“Wonderful gardens and we may book again”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful gardens and we may book again”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Coombe Abbey on Saturday 18th June 2011, for a romantic break. I had chosen this particular hotel over many others as I'm a particular fan of 'old' hotels, I don't like hotels that are modern. I was very disappointed with the location of our room, as I hadn't realised that a new building had been built and we were located there for our stay. The whole point of the hotel selection was to stay in the Abbey and even though the room was clean, I couldn't hide my disappointment. This said, the staff were very helpful and the views and gardens were spectacular!!! Breakfast was wonderful, however we did have to wait well over 15 minutes for our selection, as we seremed to have been forgotten.The staff did apologise for our wait. I would stay here again, but in a room inside the Abbey and not Priory Park, where we were located.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast on June 18th, it was excellent value, the bedroom was quirky but very pleasantly decorated. The Restaurant was was very good, the staff attentive but not intrusive, the food was excellent.
The Hotel provided a very relaxing and unusual weekend.
Highly recommended, so unlike the souless chain hotels.

2 Thank AJB1950
Rutland
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The building and grounds are splendid and the bedrooms have a lot of character but feel very dark and gloomy, and the hotel has no leisure facilities at all
I wouldn't rush back to stay there on business but OK for a family/friends break.

Room Tip: Booked via Laterooms as hotel claimed to be full
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
stoke on trent
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Went to a wedding and stayed overnight. service 100%. food 100%. rooms 100%. the whole surroundings AMAZING!! could not fault it...WELL DONE COOMBE ABBEY EMPLOYEES..!

Room Tip: get 2nd floor and you cant go wrong..
2 Thank fazerboy123
Derby
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband & I were given a B&B voucher as a Christmas present, after going over the available hotels we picked Coombe Abbey & what a fantastic choice.
Coombe Abbey is set in its own expansive, beautiful grounds, the original building is historic and rambling, mood lit inside with nooks and crannies stuffed with comfy chairs, statues, suits or armour and paintings. We paid £30 extra to have an upgrade to a 'feature room'.. this room was massive! deep blue fixtures with a 4 poster double bed which you had to step up to. A beautiful fully tiled victorian bathroom with roll top bath, fluffy towels and bath robes, deep set windows and a modern tv. What more could you ask for? We booked in for the eveing meal, & although I was disappointed by my steak the pudding, wine and service was great.
Breakfast was plentiful and varied and I would like to add that the staff were wonderful, friendly, chatty and helpful but not overly so.
We have recommended the hotel to friends and family and are looking forward to going back again soon.

2 Thank Derbyclarky
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Myself and my wife stayed for the weekend 20th/21st May 2011 and had a lovely restful and romantic weekend.

We booked through travelzoo and stayed in a feature room for a very reasonable £99.00 per night with £40.00 towards dinner on Friday and 25% off food on Saturday.

The room was spacious and luxurious with a view over the moat and out into the park. The bathroom was large and plenty of room for the both of us to use at the same time.

The food and service in the Garden Terrace Restaurant were great and we were well looked after. The head waiter was amusing and we would recommend eating there.

This Hotel is ideal for a romantic and relaxing break with a lovely park to wander around during the day. If you are looking for a more lively after dinner night life it may not be the right place as it was pretty dead after dinner.

Wales, UK
Reviewed May 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Coombe Abbey on Friday the 13th of May 2011 along with another couple. I cannot fault this hotel! All staff were extremely polite and helpful. We also attended the medieval feast and we chosen as Baron and Baronness. This experience was very funny and enjoyable. The staff who organise this venue put all their heart into the event which makes it wonderful.
The grounds Coombe Abbey are set in are vast and clean for walks. There is also an adventure wooden outdoor playground a short walk away.
Please do not let the price put you off. In fact we considered the prices very reasonable for the service provided which included a breakfast of basically whatever you desired.
I would definetely visit Coombe Abbey again and hope to visit again.
Whatever your age you can enjoy this venue

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#7 of 39 in Coventry
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!