“Wedding venue”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I tried to contact this venue with regard to a wedding next year. 3 times I tried to discuss this with the venue and they did not respond. My last attempt was to ask when I could expect them to come back to me. Surprise surprise they did not respond. Are they that complacent and arrogant that they can afford to turn business away,especially a wedding! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for anything. Their customer service is shocking. It takes a long time to build up a good reputation but only a short time to loose it!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Fantastic place to stay , full of history and realy makes your stay special. the staff were all friendly and polite. lots of info about other places to vist when you stay.Make sure you are up on time for breakfast because it is probadly the best I have had. the evening meals where priced fairly ( for hotel prices)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

You will read many reviews here saying different things, whatever they say this hotel is definitely worth staying at.
The car park is a short walk from the main hotel entrance but disabled parking is available immediately outside the door. The car park is free for residents. It's important to note that Coombe Abbry is situated within Coombe Park, this is a public park but is do extensive that you don't see that many people and " walkers " etc do not have immediate access to the hotel.
Check in was smooth, the receptionist was efficient if not a little too efficient, ( lack of interaction). Our room- a feature double was very plush. A big four poster dominated the room and contrary to other reports was very comfy and provided a wonderful nights sleep. Yes the room( and most of the hotel) are dimly lit or as I would prefer to call it " mood lighting". For me this helps maintain the ambience and aura of the hotel. If you had this place lit up like Blackpool it would kill it.

Hot drinks, digital tv and free wi-fi are all available in the rooms as are toiletries. I agree with others, a small complimentary bottle of water would be a very nice touch and maybe this is something the hotel could consider. Some people have said the room should have a fridge..I stay at many hotels and very few have fridges in the room so do not see the lack of one a real problem. Coombe Abbey is an experience, enjoy the moment and have room service..cool drinks can be brought up to you and ours arrived within minutes of ordering,( there is a small surcharge).

The actual bar area is a little small and can only really accommodate around 6-8 guests but there are plenty of other tables in the main hall area that can be used. The conservatory restaurant is very nice and differs greatly in ambience and style from day to night. We ate in there in the evening and were lucky enough to have one of the "birdcages" in the corner. It's quite bizarre but added to our experience. The food quality was very good. All of it was well presented and served with good service.
Between us we had scallops, rib eye steak, monkfish. The scallops weren't aplenty but had a deep flavour and were cooked to perfection. The same was true of the steak, cooked as requested seved with " fat chips". The house Merlot is of a good level and if memory serves me right so was the Malbec we had with the meal. Tea and brandy rounded off a nice evening before retiring to our lovely four poster.

Breakfast offers a wide selection of continental fayre- cereals, cheeses, meats cakes. And then is supplemented with a choice of hot food. This varies from full english( both meat or veg option) / smoked fish/ eggs benedict and some more to boot. All in all we found the food to be as it had been the night before, well cooked and presented with good taste.

Checkout was a different experience to check in. The lady was very chatty and friendly telling us all about the ghosts that are rumoured to live there.
I would definitely return as this is a lovely hotel and the staff, facilities are very difficult to beat. Yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. The website shows various offers and from time to time you can get a real bargain so keep checking.

Finally, the hotel does offer medieval banquets -weddings- party nights- afternoon tea. All those details are available via the website.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spongegod
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Despite reading some less than favourable reviews about this hotel, I decided to make up my own mind. My Husband, myself and 2 friends booked a feature room per couple & Medieval Banquet on Oct 20th.
On entering the hotel the character was evident everywhere and myself & party were very impressed. A mixture of stone arches, ornate carvings and atmospheric lighting greeted us. The friendly staff directed us to our rooms, room 141 very pleasing and comfortable to our friends & the Princess Elizabeth suite for myself and Husband. It is beautifully decorated, with private bathroom up a quirky little staircase, wonderful looking bed & lovely views across the moat. Fresh fruit & sherry was waiting to refresh us.
The Medieval Banquet was very well organised and I was impressed by the amount of people who embraced the spirit & dressed in medieval costume - about 85% of 150 people! The food provided was simple fayre but tasty and well presented on authentic glazed pottery ware. It was well accompanied by mead & red wine. The entertainment was just that - entertaining, funny and well timed in between courses. The after show disco was really good and a lovely end to the evening. excellent value for money!
The following morning I was expecting (after previous trip advisor comments) to not have such a good experience with breakfast, WRONG! We arrived at 9.10am at peak time. We were almost immediately seated even though the hotel was full. The dining room was very pretty & clean with lots of interesting things to look at. The breakfast itself was varied & catered for all tastes including fresh fruit, pastries, cheeses, cereals & cooked breakfast, It was well presented and the cooked breakfast was hot & tasty.
Checking out was swift & easy. Afterwards we stayed for a further hour or so for an impromptu tour of some of the historical rooms & stories about the colourful characters that played their part in Coombe Abbey's history by the delightful Duty Manager, Tony.(please write a book!)
All in all, a brilliant weekend!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank zarrina b
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked a feature room at Coombe abbey in September.....The first room we were given, was not acceptable, and I made it known to reception that we were not happy. I found the woman behind reception unfriendly and snotty, customer servive not being her strong point. However, the duty manager came to see us, showed us another room, that was lovely and we moved....He was totally the opposite to the receptionist and was superb. We had also booked the dinner and breakfast package. Dinner was fantastic, although a little chilly in the conservatory restaurant, Staff were attentive and friendly....we had a lovely evening. The room was warm, bed comfortable and we had a great nights sleep, no problem with noise. The grounds and main abbey are incredible...it is so beautiful. We loved the place....and are returning this weekend, I just hope the snotty woman on reception isn't there...lol

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was treated to a nights stay including evening meal and breakfast so I can't comment on value for money.
I had a great stay.
I would describe this hotel as plush as oppose to luxury. If you look closely you can see it is quite tired. But that being said it is quite a few years old!!
Previous reviews have described it as dark and dingy but this is all part of the character.
However I agree that the lighting in the room could have been better, and the facilities were not the best. The hair dryer broke.
The service was excellent. When we arrived our room wasn't ready. So the receptionist checked for other available rooms. The porter then showed us a selection of rooms and we were allowed to choose which one we wanted.
There is so much history to take and look at, a great place to stay and for photographs.

Sadly the food in the restaurant didn't meet the same the standard which you expect for a hotel of this rating, it was good but disappointing.

I would recommend a nights stay but watch out for the ghosts!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked Sunday lunch at the restaurant for my husbands 40th birthday. The food was delicious and the service excellent! We both stopped over for the night. The room was wonderful, with a view of coombe country park. The staff were courteous and very friendly. It is quite pricey, but worth it for a treat!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#8 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!