“A pleasant afternoon.”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was given a voucher for Afternoon tea for two as a birthday present.That was back in May last year and I thought I'd best use it before it expired.
February probably isn't the best time to appreciate the grounds of Coombe Abbey,but it was still a very impressive building.
I had booked my table in January but there was no sign of my reservation on the list.However a table was found for myself and my friend.
I was concerned that the Garden conservatory would be a little chilly this time of year,but it was lovely and cosy.
Quite a few obvious cobwebs everywhere,nothing a flick round with a feather duster couldn't remedy.
We had 3 small sandwiches each,about the width of two fingers,a large scone,jam & cream(would have liked a bit of butter and more cream for two people).A little lemon meringue pie slighty larger than a 50p piece,a bun cut in half,a chocolate sponge cake about 1inch sq.
A nice large pot of tea to wash it all down.
It wasn't quite what I expected but I was full afterwards.I think I hoped for a dainty,more colourful selection of cakes.
Felt a little bit like we were being urged to finish and vacate as once we'd finished our last cake we were given a piece of paper with the code for the exit barrier in the car park.I would have expected this to be given after you'd paid your bill?
As a gift it was much appreciated and enjoyed.I would consider visiting again,but would visit during the spring/summer time.
Staff were pleasant and helpful.
The interior is full of character and history,a pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Good evening and many thanks for taking the time, to post a review, following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey, for afternoon tea.
Please, accept my sincere apologies, if you felt a little rushed towards the end of your visit, I can assure you, that this was most definitely not, our intention.
I genuinely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, in the not too distant future.

Coombe Abbey

Write a ReviewReviews (3,062)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

After spending nearly 2 days trawling the internet for somewhere different to stay for my Birthday I came across Coombe Abbey – I am so glad I did, what an absolutely amazing place this is. I only booked it 10 days before we were going to stay and I didn’t have a choice of rooms, so we were booked into the Berkeley (room 167), I booked direct with the hotel and got a cheaper deal than I could anywhere else on the internet.

The approach to the hotel is via a small road through Coombe Country Park, with the hotel car park off to the right. The entrance to the hotel itself is over a little bridge over the moat and through a lovely courtyard. When we went through the entrance it certainly gave us the “WOW” factor. If you like 12th century / gothic style then this hotel is definitely for you, it has been restored extremely well and in keeping with the period. I have read some comments on here stating that it is dimly / not very well lit – I don’t think they had fluorescent lighting in the 12th century! If you want this type of hotel then go to a “chain” hotel where all of the bedrooms are the same.

The reception staff were very courteous and helpful and booked us in quickly even though there was a short queue. When we went into “bedchamber” we were blow away, a huge 4 poster bed greeted us with sumptuous “12th century” furnishings. There were lots of little extras - a small decanter of sherry on a silver platter with glasses, a bottle of water and Appletizer, sweets on one of the bedside tables, a platter of fruit with plates, napkins and knives. Lots of tea, coffee and milk as well as hot chocolate, sachets of cappuccino and biscuits. The bathroom was up stairs via a spiral staircase – again it was beautiful with a roll top bath a separate shower, fluffy bath robes and towels and “Coombe Abbey” embellished slippers. The complimentary toiletries were abundant and very good quality. The 2 very big feather pillows on the bed were lovely, however, this is not a criticism just a comment, as I have feather pillows at home, but it would have been nice if they had pillow protectors on them as well as the pillow cases as the feathers tend to stick out a little and jab in your face at night!
We booked the medieval banquet, as there were just the 2 of us were a little apprehensive when we arrived as everyone seemed to be in big parties and dressed up. However, on being shown to our table, we were put with other couples and soon got chatting and made new friends. The evening was awesome, from the food to the ambience / decor of the Abbeygate banqueting hall to the waiting staff and actors who kept us thoroughly entertained throughout our meal.

Breakfast was lovely, sitting in the conservatory whilst it was raining and cold outside, with plenty of coffee and toast bought to our table along with a newspaper. So much so we sat there for nearly an hour and a half! The cooked breakfast did not have a huge variety, but was of good quality and tasty. The continental breakfast had lots of variety; fruit, compote, yoghurts, cheese, meat, mixed warm pastries and preserves and different flavoured juices.

