowded the bar during my visit were foul-mouthed, but that's not the fault of the hotel. But a really fascinating choice and worth considering for a special occasion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here with work for a meeting and medieval banquet. I was especially interested as my wedding is booked for the sister hotel, Lumley Castle, for next year.
The food provided for the buffet lunch was excellent,with a good range of hot and cold foods with it easy to make healthy choices.
The banquet in the evening was good, although lacking in veg!
The meeting rooms were a little cramped, and spaced very far apart, which made breakout groups in the afternoon a challenge, and with some groups starting late due to getting lost and not enough staff on hand to give directions. The temperature of the rooms varied from freezing to boiling making it not ideal for presenting, or being presented to.
My room for the evening was lovely, in a 2nd newer building, but decorated in theme with the rest of the hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower excellent!
The Abbey and it's grounds are stunning, and we'll worth a visit. Overall, I'd love to visit again with my partner, but did not find this a particularly great venue for large meetings.
Staff were helpful when you spoke to them, but it felt understaffed compared to the amount of people for our party, and another company also holding an event that day.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was an amazing birthday surprise for me from my wonderful daughter!
It was magic, the scones in particular were the best I've ever eaten..the staff were attentive, very friendly and helpful. We were given a refill of tea without having to ask, everything was just perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for one night in a Feature bedroom with a large bay window overlooking the moat. A lovely room with a well appointed bathroom. Other people have commented on the lighting. My wife described our bedroom as feeling like a cave, because it was so dark. There were spotlights above the bed, and this proved to be the only place where it was comfortable to read, once the sun went down. So, although it was a nice room, we didn't feel as if we would want to spend a lot of time in it.
I appreciate that the subdued lighting is all part of the medieval atmosphere of the hotel, which would be ruined by harsh lighting. Even so, I think the balance is not quite right, and better lighting in the bedrooms would be an improvement.
We had a very enjoyable meal in the restaurant, dining from the table d'hote menu. Service was friendly, and proceeded at a relaxed pace which was just right for us. On the other hand, we heard the people on the next table complain that service was a bit erratic, and it did seem as if their food arrived more slowly than ours. They had to ask twice for a jug of water. When it arrived, after he had poured them a glass each, the waiter had to be asked to leave the jug on the table, otherwise he would have taken it away. I am just making the point that two people dining in the same restaurant on the same night can have quite different experiences. As I say, we thought the food and service were first class.
Breakfast was also excellent. I think that you can always judge a cooked breakfast by the quality of the sausages. All I can say is.. very tasty!
We did not explore the grounds, as it was raining when we arrived, and raining when we left.
All in all, a very nice hotel. good for a romantic break. However, as we don't live locally, and are unlikely to want to stay over in Coventry in the future, it wasn't such a fantastic experience to bring us back another time

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if you want to soak up the medieval atmosphere.
1 Thank anm53
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had an amazing stay. The Abbey is stunning with beautiful grounds. The afternoon tea was very enjoyable and our room was great with a lovely view of the courtyard.

The best thing about the whole visit was the evening meal. I had the Venison to start, the Grouse main course and the Chocolate Sphere for desert and i can honestly say it was the best 3 course meal I have ever eaten. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and I must give special mention to Nick who was our waiter who gave great food advice and did a superb job generally.

We have already started planning our next visit!

Room Tip: The rooms in the separate building are a lot quieter, especially in the mornings.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We were there on business. When we first arrived the rooms we had asked for in advanced had not been allocated to us. They sorted it out promptly, however the reception staff pulled some lovely faces whilst doing so! However the rooms were lovely and clean. I had a problem with my shower and iaas promptly upgraded to a suite which was absolutely lovely. The at the bar was rather slow. With food taking around an hour, it was of a good standard though. We had a dinner there on one of the nights. The food and service was of a very good standard. However the RnB music which was being played was not really appropriate to the party I was with. All in all it ws a lovely place and I to return for pleasure rather than business.

• Stayed October 2013
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Other reviewers have described the hotel better than I can, A beautiful building surrounded by a moat and stunning grounds. The hotel is very very atmospheric - Gothic, candlelit, full of nooks and crannies and eccentric furnishings. It is like nowhere else I have ever stayed. We booked a romantic break which is not cheap at £249 for dinner, bed and breakfast, champagne and flowers.
On arrival we were upgraded to a grand feature room which was wonderful, thank you very much reception staff.
The room was in the new annexe which is very well designed and was exactly as it appears on the website - stunning with four poster bed, fresh fruit, sherry and a spiral staircase leading to the bathroom.
Our evening meal was excellent and all the staff we met were fantastic, especially the restaurant staff.
Now the niggles!
as you walk into the hotel across the bridge over the moat there is a large notice saying photography is forbidden. Why? what is the first thing you want to do when you stay in a wonderful, historic building?
The champagne, flowers and chocolates which were part of the romantic package were not in the room and it took a phone call before they were received. This rather spoilt the romance! the chocolates never did arrive and the champagne glasses were filthy, however the flowers were beautiful.
There are very few plugs in the room making it difficult to use the hairdryer. There is no mirror at all in the bathroom and no full length mirror anywhere in the room.
There was no hotel information in the room with restaurant opening times, Wifi info etc.
There were lots and lots of flies in the window which all flew out when the window was opened but where did they come from?
We asked for a Campari and soda at the bar before dinner but were told they had no Campari.
Coffee after our meal arrived without sugar and after asking for sugar we were given no spoon!
The approach to the ladies toilets is dirty and smells very strongly of boiled cabbage.
The niggles are quite small in themselves but add up.
I would stay at Coombe Abbey again as it certainly is a hotel like no other but I think they should take note of guest feed back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the priory Annex were lovely
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
New Hall Hotel & Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Premier Inn Coventry City Centre (Earlsdon Park) Hotel
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!