“Excellent Hotel !!”

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
bexhill
“Excellent Hotel !!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had read terrible reports of this hotel but as ir was very reasionably priced and we only neede a one night stay we risked it.
The Hotel is beautifully situated, although could be difficult to find without a Sat-Nav.
The receptionist was extremely helpful and we were soon in our room which was spotless. The bathroom had a jacuuzzi and I was soon enjoying a hot relaxing bath.
The bar area was quite full but not in the least rowdy and people appeared to be enjoying the experience.
Two coachloads of mature travellers were staying the night and they were very forthcoming in their praise for the hotel and staff.
The breakfast was the usual buffet affair but ha d delicousies such as "black pudding" the staff were very helpfull and contributed to our enjoyment.
I am at a loss to see how people could not be impressed by this hotel, especially considering the price. I would certainly stay there again when next in the area and would recommend it unconditionally to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank russell n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I travel a lot for work but have only ever reviewed hotels I stay in for pleasure. Most business trips are to similar hotels and they are all a similar good standard. And then I ended up here.........................

I regularly stay near our Coventry office but this was a last minute booking and all my usuals were full. At that point I would have been better to decide to drive the extra 300 miles to go home and come back again in the mroning, sadly I thought to myself 'it can't be that bad can it'.

If I was a member of the management team at this hotel I would be hanging my head in shame. They either have no concept of the experience of their customers or they just don't care. I really don't know which it is.

The first room I was given was a real joke and after standing in the room for 5 minutes just feeling dirty for being there, surrounded by mould, dirt etc I went back to reception and asked for another room. The reception huffed and puffed and rolled his eyes and then gave me another key and told to 'go and see if that is any better'. When I asked him if he thought the room was any better he just shrugged and left me to it.

It was better than the first, couldn't really be any worse, so I took it.

We ordered room service as it was late when my colleague arrived. It took ages and was very cold when it arrived. By this stage I couldn't be bothere to complain and to be honest, all they'd probably do is put it back in the microwave it came out of.

Breakfast was of a similar standard.

The whole hotel is in desperate need of a good clean and tidy up. Everything looks shabby, dirty and unloved.

I shall certainly never stay here again and if this is what can be expected from a Britannia hotel, I'll never use any others either. Thank goodness there are other hotels out there that do care about their customers experience and do manage to look after their hotels with care and spend money when it's needed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank northerngirl121

Travelers are raving about these Coventry hotels

uk
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am surprised by all of the poor reviews about this hotel. We booked last minute for a business trip £34 per head for dinner, bed and breakfast and were pleasantly surprised. Huge room, lovely and warm, clean bedding and bathroom and a fab shower. It was a smoking room but you would not have known if you hadn't requested. Reception was busy but efficient with nice staff. Buffet dinner was good and breakfast very good and the staff were again very efficient. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ordinarily we would not consider staying at a hotel that offered DBB incl a bottle of wine for only £25 per head, but we were desperate to get a room for the one night, very last minute (snow meant an unplanned stay) and everywhere else was booked up.

Well, I knew it wasn't going to be 4 star, but we were welcomed at reception by a guest swearing at the poor receptionist (not her fault) about the terrible quality of the food, saying it was inedible. Turns out he was spot on - more on this later.

Let's start with the positives... The room was clean and reasonably warm (I hate hot stuffy rooms, so for some it may have been a bit cool). Bedding was clean & fresh. The bathroom was very clean and tidy, and there was loads of hot water. The wine was actually not too bad either! The bar was reasonably priced! And breakfast was OK - edible at any rate, I suppose that there is not much damage you can do to tinned tomatoes,tinned mushrooms and toast...

And so to the negatives. I think that a previous guest had taken out his disappointment on the fabric of the room - the door handle was nearly falling off, and required a locksmith's skills to get the key to work. On entry, we noticed that a large chunk of wood had been split away from the back of the door, and that the security bolt was missing. The handles on the bath had come away and were rattling around. The shower had been pulled from the wall, and I was unable to divert any water to the shower from the taps. Still, the bath was relaxing although typically short....