Well done Coombe Abbey for making our stay an exceptional one, we cannot wait to visit again.

1  Thank svinge

Good evening and very many thanks, for taking the time to write such a complimentary review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
I was absolutely delighted to hear, that you had such an enjoyable stay and will of course pass on your extremely kind words, to the whole team here at the hotel.
I very much look forward, to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived at Coombe & took advantage of the half term offer of free upgrade to feature room & children eat free. We had a friendly welcome at reception & i was simply WOW-ed by the character & ambience of the hotel. We stayed in room 209 a beautiful 4 poster feature room. Room was spacious & well equipped. Bathroom & bedroom had furnishings in keeping with the hotel, a lovely old feel. It was a lovely quiet room & spotlessly clean. The bed - Wow! Amazingly comfy & my daughter brought her inflatable bed so no need for extra beds in room. The view was nice, nothing exciting as it was to the rear of hotel, but we were more than pleased. Couldn't fault anything in the rooms, robes in the bathrooms were a lovely touch, tv was a little dated & no Sky TV but this is a old hotel & we didn't come to watch TV, overall really pleased with the room. We'd love a suite next time as they looked the biz :) After unpacking we took a stroll around the gardens & out onto the park. Even this time of year everything was well kept & my little girl adored watching the ducks & swans on the water. We had a lovely walk & then admired the exterior & interior of this beautiful hotel. Lovely ornate corridors, beautifully furnished, it is simply a pleasure to stroll around. It's a dimly lit hotel, so beware light lovers... It's quite dark, It all adds to the ambience & gives the hotel a very relaxed feel. It's perfect for romantics, but my 3 year old enjoyed the experience just as much as we did. There is a play ground & visitors park next to the hotel so younger kids have something to do. It's perfect to bring your kids although there weren't many during our stay. Moving on to dinner, i was slightjy dissapointed with the Table d'hote. The soup & cheese & biscuits were beautiful, but the main was a tiny portion of crusted lamb & my partner had guinea fowl. It was beautiful but the portion sizes were not generous & no vegtables (except the ones that dressed the plate - 3/4 teaspoons of mash & a leafy green like veg.. These dressed the plate & were not supplemented by extra vegtables) extra veg can be ordered at a supplement but we didn't as would have been a 10 minute wait, we weren't asked if we wanted extra veg at the time of ordering so we just presumed it came with the meal. It's just a very deceptive menu. You don't get what you pay for in my opinion. The main meals we saw other guests having looked delicious & better value, on reflection i wish we'd had a main & dessert as opposed to the Table d'hote. Just poor value for money. I don't want to appear negative because the food was lovely, just expected more on the plate for £34.95.
In contrast breakfast was a feast!!!! We had ample pain au chocolats, fresh fruit & cereals & a freshly cooked English breakfast, more toast & coffee were ordered & nothing was too much trouble, breakfast was supberb!!! Service in the hotel was top class, both for the restaurant & at breakfast. Eaten at alot of fine restaurants & the mannerisms & professional service at Coombe is high up in the ranks. They have seriously got it. From pouring the wine, to taking the orders, they execute it maginifecently. I wouldn't hesitate coming back to dine here. The staff were beyond helpful
& extremely professional from check in to check out. Overall a very Fine hotel, beautiful clean rooms that are unique & ornate, very friendly staff & exceptional service. Only criticism Table d'hote, but certainly didn't put me off. Would definatley come back to Coombe ~ a truely gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013

Good evening
I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of conveying my appreciation, for writing such an extremely positive review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
I will of course, pass on your very kind comments to the team here at the hotel.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity, of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here during the early part of Feb - snow still on the ground, crisp mornings etc
This was a special 40th Birthday Present - so we decided to stay in a Queen Suite over looking the gardens
Which was lovely, very Tudor enspired - as we both love history - felt like we were transported back in time!
We stayed here for two nights at a cost of £500 per night (£250 per person) - £1000 plus food & drink on site
Cannot fault the location, as we went to Warwick Castle on the way home - paying this amount of money you expect something a bit special - but the service was very poor, and not up to the standards that we have come to expect
Cannot fault the area, place, loaction, food was also very good - but came at a price
All in this was a very expensive weekend break away

