“A brilliant venue for our wedding”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I got married at Coombe Abbey in October 2012. We had an enormous amount of fun on the day, and a very good experience working with the hotel in planning and finalizing the arrangements.

On the run up to the big day our contact in the weddings department answered all our questions quickly - which was especially helpful in the last minute dash in the two weeks before the wedding. On the day itself our coordinator went above and beyond, ensuring all our luggage was in the right room and that our check in was automatically transferred over so we could stay with our guests (he also ensured we had a drink in our hands whenever desired!).

The food was excellent both on the day and for our rehearsal dinner with the wedding party the night before. As my parents and I are all vegetarian, this was particularly appreciated as sometimes the veggie food at other weddings I have been to has been a bit of a let down.

Although there were a few hiccups (confusion over room bookings and charges) these were managed very well and didn't give rise to any stress. I had two joining rooms for me and my bridesmaids to stay in the night before and to get ready in the morning, and the suite that my husband and I stayed on the wedding night was amazing. The grounds are also fantastic and I had a wonderful, nerve-relieving jog first thing in the morning before breakfast and getting ready.

All in all we had a really great experience and would definitely recommend the venue to others. We will certainly go back to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Good afternoon and very many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your wedding reception which took place recently here at Coombe Abbey.

I was delighted to hear that we were able to contribute in a small way to making your special day so memorable. I will of course pass on your very kind comments to the team here at the hotel.

I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you both back to Coombe Abbey at some point in the future.

Warmest regards

There are newer reviews for Coombe Abbey Hotel

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed at Coombe Abbey on previous occasions and have always found it a relaxing place to stay in beautiful surroundings. We arrived at 6pm and the hotel was very busy. We had to wait a good 10 minutes to check in. Once checked in we were given a key and went to our room. VERY disappointed it was TINY. We have never had a bad room all the times we have stayed here, until now. The room had a double bed pushed into a corner so there was only access on one side ! No wardrobe, just 3 hangers on a coat peg. The room was so cold and smelled fusty & damp. I immediately went to reception and after a few minutes were moved to another room,which was more to the standard we had experienced there before. There was a wedding reception on and the hotel was full, my objection is that guests of the reception get REDUCED price rooms, yet FULL paying guests are given inferior rooms. I spent many years in hotel management and priority should ALWAYS be given to full rate paying guests....not on this occasion ! Happily this situation was resolved with little fuss. We experienced the same experience at breakfast as on previous stays.....AWFUL buffet style breakfast, unappetising bacon and sausages with watery scrambled egg. I did order poached eggs but when they came they were solid with no runny yolk! Overall we love this hotel but are disappointed with breakfast on each stay. Would recommend but breakfast is a let down.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon

I would firstly like to take this opportunity of conveying my appreciation for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

Please accept my personal apologies for the disappointing issues that you experienced on arrival. However, I was delighted to hear that your problems were quickley resolved and you were changed to a more suitable bedroom for your stay.

As a direct result of your comments regarding breakfast, I am dellighted to inform you that we have introduced new procedures which hopefully will improve the overall standard of breakfast service.

I very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming yo back to Coombe Abbey in the near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had heard that Coombe Abbey was a romantic venue but was disappointed that it is no more than an Alton Towers like hotel. The rooms, apparently I had a feature room, was dark, smelly and not large, no sumptuous bath or hidden rooms. The bed however was very comfortable. The hotel restaurant was lovely, but the food very disappointing. breakfast was a buffet, again not what you would expect from a 4* luxury hotel.
The hotel is large and caters in the main for weddings and medieveal type banquets so it is not an intimate hotel. The communal rooms were tired, in fact it looked as though it needed a good clean.

The reception staff were not at all helpful and seemed bored with their work. No helpful advice, not even directions on when anything was or what time breakfast was!

if you want 4* luxury, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations, as a romantic venue. However, I feel I must take exception at your comment, comparing Coombe Abbey to Alton Towers.

Regards

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Attended a 50th Birthday celebration in a full dressed up Medieval Banquet, costume, and accessories... Great Four Poster Room, but lacking lighting in the room and corridors, but nice overall. Banquet and dinner interrupted too many times by intrusive and loud "entertainment" which can be categorised as debutant acting!!! But still, we enjoyed the company...
Breakfast was excellent and the conservatory provide a good surrounding to round up your night stay at the Abbey.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Good afternoon and very many thanks for taking the time to post your review following a recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here 3 or 4 times for romantic weekends and it is almost perfect. Stunning location, great food, service is a bit hit & miss though and given the price of the accommodation and food I found there attitude to a request for a bucket of ice very poor. Both I and the person in front of me at the bar were refused this request unless we bought our wine at the bar. They are clearly trying to stop people bringing in their own drink, but when you've paid over £400 for dinner B&B (in a very stunning room mind you), their attitude is irritating and very cheap. However still a favourite place for a nite away!

1  Thank Dave W
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Good evening

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

I would like to apologise on behalf of my colleague in the bar, for how your request for an ice bucket was dealt with. You are indeed correct in stating, that unfortunately this was introduced so as to hopefully reduce the amount of champagne & wine that guests now bring in to the hotel with them, instead of ordering direct from the hotel. I sincerely hope no embarrassment was caused.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, for yet another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Impressive drive to the hotel which is set in 246 acres of lovely gardens and parkland with the gardens being originally designed by Capability Brown.
We stayed in the newer wing which is adjacent to the hotel. The room was large and well equipped though the lighting could be better. I have two negative comments, this is why its not 5 star, first the heating is controlled by a warm air flow system, no radiators and despite trying to increase the temperature I never really made it much warmer. The second applies to the shower temperature; despite having a lovely huge overhead shower the temperature was only Luke warm again to adjustment to temperature or shower pressure made the water warmer.

Dinner was excellent, we both had 'aged Fillet Steak' as our main course and it really was melt in the mouth steak. The service was also excellent and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

The grounds are lovely, even to walk around in January!

I would recommend the hotel to couples, its a romantic break away, very peaceful and quiet.

Room Tip: If you want stunning views ask for a room over the river or looking out onto the gardens.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TwitterEngland

Good afternoon

I would like to convey my appreciation, for you taking the time to post a review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.

Please accept my apologies, for the issues you experienced with both the heating and hot water, I was delighted to hear that despite these problems, you still had a thoroughly enjoyable visit.

I will of course pass on your extremely kind words to chef, regarding the quality food served at dinner.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Juat got back from a wonderful stay at coombe abbey on one of their Romancing Stay packages - bottle of champers - choccies - room - flowers - dinner - breakfast for our silver wedding anniversary..

The hotel was as wonderful as you would expect, the staff where very attentive, and the room was excelent, with an amazing bath..!!

Dinner was exceptional, pigeon and venison went down very well..

The whole stay was exactly what we wanted for our romantic night away, only marred by the very small awkward wardrobe in our room, and the out of order lift..

We will be back again, if for no other reason than to see if they have fixed the lift..:-)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon and very many thanks for taking the time to write such a kind review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey, where you celebrated your silver wedding anniversary.

I will of course pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey at some point in the future.

Coombe Abbey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 118 in Birmingham
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!