“Beautiful hotel, if you like Harry Potter you will love it!”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Derby, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, if you like Harry Potter you will love it!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Coombe Abbey is a very unusual hotel. I have never been in a hotel before where you are surrounded by the history of the original abbey.
It was dark in most areas and whilst this was strange to start with, you get used to it, it's the style.
It was a wonderful break from the daily work and we were able to escape completely.
It was expensive. We bought a discounted voucher from group on. With this we stayed two nights and had breakfast and evening meal both nights. We paid to upgrade to a feature room as we wanted a bigger room. Had a newspaper and the total,cost for the two days came to £430
Worth it I guess for a treat.
The standard room was fine if you aren't planning on spending time sitting around room reading, chilling etc. all the rooms were lovely, we looked at three.
Reception and restaurant staff friendly and helpful.
We missed afternoon tea by ten minutes but the lady said we could order tea and biscuits from the bar and they would bring it to the terrace ( we wanted to sit on the west wing overlooking the garden)
They brought us tea out and set up a parasol etc, very personal service.
I agree with a previous reviewer, there isn't a central place to sit after eating etc, however the attraction is going into the hotel and finding a nook somewhere to sit.i liked this.
The rooms could have been cleaner around the edges, particularly the bathrooms and I would prefer a duvet to a blanket. They weren't dirty just not 'polished' which is what you expect when paying the prices.
The grounds are absolutely beautiful.
Woods
Lake
Formal flower garden, ornamental trees, even some redwoods!
Patios
Meadows
You could walk for hours, it was absolutely beautiful.
Food was nice, expensive but worth not having to go out. We had the set menu which was £34 each. Wine prices were reasonable. The restaurant gets booked it by nn residents and they keep tables for residents. I was there when someone got turned away as they were full, and I was then able to book for the evening, so it's good they acknowledge residents first.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and thought it was beautiful. In fact I am going back for new year but hoping as its a event the quality won't be reduced because its mass catering or anything. We had no queues and I wouldn't expect any paying those prices.
I don't think it's a hotel for children.
Would love it to have a swimming pool on site.

Room Tip: Look at the website but check prices, very varied.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The initial view of this property as you enter the driveway is stunning and you won't be disappointed when you get inside. Keeping its character as an old country house/castle - including a moat - the property is beautiful. Staff are friendly, the room cleaning was done whilst I was at breakfast and didn't interfere with my time/schedule at all. Gardens are perfect for a late afternoon stroll before dinner and then a drink in the bar. My only complaint would be that the queen-sized bed was actually two single pushed together.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked this hotel for my husbands 30th - the hotel is very quirky in its decor and the building itself is stunning! We had three rooms booked - two standards and a feature room. Both room types were great, we booked one feature room because we have a baby and we were advised the standard rooms probably wouldn't be big enough for a cot - we were a little miffed to find that the standard rooms were bigger than our feature room! Also the standard rooms had air con where as our feature room didn't. I think the reason why we were advised to go for a feature room is that the standard rooms vary in size and maybe our other guests were just lucky to get very large standards? - Maybe because they were in the newish building separate to the main hall whereas we were in the main hall? The feature room was beautiful so we didnt really mind - with a huge four poster bed and a very nice bathroom. The hotel had left us a very nice bottle of wine as a present for celebrating my husbands birthday which was a great touch and much appreciated plus the welcome note hand delivered by a porter was a nice thought!

We dined at the restaurant which was very nice, five of us dined from the 3 course menu and we all loved what we received, one of us went ala carte because they wanted a good steak and although it was nice we were a little disappointed that it was a fairly thin steak and it was a little over cooked - so considering the alacarte is allot dearer our advice would be to stick to the set menu which was faultless.

The only real disappointment was that the hotel recommended babysitter dropped out at the last minute. This couldn't be helped as the babysitter had family commitments but I did feel that the front desk could maybe have helped a little more - they wanted to phone her and force her to come which we weren't comfortable with as her child was sick! We offered to take our child into the restaurant as long as we could get a quiet table with space for a buggy so he could sleep which they said was fine but there was no communication with the restaurant who weren't prepared - and we ended up with a table right in the middle of the restaurant - not a major deal but it could have been smoother so that we felt as comfortable as possible with the situation.

Breakfast in the morning was fabulous and we were given our own little room adjacent to the main restaurant which was great! The gardens are stunning for a walk in the morning too. There is access to a gym and pool although not on site.

Room Tip: If you want air con ask for the newer building, if you want the true character of the building ask f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Racheo35
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed for two nights in the Princess Suite . Sumptuous room steeped in history with all the modern touches . Interesting stairway to the bathroom with rolltop bath and shower ( there is no door incidentally ). Excellent views of the moat . Unfortunately the Wifi was poor in the room though ( almost non existent ) . I put it down to the 2 foot thick walls but nevertheless if it's advertised then you should be able to get it ( using my IPad ) .

The ambience of the whole place is tranquil if a little dark ( that justs adds to the atmosphere though) . The grounds are excellent and walking through them on a sunny evening is a must . Breakfast was excellent and the service attentive .

