“Its like staying in Hogwarts”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
London
“Its like staying in Hogwarts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Converted from a large country house built over the years (starting in medieval times) with a moat, it's a lovely hotel which plays well on its oldy worldy atmosphere - big fires, cosy high backed chairs etc - great on a winter's night. Our room (and a few others) had a sort of four poster bed in it (huge), silk fleur de lys pattern wallpaper (wont have been cheap), thick velvet curtains etc; It might all look old, but its well maintained and its definitely not shabby.
We stayed on a Friday night when they do a deal of dinner, bed and breakfast for about £200 for two. The restaurant is an a newer part of the house; not in the same style of the rest of the decor but OK. Food was good; well executed modern european, supported by a decent (and reasonably priced) wine list. Service was OK but lacked the polish you'd find in some smarter restaurants; it was nothing horrendous but little things like having to serve our own wine, or being asked who'd ordered what. That said, staff (both in the restaurant and around the hotel) were helpful and polite.

I'd definitely stay here again; we used it as a stop off on the way up north (its not that much of detour off the M1). There was a wedding in progress; this is the ideal hotel for that kind of do.

Room Tip: Go for a four poster bed room, and in the summer, try and get a ground floor room with doors out to...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We booked Coombe Abbey as we have visited before and wanted to treat some friends to a night away from home, we had not told them what an experience they were in for. As we drove down the long leafy drive way, we all spotted the amazing building ahead of us, can only be described as palatial, Castle like, Stately home status, originally an Abbey, you get a feeling of going back 500 years as you park your car and walk the short distance across the moat and in to the Wooden doors leading in to the most amazing reception area i have ever seen. Check in was fast and efficient, a pleasant greeting followed by a personal tour of the Bar, Dining room and then all the way to our rooms. We took our friends to their room first, one of the signature rooms at Coombe, they nearly had a heart attack, I thought we were in heaven, four poster bed, the most beautiful furnishings you can imagine and all in the most tasteful manner i have seen in any hotel room, I've travelled the world !!! but wait ! There is no bathroom we all gasped, until my wife pointed out the spiral staircase in the corner of the room, (yes, the room was so big we hadn't spotted it) so, up the staircase we go in to the Mezzanine Bathroom, cast Iron Bath in the middle, Steam room with rainforest shower, Aa big comfortable bathside chair, slippers, Bathrobes, OMG, this is the life, I wont go in to our room as it was equally magnificent, I pray that you look in to the feature rooms when booking as they are an experience of a life time, Comfortable, luxurious full with Antique furniture yet modern and ultra functional, oh, I have to mention the small decanter of sherry with 2 Crystal glasses, I believe this is standard !!!!
So, It's 6pm and my wife is trying to get me out of the room, I dont want to go ! while i was in the shower our room maid came with some turn down chocolates and a welcome card to advise us of the weather forcast for the next day !!!
Down to dinner! the bar is amazing, there was a real buzz as there were a good mix of 80 Doctors who were having a conference and several couples on a romantic or just a short break getaway, great atmosphere yet well organized and real personal service, time for a glass of Chardonnay, which came cold and quickly and i found the prices reasonable, considering the surroundings i would have paid double !!!!!!!
Wwe had dressed for dinner but the feeling was smart business casual, we Loved this mix as there were Bar menu's available which looked amazing and then the full A la Carte and Table D'Hote menus, nobody looked out of place, a mixture of corporate and relaxing people enjoying everything on offer all for different reasons.
In to dinner, we were greeted by the Hotel Manager Alison, she spent a few mins with us and made us feel very special, we ordered and had the most wonderful dining experience we have had for a long time, certainly in the Warwickshire area, we travel miles for this quality, Pumpkin Risotto, Slow Brasied Beef Shin, I had Monkfish and it was cooked to perfection, dessert was a trio of something but i was so satisfyed i think i ordered for the sake of it, i couldnt manage to finish but did enjoy a really nice Coffee, we then headed out to the reception area and had a glass of wine while looking at the unbelievable surroundings and just people watching, this was amazing night and again i couldn't wait to get back to my Suite, I was not disapointed with the bed, slept like a baby! my wife is 8 months pregnant and had the best nigts sleep for a couple of months.
The next morning we all met for Breakfast, I loved that Breakfast is served until 10am, in my experience it's usually earlier in main stream hotels so this was great, the manager had reserved a table for us in a semi-private section on the restaurant, it was again an amazing culinary experience, I had a good Cooked Breakfast with locally sourced Eggs, Bacon, Sausage etc while the others had Kippers, Smoked Salmon with Poached eggs and various pastries, service was good, our waiter even asked us how long we had for Breakfast, we were in no hurry !!!!!
So, back to pack our bags, we packed, left the rooms by 11am and dropped our belongings in the car and had a good 2 hour walk around the grounds, if you get a chance take the hotel tour, i think you have to arrange it but Alison offered to show us around and we took full advantage of it, you Have to see the Medieval Banquet hall, this is amazing, we are only sorry we didnt take advantage of one of their nights in there, I heard it is an amazing experience, (Great excuse to go back)
The grounds are pristine and perfectly presented, we spent over an hour and didn't see half of the gardens, my wife said she wants to get married again just to have the reception at Coombe, she didnt state if it was with me or even if that mattered !!!!!!!!
Time to leave, our friends have to go to work !!! too bad, but as we prepare to leave i see on my facebook page they have already posted pictures of the night and people are commenting on how amazing our night was, our friends are still in Awe and start chatting to Alison to book afternoon tea for next week, Mission accomplished !!!
I have been in the Hotel industry for 20 years and this is the first review i have ever written, and the first i feel in worthy of such, so i will simply state the company name "NO ORDINARY HOTELS" It certainly lives up to it's name in the most positive sense possible. I'm hooked and cant wait for my next excuse to stay there. Damien O'Connor

