“Dissapointing Visit”

Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed September 19, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Julian_Ward, General Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Reviewed September 5, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Julian_Ward, General Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Cannot find fault with this budget priced hotel. The staff were all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I got a very good night's sleep, undisturbed by any external noise. Does what it says on the tin, this establishment does not try to be anything it's not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here.
My team and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Coventry south in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Quite hard to find do think the signage problem needs addressing after travelling for hours the last hing you need is to struggle finding the hotel. All that said we would go again now we know where it is. We stayed as we were entered in a dog show at stoneleigh. Our room was good lovely and clean and on the ground floor with a grassy area outside brilliant with a dog. The walk by the river is lovely too. Breakfast was good . We stayed for two nights and would not hesitate to stay again. The staff were very friendly .

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

Regards the signage toward the hotel, we do have several signs around the local area,
But I appreciate this may not be very clear currently we are unable to do more due to local planning issues with road signage.
Both our own website (ibishotel.com) & other third party sites such as Booking.com / Late rooms have detailed information on arrival to the hotel.
Regards

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We booked into the Ibis for just one night ( thank goodness), we had used Ibis before in another town and never had a problem.
First impression was how terribly confusing it was to actually fnd the place, eviidently the local road lay out had been changed, sat nav was no use so we had to call from three streets away to get directions. Some roadside signage would have been a big help!
Next problem was the shortage of staff. I am guessing the way they keep it so reasonably priced is by hiring less people. One poor soul seemed to be serving drinks, operating a friar, answering the phone and dealing with customers at the counter.

Our room was ok, a fair sized room with a nice big bed. Yes, the bed was close to the wall on one side but putting in a smaller bed would have spoilt the effect. All very clean, extremely comfortable, bathroom with shower and a small bath, so far so good! The problem realy started when we flushed the toilet! Instantly it flooded right up to the top but thankfully did not spill over! Back to reception again to speak to " she who does all things" and were told that no one could fix it that night. After ,much discussion and hanging about I was advised that if it actually spilled over during the night we would be moved to a new room. NOT IMPRESSED. At this point we were so tired after our trip up from Devon that I was almost losing the will to live! . By now it was 9.30pm and "she" said if we really wanted too, we could have someone come in later on to look at it when they came on shift! No chance ! All I wanted was to go and lie down in peace!
By now I was less than amused and extremely tired so we gave up and went to bed in the hope that it didnt flood over the sides. I left nothing in the bathroom " just in case"
Although the bed was comfortable I did not have much sleep because sadly the rooms are not very well sound proofed. Every time the people above us walked about it was clump clump clump . We could hear every move, every tap that was run, every cough! Sadly I myself had a terrible cough so spent the whole night trying to stifle it for fear of waking the entire block!

6.20 am, I was awakened by my pup trying to be sick so grabbed her up, ran outside in my night things and placed her on the grass. My husband pulled his jeans on and came out with leash, doggy bag, door key etc. As I was only in my night things I asked for the key to slip back into the room. In the 30 seconds I had been outside the electronic swipecard key for the door decided to stop working! Wonderful! Here I am in the car lot in my night dress and it is broad daylight! There I had to stand until my husband went up to the main building to get the key re activated!

After finally returning to our room and making a cup of tea we then loaded the car only to find that AGAIN the key had stopped working!
After the various trials and tribulations we decided to leave there and then and go and purchase breakfast else where, I dont think I would have risked eating there after everything elses going wrong!
Would I stay there agaiin? Probaby yes but not in room 12 and certainly not on the ground floor where people tramp overhead and along the walkway until all hours of the night!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed by some problems you experience during your stay,

Regards

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ten of us stayed en route to Retro Rides car show. We had a really good peaceful stay. The rooms are simply furnished and very clean. Nice comfy king sized bed. Full sized bathroom with bath. TV, hairdryer, kettle etc. The staff are very helpful. Next morning we enjoyed a good breakfast, with choice of english breakfast, cereals, croissants and coffee. Overall a good experience. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Julian_Ward, General Manager at Ibis Coventry South, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts.
My team and I appreciate your kind words. I'm pleased that you found the staff helpful and look forward to welcoming you back to IbisCoventry South in the future
Julian ward General Manager

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked two nights at the Ibis Coventry South as I was attending an event at the Ricoh arena and this was one of the cheapest hotels in the vicinity. The setup is slightly odd, as the reception/bar/lounge/restaurant is in one building on one side of the car park, while the actual rooms are in a separate building on the other side of the car park.

The room building is on two floors and is motel-style, with no corridors, just doors to rooms facing directly out onto the walkway on the ground floor, or the "balcony" on the second floor. I had room 140, which was in the far corner on the first floor. At night, while the stairs you had to climb came complete with a blindingly bright movement triggered light, but once around the corner it was not lit at all, so was quite unnerving entering your room late at night. CCTV cameras which I saw gave little reassurance and I only saw one, so lots of blind spots with those.

The room itself was pretty much what I'd expect - basic and small. There was a strange layout feature whereby you open the front door of the room to enter and immediately find yourself in a kind of "air-lock" with another door directly in front of you which opens into the room itself. This small square area between these two doors has a transparent pane looking into the room, so all in all it's a strange feature. Only the outermost door has any kind of lock on it, so I'm not sure what the point of this was.

When I first arrived at my room, I found a dead bug lying on its back on the sideboard, which was unfortunate. I gave housekeeping the benefit of the doubt and assumed it had decided to expire there after they prepared the room. I left it there to see whether they would deal with it the following day or not - it seems they decided to move it into the sink in the bathroom for me, which was not exactly the result I was looking for.

The room had a small bench next to the bed, with a sideboard/desk and a chair, facing out of the window at the front of the room. The window did open fully, but also had a restrictive lock so that you could leave it open somewhat at night without fear of intruders climbing through.

There was a small LCD TV on a table facing the bed and a wardrobe with some hanging and drawer space in the corner of the room. The bathroom was fine, with sink, toilet and shower/bath. The plughole mechanism on the sink was not in 100% working order, but this didn't really bother me. The shower was reasonable, although the bath was quite small, so there wasn't much room for manoeuvre and the shower curtain kept sticking to me.

The double bed was reasonably comfortable as were the pillows and I didn't have any trouble sleeping. I left the DND sign on my door on both nights and was not woken by housekeeping at any point, which was good. General noise was fairly minimal, although you could sometimes hear people in other rooms or walking past outside.

The two members of staff who I dealt with were friendly, helpful and courteous, although on checking out the individual on reception didn't ask me if everything was ok with my stay - if he had, I probably would have mentioned my unexpected room-mate along with a couple of other minor points.

I didn't sample any of the food or drink in the reception area, so I cannot comment on the quality. There was a room service menu in the room which included some items which were available 24 hours a day and prices/selection looked reasonable. Speaking of 24 hour facilities, I did need to speak to reception at 5am one morning to find out what time checkout was and it took a couple of attempts and some waiting to get them to pick up the phone - I presume they were busy with something else though and not just ignoring me.

All in all this is a perfectly fine place to stay for a very cheap price. If you're visiting Jaguar/Land Rover for business it's a 5 minute walk away, so is perfectly located. For other areas of Coventry, nothing is more than a few minutes away in the car, although like in all cities, traffic can be a factor. I would recommend this hotel to others, provided I know they're not too fussy about the quality of their accommodation.

Room Tip: If you go for the upper level, try to get something close to the stairs, as the first you go from th...