“Dirty, unsafe, hell hole”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Pontefract, United Kingdom
“Dirty, unsafe, hell hole”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This hotel is dirty, fusty, and stale. On entry to the hotel the reception area is clean we checked in and where given directions to the room. We left reception thinking the staff where helpful we got into the lift that was shabby and smelt stale then I was bit by something that I felt jump on me as we entered the lift. the carpets in the hall ways are held down by black tape. on entry in the room I walked into a cobweb. the kettle had stale water inside the coffee sachets where open. the valance on the bed had something on it I don't want to even think of what it was when I asked for it changing the housekeeping said she could change the duvets and pillows but couldn't change the valance as she didn't know where they where kept. the nets on the windows look like they have never been cleaned although they do hide the window that is worse and growing mould the furniture was thick with dust and the lighting each light had a thick layer of dust on. the bathroom was surprisingly clean but the hot water had no heat regulation and was difficult to use the first time I used the shower I scolded my foot the choice of settings where scolding or freezing not SAFE I had to jump out of the shower and lean in while hot water belted down on me until i managed to turn it off ( I see that this hotel claims to welcome families but if a young child was using this i fear that this heat would cause serious burns) When we complained about the room we did get offered an alternative or the manager would send housekeeping to the room to clean it we had a look at the alternative room it was a lot smaller and smelt worse. I honestly don't know how he managed to offer this room with a straight face I stayed in the hotel out of necessity and will not be using the royal court hotel again I hope this review helps prevent someone entering this hell hole and have notified all my colleagues not to recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mandy056

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Stayed here for a family wedding - so sadly had no choice - you have! With hindsight we should have stayed in the car overnight - at least it would have been cleaner. From arrival the place was in chaos. Dreadful standards of customer service, decor and an ambiance that was well past it's sell-by date. The bedrooms were dirty; the furniture, fitting and carpets were variously broken, stained and needed replacing. This hotel is surely an embarrasment to the Britannia Hotel chain - or are all their hotels like this? We won't be finding out, that's for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jeanconning
Rotherham
Reviewed September 17, 2010

This hotel is dated, unclean and my friends spa bath (which she paid extra for) didn't work. However, none of this is as bad as when I went to bed. I got in before my partner to read for a while, and when he came to bed and pulled back the covers we discovered the underside of the duvet cover was splatterd with blood. The blood didn't come fom either of use so needless to say we were absolutley disgusted and I actually felt physically sick. The night porter was really good and moved us straight away, however since then I have had lots of trouble getting recompnsation and so far have still not recieved anything.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeamLister
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I am wondering if I stayed at the same hotel as other reviewers! My friend and I were very concerned about what to expect after reading so many really bad reviews so we were very pleasantly suprised at what we found..
The hotel looke quite good from the outside and has some pleasant grounds. The reception area was very clean and spacious if a little dated. Reception staff were helpful and friendly and we were upgraded to a spa room at no extra cost. We found the room to be perfectly adequate, it was clean and the beds were comfortable. Despite the hotel being very busy with weddings and reunions we slept well on both nights.
The food was good although the menu was a little limited. Both the restaurant and bar staff wre very attentive and worked hard.to ensure everyone was served as speedily as possible.
We used the spa facilities which whilst not luxurious was still enjoyable and the treatments in the salon were excellent value for money.
Overall we had a very good time, it is not 5 star but then we did not pay 5 star money. I just don't know what people expect. The highlight for us was the charming hard working staff who did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank BabsM_101
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Just needed to do a review on this Hotel so no one else is as disappointed as us. We were attending a friends wedding in the evening and thought it a good idea to have the afternoon to wind-down in the Spindles and have a rare drink together and enjoy the night. The first room was terrible broken bathroom tiles , broken wooden toilet seat dirty net curtains and very smelly. Was given another room which was a little cleaner but smelt of old dust and minging smoke. Moved to another room which was supposed to be a suite which was ok but the spa bath was filthy and had orange jelly stuff in and arround the jets. Having moved our things three times we needed the Spindles to wind down but the leisure bit was not going to change any of that.. You have pay for the towels 2 out of showers in ladies not working and the floor was disgusting all in all not a pleasant exprerience. Have emailed the Hotel and awaiting a response.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matt_downes
UK
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Pleasant grounds
Plenty of car parking
Reception staff were good.
Staff were friendly
Busy Hotel - large wedding parties and other functions all going on at the same time.
Wine expensive and not very good - beer pricees were reasonable
Food at the function we attended was very poor - over cooked, not very tasteful and disappointing - they could and should do alot better!
Room was satisfactotory but is overdue a deep clean and a bit of decorative TLC! Bed was comfortable with decent bedding/pillows - lots of hot water and good shower/large bath. Some of the hall/corridor carpets are very dated and past their best!
Lots more noise than you would expect from adjoining rooms, you could hear every cough, conversations spoken at normal levels and other generated noise such as water running in baths/showers and the toilet being flushed at all hours from adjoining rooms!!!

A large busy hotel which suited our purpose, could due with some freshining up but the place works well for those attending large functions. Shame about the poor food which was just not good enough and really let the hotel down.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Crossford
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Lovely surroundings greet you as you arrive at this hotel, inside a bit shabby but on the whole clean. Checking in as part of a coach party I was pleased that it was done efficiently. Room again was a bit shabby but clean. At dinner we were put in a function suite, carvery was very repetitive for four nights with not very much choice, some of the vegetables were also over cooked. As another party were in half an hour before us the sweets were running out very quickly as not being replenished very well, they were also getting very messy.Breakfast was chaotic as not enough space. Staff need some PR training as very little interaction with guests made them seem unfriendly.

• Stayed September 2010