“Wedding and Weekend Stay !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“Wedding and Weekend Stay !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Coombe Abbey from Friday 9th - Monday 12th November 2012. My husband and I married in The Cloisters on Saturday 10th and have been planning this since March 2011. I was worried that my excitement would lead to disappointment with such a build up, but I am pleased to say the day was absolutely perfect and no way a let down at all. Having arrived on Friday with the bridal party with 2 car loads of goods, I have to say the porter was fantastic in helping us unload the luggage. Staff throughout our stay could not have done any more, nothing was too much trouble and this includes liaising with Kelly in the Wedding Department during the 18-months planning stage. I felt so important on my wedding day, staff were attentive and seemed genuinely interested in our wedding. Another wedding took place during the Saturday and everything was well organised so that neither couples day was overshadowed. The hotel staff were also very caring when my father was taken ill on the wedding night, and asked after him the day following. The Lady Craven suite is out of ths world and worth the extra money for special visits. Perfect venue setting for our perfect wedding day. Thank you to you all x

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Good afternoon Absfab

I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of conveying my personal appreciation, for taking the time to write such a kind review, following your wedding ceremony & reception, which both recently took place here at Coombe Abbey.

I was delighted to hear, that we at Coombe Abbey, were able to contribute in a small way to making your special day as near to perfect as possible.

I will of course ensure, that your extremely kind words, are passed on to the whole team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to Coombe Abbey in the near future.

Warmest regards

Coombe Abbey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Hednesford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a lovely place to hold your wedding. The grounds are beautiful and the building has such character and history. The day went so smooth, the staff are very helpful and very efficient. The rooms also have great character. Food is devine, would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leanne R
Good afternoon Leanne

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, following your recent stay her at Coombe Abbey.

I will of course, pass on your extremely kind words, to the whole team here at the hotel and genuinely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Coombe Abbey
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were married there 10 years ago (Nov 2002) and my wife and I went back 10 years later (Nov 2012).

The hotel has lost some of it's character, the changes in layout around the bottom of the stairs so you can now access the new restaurant take something away from the once spectacular entrance.

It's a shame the private dining booths and restaurant have gone, the new conservatory whilst very nice it not a cosy as the previous restaurant and the breakfast is now buffet style rather than table service.

We didn't see the new room block so can't comment on that, we still had a great time, just not as cosy as it was previously, if you have not been and are thinking of going it's still a great place to visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself was nice with a history behind it, that you can just stroll around and enjoy it. A stroll around the grounds during the day would be nice if you had the time as well.

The evening function that we held there (not medieval banquet) was a complete let down. Cheap and chewy steak that was uneatible and left on many plates, dessert looked nice - but I wasnt even offered one and when I asked for it I was told there was not enough. We deserve a refund and apology!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good evening

I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of thanking you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel itself and the wonderful parkland that surrounds the hotel.

I was however, extremely disappointed to read your comments, regarding the quality of both the food and service that you received during your stay and would like to convey my personal apologies for these shortcomings.

Could I kindly ask you to contact me at the hotel, so as to discuss the matter further and enable me to hopefully resolve the issues you unfortunately encountered.

kindest regards

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Cranfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a one night stay in conjunction with meeting another two couples (whom we hadn't seen since schooldays!) to attend a Medieval Banquet. The whole package was excellent! The hotel is in a beautiful setting and country park. The building itself is jam-packed full of character and the reception and valet staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were allocated a room in a building adjacent to the hotel which was also characterful. The room had lovely finishing touches and the most comfortable (but high) bed. Our wardroble was a replica travelling trunk upturned! Air-con and toiletries, crisp white bedding and fluffy towels...just lovely!
The Banquet itself was a wonderful experience and virtually every guest has gone to town with the optional dress...there were 'wenches' 'knights' 'ladies' and 'jesters' aplenty! We were entertained with bawdy tales and songs throughout the meal and finished off the night with some dancing at the disco! Huzzah!
Breakfast is served in the extremely beautiful 'garden-room/conservatory' and was delicious and varied. My ONLY niggle was the slow service for hot drinks and toast at the table.
It was an ideal venue to meet up with friends. Lots of nooks to sit in and interesting things to see. The walks are wonderful.
Very much looking forward to going again some time soon.

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had high tea in the wonderful conservatory attached to this wonderful Hotel. The decor is in keeping with this 12th century Abbey. Had to visit the ladies which was at the top of a very old staircase, I didn't pass any one either going up the stairs or coming back down and I must admit It felt quite spooky couldn't wait to get back to the very well lit conservatory. The food is wonderful and the waiting staff very attentive nothing is too much trouble for them. Highly recommended for that special occasion.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here the day after getting married in Essex en route to the Lake District.
When we arrived the receptionist was ever so friendly and very helpful indeed, We had our car parked by valet and where taken to our room by a very friendly member of staff.
We where given a room, it was stunning, once we got in there was a bit chilly, we tried to set the heating but the display panel had been smashed therefore could not see the temperature my husband called reception and they sent someone down with a heater.
We went to dinner and i cant fault them for anything, I have food allergy's and there where more than helpful and went above and beyond exceptional service in my eyes.
Once back to our room was still cold so called reception and they moved us to another room without question.
This was smaller not as grand but still very pretty.
Breakfast was excellent again catered for my allergy and made me feel very normal and just like anyone else.
Me and my husband intend to return here every year for our anniversary's ( Well i hope so )
Only downside was the heating issue otherwise a excellent stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Priory !