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank DAMIEN O
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

we have just returned from a lovely day out at coobe abbey hotel .We had a lovely cream tea followed by festive choir singing in high court ,it felt really christmassy with the candles lit and a beautiful tree decorated in the reception .The staff are really helpfull and made our day one to remember.Would definitley reccomend this experience nice to give as a gift too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank waynepuffett07
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

What an enchanting setting and characterful set of buildings. Overall this was a pleasant 2 day training course with Murder Mystery Dinner and overnight stay. The mass catering for the evening meal in High Court was very passable- the entertainment from the actors excellent.

2 things marred my stay- 1) I took the opportunity to use their deal with Virgin active to go for a swim and steam- but I on their web site its still called esporta and a tomtom goes to the wrong place on post code- so one is left in unfamiliar territory solo using a map and written directions in dark November- not easy. Update the website and advise you about sat nav use is my suggestion and 2) I was awoken at 5:20 am by an automated early morning call (from a very deep sleep in a lovely comfortable bed)- yes mistakes happen- however the porter rang 10 min later to check I was up and I said I had not booked the call and that I was not happy - NO APOLOGY- just 'I am unhappy too' and he put the phone down- so the customer service does not live up to the grand/ quirky/ fabulous environs.

Grand brekky. Nice big ensuite. Door cards that work- great seating in hotel areas- lunch on 24th poor buffet- today was much better- appropriate small amount of hot food.no bottled water in rooms

Room Tip: 124, looks out from main abbey over the quad and drawbridge
1 Thank Philip W
bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

On arrival driving down the long approach road I wasn't ready for the spendour that is Coombe Abbey Hotel. I thought that I was staying at a stately home. The hotel is fabulous, it is packed full of history complete with a bridge & moat. The entrance hall is dark & like entering a castle. Staff very helpful & pleasant. I had a ground floor room with a 4 poster bed which was gobsmacking as I wasn't expecting anything like it. The room was great & I loved it. Heating was full on & reception asked a porter to attend to it which he did at once. I ate in the restaurant which was a great experience, food was gorgeous. Good thing about ground floor room was that it had french windows so that I could sit outside and have a cigarette & was caught on camera when the security light came on when I opened the doors.
I stayed for 2 nights & am already planning on staying again next year it is one of my favourite hotels that I have ever stayed at, 6 stars.

Room Tip: I liked my ground floor room as I could go outside for a smoke but I am told that all of the rooms a...
1 Thank mcfcfanBournemouth
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

What a fantastic experience ! I booked the romantic package for my husbands 50th birthday as surprise. It included flowers, chocolates & champagne and a feature room. We had room 138 and it was spectacular ! The hotel was very dark, but I felt that this all added to the ambiance. The staff were all helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough to help you. The food was spectacular. We had a menu included in our deal, but chose some of the food from another section, and this was just added to our final bill. I really feel this was great value and would highly recommend this to anyone that likes history and a romantic night away !!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 138...I understand from the staff that strange ghostly encounters had been seen in...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julia b
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

This hotel is not fit for business stays...Rooms are incredibly dark with only a stool to sit on. The service was very poor with unhelpful staff not willing to compensate. Altogether a very disappointing experience.

4 Thank Egremont G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#8 of 39 in Coventry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,968 reviews

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!