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queen Suite over looking the gardens - which was lovely, but came at a price
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Good evening and very many thanks, for taking the time to post such a constructive review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear, that you both had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. However, please accept my sincere apologies, if you felt the qualityof service that you experienced during your stay, did not meet your expectations. Please contact me personally here at the hotel, so as to hopefully allow us the opportunity to discuss the matter further and enable us to reach a mutually amicable conclusion.
I genuinely look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

A beautiful approach to the hotel, and the entrance lobby - wow! But then....... We were escorted by a very helpful porter to a completely separate building via a rabbit warren of outdoor paths, a security gate, and then a seemingly never ending very poorly lit corridor. Our room, when we finally got there, turned out to be quite small, with no refrigerator, the air con controls hanging off the wall, lampshades on the wall lights that looked like an afterthought, and a tiny bathroom. Fortunately the bed was quite comfortable! Breakfast did nothing to regain lost points - the selection was one of the least inspiring we have come across. We were glad to leave this very over rated and expensive hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Good afternoon and very many thanks, for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my sincere apologies, if Coombe Abbey, did not meet your expectations. Whilst I appreciate it is now little too late, had you reported your dissatisfaction with your allocated bedroom when you arrived at your room, we would have done our utmost, to ensure you were moved to a more suitable room.

kindest regards

Reviewed February 21, 2013

we enjoyed another fabulous stay at this amazing hotel for the valentine weekend. We stayed in our favorite section of the hotel , the park priory, and we were ungraded to a grand feature room, we normally book the feature room.

This is the perfect hotel to enjoy a relaxing romantic stay at any time of the year. All the rooms are furnished differently, and the whole place is well kept and looked after.

Our evening meal was wonderful, on this occasion we dined in the cloisters, which is a bit of a poor choice of name, my wife thought we were being put in the corridor of the old priory because the normal garden restuarant was overfull. In fact the cloisters is a very grand traditional drawing room, with a large fireplace and ornimental ceiling, magnificent.

Just to give a bit of critical feedback, hopefully constructive critism, the sunday am breakfast was a little disorganised. The hotel ususally hosts weddings and these guests may breakfast in other parts of the hotel, often the room where they have had their ceromony and night do. As this sunday was part of the busy valentine weekend the other guests either had breakfast in the garden restuarant or the cloisters, we were in the cloisters for our breakfast.The problem was there was no one greeting the guests, as is normal. Several guests waited in the corridor to be seated, unsure what to do. Some may have actually been booked in to breakfast in the other rooms.

This for us was a small problem, probabley due to the busy weekend. We will certainley be returning for another great weekend.

Good afternoon
Please accept my sincere thanks, for posting such a constructive review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear, that you had a thoroughly enjoyable, St Valentine's break. However, I would like to convey my personal apologies for the unfortunate issue you experienced with breakfast, prior to your departure. Your comments have been taken on board and I can assure you, that corrective action will be taken. Although we were extremely busy for breakfast on this particular morning, absolutely no excuse can be made.
I very much look forward, to having the pleasure of welcoming you back,
to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future,

Warmest regards

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our rooms were very good, clean and the bathroom & shower quality. The hotel has wonderful touches in the decor. The Garden Room Restaurant is a lovely setting for dinner although service was at times a little slow getting drinks but the food was enjoyed by all in our party and all the staff polite and friendly. Breakfast was good. Check in-out smooth. After breakfast we had a walk around the grounds that are definitely worth a look. Would stay again. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Good morning and very many thanks for taking the time, to write such a kind a review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my apologies, if you thought service was a little slow during dinner. However, I was delighted to hear, that it did not detract from your enjoyment of dinner it self. I will of course pass on your comments to chef.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, in the near future.

Coombe Abbey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
The Jacobean Hotel
The Jacobean Hotel
#19 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!