“Mediaeval banquet”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Mediaeval banquet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Overall a very good stay only a few problems with the shower and mediaeval banquet very good and the actors definately earned their money and overall an enjoyable experience, the food was awful but not much was expected

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

First I will just say I agree with everything that RUSS1602 said. That saves me writing all that out again.

I went there with 6 other family and girlfriends for a Hen Weekend. We attended the Medieval Banquet, in costume. Check-in got very confusing, partly because rooms weren't ready, and the computer system kept failing. Also, my sister had booked 3 twin rooms and one single, which all turned out to be doubles. One was quite a small double and wasnt really appropriate for our needs. To be fair to the check-in staff (especially Hayley - 'Hello') they did handle it well and eventually got us all sorted. For us this was not a problem because we were there to have a fun weekend but I could see that for some this may be frustrating.

The banquet was bit noisy, possibly becuase we were all left waiting around in the bar area for quite a while, so a lot of alcohol drunk. We were sat at one end, furthest away and sound system wasnt very good so most of the time we could not hear what was happening on the little stage. We just laughed when everyone else did to join in ! The food was what you expect at a Medieval Banquet - very basic, but the novelty is in eating without cutlery and in the dark candle light.

The disco after the banquet was a great idea, and alllows you to extend the evening.

Having said all that about the banquet, we all had a great time. But just wanted others to be aware of what it is like and go with the right expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Barnowls22
Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Lady Craven Suite for 2 nights – yes it was lovely but freezing on the first night and roasting on the second. As for the food, I considered it was average to poor. Service – the staff were courteous but not attentive. It would appear that the hotel is considered the primary mover by staff when it should be the guests. I found out later that the hotel is run by Coventry Council and it then became apparent why, “I’m very sorry” is so easily said.

My receptionist was very pleasant and pleased to satisfy our needs but request follow-up was not performed. Issues that reduced the pleasure of our stay;

On the first morning, we were disturbed 3 times before 10:30 by the service staff, the first time being 09:20
No eye contact with guests and hence no staff activity when beckoned
Wine list cover was in a shabby state
Menus were covered with grease marks
Bar tables were not cleaned properly
A member of staff brushed me with his coat and gave no apology
Ice buckets placed where they could not be reached
I had to fill our wine glasses even when the waiter was there delivering the food
Electrical equipment was not tested for effectiveness
Room temperatures were not monitored prior to and during our stay
Requests had to be asked twice for any action to be taken
Previous occupant's tie was still in the room after we had finally left the room
Food was not presented well and some dishes were just ordinary to tasteless

Conclusion – I will not stay again and the hotel management do not appear to understand what is meant by “service”. The hotel appears to be living on reputation and lack of service quality will bring it down.

Room Tip: The Lady Craven Suite overlooking the garden and lake was excellent
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Went to experience an afternoon tea bought for us as a Christmas present. Looked at the participating venues and chose Coombe Abbey. Decided to take option of a special Friday evening DBB offer - Glad we did.

The afternoon tea was excellent - small cost but treated as though we had paid the earth.

Coombe Abbey is some special hotel - very atmospheric and the meals were excellent. The room we stayed in was on the dark side as the theme is in keeping with it's age (no reading of long novels etc). The Grounds and surrounding country park were impressive. Several events were taking place at the same time but the siting of these removed any noise disturbance in the main hotel building.

Meal choice was quality based rather than quantity based and the wine list will suit most tastes.

There is a national heritage castle 11 miles away which, if visite, concludes a very special visit

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Easy to find off the main Coventry ring road, but check via Google maps as some satnav's don't take you straight to the location.
Really good first impression and impressive driveway to Abbey. Parking easy, but slog to reception so if it's raining, take a coat or umbrella before you begin your journey.
Good booking-in service at reception, friendly - however, took me ages to find my room in confusing set up. Could sign-post better for all concerned.
Room well furnished, clean and good quality, but dark. Bathroom great - shower even greater!
Breakfast and evening meal taken in the conservatory - very good, with excellent selection of fresh foods and choice. Service was very good.
The whole place is steeped in history so don't forget to take some time to look around the grounds and buildings when you are there. The Abbey is used a lot for business meetings.
Quiet and comfortable stay. Mobile signal is poor. Wifi available in some areas.
Not too expensive and good value. Would recommend.

1 Thank RUSS1602
rob140567
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a fabulous hotel

It has so much character, great staff, amazing rooms and wonderful setting. The whole place just took my breath away and I cannot wait to go back. I had room 141 which had a beautiful view, huge windows, stunning four poster bed and wonderful en-suite. Staff look after us well and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I cant wait to go back for much longer stay. I have a £140 a night deal which was the best value I have had in a long time for a hotel of this quality

2 Thank Rob B
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently spent a three day conference here. Having heard so much about it I was really looking forward to my stay. Some may call the hotel atmostpheric but I just found it really dark and gloomy. It is undoubtedly the most stunning house and setting but the interior designer has just gone a bit too gothic. It makes it all a bit like a theme park which doesn't do this historic house justice. Having said that the American guests were loving it!. The food was fine but not remarkable. The service was OK too, but the over powering gloom of the place seems to have rubbed off on the staff!.

Room Tip: Insist on having the aircon checked. Mine didn't work and the porter was unable to operate it.
1 Thank bishybarnaby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#7 of 39 in Coventry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,974 reviews

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!