“You get what you pay for”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for my 1st wedding anniversary this weekend. We booked through travelzoo and only chose Royal Court because it seemed like a really good bargain (£129 for 2 nights, double 'executive' room, dinner and breakfast inc).

The hotel grounds and reception area are lovely, however I would echo other peoples' comments by saying that the hotel in general is quite dated. Our 'executive' room was nice enough and the spa bath was a really nice touch. However, downsides were that the shower water was pretty tepid even on its hottest setting and the walls were PAPER THIN. On the first night we were both woken up between 4am-5:30 by a couple in the room next door talking (at normal pitch) and then last night we struggled to sleep because the guy next door was snoring.

The carvery meal was by far the worst aspect of our stay. Very cheap and cheerful - vegetables were soggy, the queue to get the meat was ridiculous and most of the food looked as though it had been sat out for a good couple of hours. In general the carvery AND breakfast routine was very disorganised - running out of foods, staff not available to serve (and god help you if you try and serve yourself! One man got a proper ticking off for using a plate from the salad cart for his main meal and only did so because the serving woman had disappeared!). Service definitely doesn't come with a smile, more of a snarl on occasion! If I were to go again, I would definitely choose to eat out.

In summary, it is a good hotel to base yourself from if you are just visiting the area as a tourist and plan to be out all day.... just make sure you take some ear plugs!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

The normal fare on the buffet, is a roast joint, and then two other dishes. I do wish you had spoken to the duty manager, as the chef would gladly have offered an alternative, we often have guests who have dietary requirements and we are happy to offer an alternative.

However, I can assure you that I have taken on board the points raised in the hope that we can ensure there is no repetition of these issues again. My heads of department are keen to improve the business and obviously it is only by listening to constructive comments that we can hope to make things better.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occ

Reviewed January 29, 2011

This hotel appears very grand as you arrive and is very spacious. Lovely reception area and staff were polite and helpful.

The hotel is clean and tidy but very dated. Bedlinen and towels were all spotless and the bathroom was clean. Full size kettle and lots of UHT milk were also good. bed was comfortable and once I worked out how to turn the radiator on, my room was warm.

The bar was busy the evening we arrived, and the restaurant was fully booked, so my colleague and I ate from the bar menu. The food was very disappointing. This was echoed the following morning at breakfast.

The second evening we ate at a very nice pub 2 miles away called the Hare and Hounds 02476 332716 where we had an excellent 2 courses and a couple of drinks for £20 a head.

No Internet access in the room was a problem for me.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Thank you for your comments, I believe that your feed back is honest and balanced and I wish to thank you so much.

I have taken on board the comments you have made and will endeavour to continue to improve standards and service. Chef and I will be looking at new menus shortly.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

we stayed at the royal court hotel twice in 2010 and i am looking forward to going again the staff are very good, attentive, and helpfull, willing to spend time for you and good fun, this i consider is passed down from above because the manager(ess) Heather is always there to help and have a laugh with the customers true some of the rooms need sprucing up and these are in the throws of being done but the food is exellent and location very good.whenever we wanted any thing it was done what more can you ask. By the way ask heather about the dragons!

Kevan

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kevan3

Dear Kevan and Family

Thank you so much for your kind words - we are still working our way through the building and have just completed the upgrade of the Leisure Centre Changing facilities. Work on the rooms continue and now spring is making it way towards us we will start the planting season :-) Look forward to showing you and the family some more of our improvements when you return. Oh and the booklet regarding the house history is almost ready for print.

My very best to you and the family

Reviewed January 24, 2011

This was a leisure trip to see what Coventry had to offer in addition to the cathedral and we weren’t disappointed by the city or the Royal Court Hotel. It is about 10 minutes drive from the city centre set in some lovely grounds and is unaffected by traffic noise with ample free parking.

Welcome on arrival was very good and we found the staff helpful and accommodating throughout our two night stay.

Our room was a standard double and was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed, writing desk and two easy chairs. Wardrobe with trouser press, five channel television and direct telephone line. En-suite facilities included a spa bath with shower over and there was ample hot water. Only disadvantage of the spa bath was the person in the next room using it at 6.30am and the noise reverberates!

We paid just £25pp per night for dinner, bed and breakfast. Dinner was a three course carvery with good choice of starters, main course choice of two meats or fish plus a couple of vegetarian options. Breakfast was buffet style again with ample choices. Overall food was well cooked and plentiful. Bar prices were very reasonable.

Adjoining the hotel is a leisure club with gymnasium and swimming pool, steam room and sauna. Use of the facilities costs £2.50pp per day.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily return to this hotel and to Coventry.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

Dear Taffy

Thank you so much for your review and taking the time to do so. I am so pleased you found our hotel to be an enjoyable place to stay and that you found us to be value for money.

There are some lovely places to visit in and around Coventry, such as Lady Herberts Gardens (better viewed in the spring and Summer) the Priory Visitors centre and Gardens, the Transport Meuseum etc. Should you return to us, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to give you details of these places and a number of others clsoe by.

Look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Court in the near future
Regards

Reviewed January 22, 2011

My wife organised this trip with National coaches for my 50th birthday , So myself my wife and 2 friends stayed at the hotel not knowing what to expect after reading a few reviews . I'm really pleased with every aspect of our 4 day stay , The staff where fantastic especially the kitchen and bar staff .Breakfast was 8-10 and lots to choose from fruit ,cereals , bacon , toast,eggs,you name it and it was there :) Dinner was a selection of beef,pork,turkey or an alternative if you preferred chicken in sauce etc lots of veg and Cake to choose from also .The rooms where cleaned every day . And smithy the d.j kept us well entertained on the evenings .Our tour was all inclusive ,the bar was free from 7.30 - 10.30 the bar staff made us very welcome . To the staff of The royal court hotel !!! Keep up the good work and see you next time .Regards Alan and Lynn Hunter

• Stayed: January 2011
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Dear Alan

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to post them on Trip advisor - we are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay and wish you a very Happy Birthday and many many more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stayed at this hotel now for approx 9 months 3days a week on business and found it to be good value for the money, I have used hotels all over the UK & abroad and after reading the reviews on your hotel all I can say is forget it. You will always find people who pay £40 ish per night expecting THE RITZ, if you want 5 star get your money out you tightarses.Yes OK the walls are a bit thin and the TV should be a flatscreen / freeview but, I have always been made welcome with friendly staff and the menu is sufficient. Now at the end of my stay I would like to thank James / Fiona / Durice? / the always smiling roxy / and of course anna who always makes conversation and makes you feel welcome. I hope to be back in this area in 6 months or so and will see you all again soon. --- --- --- Alan.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank alanjewitt
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Dear Alan

Thank you so much for your positive review and kinds words. The staff mentioned have also asked me to pass on their thanks and to say what a pleasure it was to serve you.

It is always nice to be appreciated for the value for money that we represent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future, for now stay well

Kind regards

Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night. First given room 125, which had a large very cold unheated bathroom, and too much noise from tourist buses, then moved to room 267, which was better. The cistern in 267 had a water-hammer effect loud enough to wake the whole floor. The room was large and comfortable, with a small old crt tv with 4 channels. There was no wifi in the room, but you could get it free in the lounge. Staff were helpful, but overworked. The hotel had wedding parties and many tourist buses, and was a bit noisy on Saturday night. The carvery dinner was poor, but at £12.50 one does not expect much. Breakfast was also poor, with very low grade food.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, which I read with interest and concern. I do feel it is a shame you did not speak to our duty manager or indeed myself or my deputy as we could have resolved any issues and take great care to do so when something is brought to our attention

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.