And the worst aspect - the food was totally awful, and I wonder whether it was actually safe, given the apparent fact that it had been lying around for a while and was cold/tepid. I decided to avoid what was on offer, and thought myself lucky to discover from another slightly shocked guest that some shepherds pie was on the way. Hurrah, I thought, there's not much damage you can do to shepherds pie... How wrong I was. Basically, it was some indeterminate minced meat (probably beef?) that had been fried up with some tinned peas and sweetcorn, swimming in its own fat, with triangles of fried white bread on the top. It was truly awful. However, I forced it down with the help of some packet-style gravy plus some watery tasteless swede. My wife & daughter tried the sweet & sour pork - massive mistake. Pork tasted a bit suspect and had the consistency of cardboard, and the orangey sauce was neither sweet nor sour - I suppose it went quite well with the soap flavoured rice.. It all went in the bin (I hope). Had some extra soup & bread instead, soup was suprisingly pleasant but the bread was tasteless white and heavily processed. My wife was the only one to risk a pudding as she was still hungry, but one mouthful changed her mind, she resorted to crisps from the vending machine. Had it not been snowing, we'd probably have gone down to the local chippie...

The morning dawned with some more snow having fallen. After the OK breakfast we skated down to the car park, where one man with a shovel was desperately trying to remove the snow from the inch-thick ice, as guests slid and fell around us, and vehicles slid gracefully into each other - not good if the vehicle happens to be a frighteningly great big coach. Health and safety would have a field day to say nothing of the no claim no fee solicitors. Have they not heard of the new anti ice/snow technology called grit and rock salt? I believe it may have been around for, oooh, thousands of years.

All in all, the senior management of this hotel should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and it appears that they have basically given up (despite the slightly desperate adverts for their sister hotels in e.g. Blackpool). The customer-facing staff were nice, friendly and polite (and we felt incredibly sorry for them having to face what we believe would be the inevitable complaints day in day out), but clearly had no authority to enable them to resolve the deep and probably long-standing problems. As for the kitchen staff... well. being able to cook would be a good idea.

Cheap and cheerful is okay but this was definitely not cheerful!

Would I go there again? Er, no. Would I recommend anyone else try it, Er, no again, save your money for somewhere else, anywhere else!!

Room Tip: Find an alternative hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank William C
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Such a shame, this no doubt once lovely hotel is on its way out.
Staying away at least 10 nights in an average month on business and very rarely giving feedback, I feel I must put fingers to keypad and warn you.
Arrival at peak time, 1 receptionist and 4 of us checking in...in took 20 minutes, not helped by the drunk contractor swearing at the counter, and the unsupported receptionist seeming unable to ask for help as NOBODY else around. Room was in need of a make over, jaded and tired furniture, bad lighting, and just very tired. Also the room was freezing, but we turned the radiator on and went for dinner,a carvery which was OK.
Went back to our room, it as still freezing, and phoned reception asking for assistance. No joy as maintenance had gone home at 5pm, and we would have to wait till the morning. No electric fires offered as against health and safety apparently. Decided to get into bed, to find pubic hair and skin all over the bottom sheet, which clearly had not been changed from previous guest with a skin complaint. Phoned again to reception, passed to duty manager, only told that I would have to contact GM in the morning., but I asked for the GM to contact me as was at hotel for trade show the following day. But quests what...nobody bothered. Complained on checkout, and again asked for any type of manager to come to see me at trade show,,,but yet again nobody bothered.
So, please, find somewhere else to stay, it's a shame when the local Premier Inn or similar would be cleaner room and better service. Leave well alone !

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nik P
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We (myself and 5 colleagues) were looking for a cheap and cheerful option to stay prior to a meeting the following morning.At £29.00 a room including breakfast we were realistic about the standard expected.In some areas that standard was exceeded in others it wasn't.The hotel was full of elderly coach parties so we were asked to change our dinner reservation to 20.00 from 19.30 so they could accomodate them.Not a problem but they ate ALL the food.Due to the company we had a chuckle and ordered food from the bar.This was again inexpensive but unfortunately inedible.Breakfast was pretty awful too-both in quality and in organisation.One of the bars (next to the main dining area) smells very funny too.Like an empty zoo perhaps.On a positive note rooms were spacious and clean and some of the staff were helpful and friendly.Others were like the extras in "Dawn of the dead" and all seemed to be wearing someone elses uniform.In summary if you are looking for budget accomodation it's fine but eat in the nearby village.

Room Tip: Any room without food in it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Alan C
Banbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My lovely lady proposed to me, I said yes, she was happy but due to the hotel not listening and not following her specific requirements, her wonderful day caused her stress as well. We had been here before and she expected that wow factor but it did not happen, management blamed other problems for her requirements not being fulfilled and gave the impression that they do not care about customers thoughts when they replied to two of her complaints letters, (one apparently went missing). We will never return here again, we will not recommend this hotel anymore and it is quite possible my lady would have chosen this hotel for the wedding. If they cannot get the little things right, what chance the big things

Room Tip: the old house rooms are not as good as they make them out to be, the new part rooms are better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple