“Couldn't wish for anything better for an event”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have used the royal court hotel for an annual event since 2008. The hotel suits our needs the staff can't be anymore helpful and things couldn't be better.

The food is always amazing and our guest of which there are at least between 150 and 200 get served without delay.

We never have a bad experience at the hotel and the service from Angie and the rest of the staff is always top notch.

Even breakfast suits our guests as it's eat as much as you want.

The hotel us what you make it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sharon362
There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We booked into the Royal Court Hotel due to minimal availability at other hotels within Coventry. The hotel is located within the residential areas and most guests seem to drive to the hotel in order to get there. On arrival, the exterior of the hotel and the parking area is not well lit and gave me a "haunted feel" about the hotel.

At the reception desk, you can tell that the hotel is old fashioned and dated. Check in was much longer because there was a queue and the receptionist were chatting between themselves more than dealing with the guests. Once checked in, we went to our respective rooms and 2 of us got the smoking room even though neither of us smoked. The receptionist also never mentioned it to us that we were given smoking rooms so we were not impressed when we stepped out of the lift to be engulfed by the musky stale smoke smell which overtook the entire floor. As soon as I entered my room, the smell was even stronger and unbearable. I looked around the room and bathroom to find dusty sheets & covers and a bathroom that was still dirty from the last guest. I immediately went downstairs to the reception desk to ask for a non-smoking room.

The non smoking rooms were much bigger and a great relief that it did not smell of smoke but there was the same stale/old furniture smell. Bathroom was still slightly dusty and needed a clean but was much better than my previous room. There was an old box TV which had no channels but there was free Wifi throughout the hotel so that was a life saver. The room only had a small central heating which took a few hours to heat up the entire room. The ceiling also had several scratch/dent marks which were uncovered.

I did not have high expectations for this hotel but I was extremely disappointed with the cleanliness of the hotel and also the lack of information communicated to the guest upon check in. The receptionist should have told their guests if they were staying in a smoking room or given them the option to choose. I would not return to this hotel or recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms are much bigger and cleaner
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank klkh1
Reviewed January 26, 2014

just stayed at this hotel Saturday the 25 to the 26 of January 2014.we went on a groupon offer and for the price £45:00 we thought was reasonable ,we were wrong, it was cheep at half the price, as the saying goes, the reception I thought was very grand, and the usual smile from the staff at reception "maybe its just me, but I cant say that any break I've been on have I been received with negative attitude " they took the usual info of name car reg etc., we were told what was on the offer , witch was bed breakfast and evening meal, and a bottle of house wine. we were in room 362 witch is a good size and had the usual tea coffee toiletries etc., with the bonus of a bath with power jets, so I knew I was having ,a bath before dinner . even though there is signs that the hotel could do with a handy man to tidy a few bits and bobs it is a nice place and I've definitely stayed at worse for a lot more money. on to the evening meal. it was a set menu with the option of salad or soup for starter, and the main is carvery followed by a choice of cake,cheescake etc. A bottle of wine later I left the restaurant a very full and happy man. on the down side witch has no reflection on this hotel is the foolish man witch I would say was a little worse for wear and was shouting the odds in a very colourful language at around two in the morning and waking other guests, and also cracked the glass in the second floors fire door. witch was the topic of conversation over breakfast, witch again was of a good standard, and no restriction on how high you piled your plate, I had to limit myself as we were eating in Coventry later that afternoon , we also made use of the swimming pool and Jacuzzi, and there is also a gym steam room and sauna . all in all a good time was had and it made for a very nice birthday treat from my wife.

1  Thank longmanwink
Reviewed January 24, 2014

First of all, the rooms are extremely dated, carpet missing, tiles off the wall and a big old TV that only shows half a picture. The shower is a lucky dip as in dip your body in whilst its hot before it freezes again. Nothing about this hotel shouts quality and every element is poorly presented. The main bar area is badly designed and looks dated and although has plug sockets in the wall were you may want to use a laptop or charge your phone, not many of them work. The best advise for this hotel is avoid at all costs. I won't be booking this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MarkPocock
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Having made a last minute booking at this hotel we were not expecting much. The room was only £32 for a double with Jacuzzi bath en suite. The room was clean and tidy. View from 462 was overlooking the gym and towards the carpark. Bath was hot and bubbly and very good, only downside was no bath rail to help you get out. Very good value for money.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnDan64
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Visited this hotel as part of a cheap coach package. Check-in was very quick. Room and bathroom were large. Bathroom cold as heated towel didn't work properly. Bath etc were dark brown - not seen this colour in decades. Bedroom was freezing as heating hadn't been switched on, warmed up after several hours. Beds were not fitted with valances, made it look very tacky. Furniture very old fashioned, cleaning not up to standard. Food was very average and uninspiring. Nowhere in local vicinity to go for a drink.

1  Thank HolsGlossop
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I recently visited this hotel using our Groupon Deal. It was worth the cost of the voucher and we really enjoyed our stay. We paid a little extra for an upgrade to a superior room (that gave us a spa bath, very nice)The Dinner and Breakfast were both Buffet Style. The Evening Meal was a 'help yourself' Starter, Vegetables and Dessert Course Basis' with the Chef carving the Meats of the Day. For me the Salmon in a Cream Sauce was lovely. Breakfast was a delight and I was very pleased to see that 'Tinned Tomatoes' (lots of Tomato Juice) were on the menu. (I get so tired of seeing half grilled tomatoes on breakfast buffets).The staff were very pleasant and they all looked after us well. The leisure facilities were visible to us from our window and looked good enough to use (although we did not on this occasion) One criticism though we would make is that there was no 'wall mounted grab-rail' above the bath. This made it difficult for me to safely get out of the bath without fear of slipping over. The only thing to catch hold of was the actual shower rail above which would easily have come down if I had slipped. Perhaps the hotel could take note of this as us 'more mature residents don't so easily jump in and out of baths like we used to. Apart from that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would have no hesitation in returning in the future.

1  Thank Michael M