Travelled into Birmingham and followed advice of guy at reception . Great advice to drive into Coventry and take the train directly to New Street ( Bullring ) . Only cost £10 return for two on Monday 30th July . I was planning to drive but sought advice because of roadworks .

Room Tip: If you need Wifi don't stay in room 2 ( princess Suite )
Berkshire
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked in advance for a big birthday treat. I'm going to give an honest review of the hotel and room based on what I expected from reading reviews, viewing their website and the high expectations I had due to the cost of room per night (£395!) based on similarly priced hotels that I have stayed in.

First impressions, lovely main building with moat and lovely grounds adjaent to park - lots of wildlife - great for photos. However, very dark in the lobby areas once you enter the hotel (even during the day) - it was even dark in the entrance to our new block, so much so that my husband and i both tripped twice coming inside.

We stayed in the Nesfield Suite which although it's made to look old it is in a brand new block behind the main building and right opposite the wedding hall. It was a quirky room with slipper bath and wet room with combined sauna/steam room up some spiral stairs on a mezzanine. There was no full length mirror in room so you couldn't check out your outfit before going down to dinner. Also, the wardrobe was lovely looking but not practical as you can't hang a dress in it without folding it over - the wardrobe is not tall enough. There is no in room fridge but there are tea/coffee making facilities. They could do with a basin upstairs in the "bathroom" as you had to go back downstairs to wash your hands after applying makeup/hair products - not well designed. The basin in the toilet area downstairs is not big enough to share with another person, there's nowhere to put your toothbrushes & paste.

There are candlestick holders on raised the platform in the room but they have no candles - all the room's features are there for aesthetics and not practicality.

We'd booked the romance package and there were lovely flowers & chocolates in the room on arrival however, we had to ring down for the champagne and remind them to deliver it (for the cost of our stay I would have preferred a more personal touch upon checking in, asking when we would like it delivered to our room) - however, when it came it was delivered in an ice bucket & was perfectly chilled.

The staff are friendly & welcoming.

Our room wasnt ready on arrival (at 2.30pm) so we moved to the bar & were told someone would bring our key shortly - by 3.15pm no one had come so we went back to reception and had to wait another 10 minutes. When we entered our room there was a dead fly on windowsill and cobwebs on the candlesticks. I don't expect that in a room costing nearly £400 per night!

We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights as part of our romancing package and the food was excellent; some of the staff are very young and inexperienced but all very friendly and helpful. The restaurant manager was very good and attended to us well throughout the evening.

There is nowhere to go after dinner as the bar area is really small and not particularly intimate. There are lots of seating areas around the lobby where you can sit with a drink but the seats aren't that comfy and there's a constant stream of people back and forth through the corridors and it doesn't feel that special.

This hotel costs roughly the same as a room at Cliveden - Cliveden dots all the i's and crosses the t's and you feel like royalty from the minute you arrive - Coombe Abbey may look the part from outside but on the inside it's like a weird Disney-esque version of "medieval" and on closer inspection the attention to detail and personal service is just not there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thelittle1
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for business, the whole team and everyone loved it. The rooms are all unique and have character. The beds were high and comfortable, the breakast was super and the service was really good too. The bar was open till late and the surroundings peaceful. We are already booking to go back for our next meeting and xmas dinner!

Room Tip: All our rooms were different and unique!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here on 19th July for one evening as a special birthday surprise for my OH.
The grounds and Abbey are truly beautiful and it was a delight to sit in the courtyard with a drink on such a beautiful afternoon and have a stroll around the wonderful gardens and park land.

I booked a feature room which was nice, I have stayed at their sister hotel a couple of times called Lumley castle in Durham and felt the rooms were better there, but there was nothing to compalin about but i didnt feel WOW either

I actually booked on the Murder Mystery evening set in the 1940's which was a lot of fun, many people dressed up and all sat on long tables was great to get to meet people.
The biggest disappointment for me was the food, drink and service. The 3 course evening meal was mass produced and probably the worst i had ever tasted. Soup for starter on a beautiful summer evening and it was very bland! Dry Chicken breast, tiny bit of sauce on top, dry carrots and a potatoe. Best bit was the desert which was lemon (I think) tart. Wine was included with the meal, so everyone was poured approxiamtely 1/4 of a small glass of red or white and when I asked for some more wine half way through meal, i was informed only one glass was included and if I wanted more I would have to go to the bar in another room! We didn't get a full glass in the first place!!
The entertainment was good fun but really the standard of food was very bad. this was not cheap. I paid £229 for accomodation and the evening party so i would have expected a decent meal although we didnt expect gourmet cooking we did expect better than what we got.
Breakfat the following morning was served in the orangery and Im afraid I was very disappointed at the level of service. We had to queue for around 20 minutes for a table and there were quite a lot of vacant tables but not enough staff to clean them and sort the queue out to get them seated.

In summary we had a great time because we make sure we enjoy ourselves no matter what. The place is certainly beautiful but the servcie and quality of food leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the food is better (I would certainly hope so anyway) in the restuarant and I would like to try but if I got served in their main restuarant what we had for the event I would refuse to pay.

1 Thank mccauleygirls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#7 of 39 in Coventry
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!