“No complaints”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Shrewsbury
“No complaints”
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Hotel was booked for me due to attending an event nearby. I looked up reviews on Trip Advisor and was apprehsive about staying here but can honestly say that I did not encounter any problems. On arrival, the staff were helpful, my room was clean and spacious and my bathroom had a jacuzzi bath. My only negative comment would be that the mattress on the bed was hard! When I went down for my evening meal, I found that the bar and waiting staff were extremely polite and the meal first class. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Winchester
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I was angered and embarrassed by the attitude of the staff which clearly reflects the attitude of the hotel management. Their only concern was to ensure they got their money and the staff were prepared to embarrass their guests in order to ensure this.

Both my brother-in-law, who was celebrating his 50th birthday with my sister, and I were appalled by the determination of the staff to ensure that our ability to purchase food and drink had been 'authorised' beforehand., and they did not care what embarrassment they caused.

To add insult to injury, after our celebration meal, which was of mediocre standard, I personally had to negotiate with the staff to get coffee and tea served to us in the lounge outside the restaurant.

Peter Russell

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank PeterR1
ANDREWWOODS, Sales Executive at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, April 9, 2008
I am always dissappointed when we get negative reviews here on trip advisor but so other trip advisor members are aware Mr Russell ate in our Carver restaurant on saturday lunchtime at the price of £6 per person for a three cource lunch and did not make any mention of his dissapointment to any of the staff on the day
A typical lunchtime menu consists of a choice of 3 starters ,3 meats a fish dish and a vegetarian option along with a choice of desserts
As i think all members will agree this is offers outstanding value for money !
Thats not all we also between the hours of 11.30 am and 2pm have reduced prices on the bar
As you can all gather from the information i have given this proves very popular with all our guests
BUT due to this we ask all guests to pay for ther meals before they are seated at the bar which has never proved to be an issue and being as it only costs £6 per person this as far as i am aware has not caused any embarrassment to any guests apart from Mr Russell and for that all the staff wish to send their apologys
Coffee is not included in this price and would also have to be purchaced from the bar
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2008

What a mess! I booked online for 26/03-27/03, room, dinner £8.75 and leisure £5. I arrived tired 7.30pm, the reception desk was empty ( why? ), I said hello hello, and a lady came out, not friendly at all. She couldnt find my booking, asked for reference which I gave her . She snapped Thats no good I need six digits! then she found me and said BB one night, I said what about dinner and leisure-"Oh nothing here about dinner" But I booked it, its on the reference. DID U PRINT IT? No, it was booked late last night and had no time to print it. YOu ar e only booked for B&B! So I filled in form and went to room, opened my laptop, went to email and downloaded the booking- went back to reception and showed the receptionist the screen. She STILL didnt believe me!! Said oh you have to prepay to get that rate-. I said NO at bottom it says credit card only needed to guarantee. She looked, shrugged her shoulders and said- YOu need to print it! I said How? She said I DONT KNOW,,you have to show that when you check out! So I said do I get dinner for £8.75? She said I dont Know and walked away!!
Then I also reminded her I was entitled to a free bottle of wine, it took her 5 mins to find a voucher.....which was not offered at check in!
Room recently redecorated and not bad, toiletries okay, but matress very thin and uncomfy and bed cover stained. Resturant food and staff okay. Wi-Fi FREE in reception area.
In the morning at check-out I took my laptop and showed the man on duty- the training manager I think, he said yes thats fine and asked a lady to do it, so she did finally at internet booking agreed price. When I checked bill, additional £3.75 was added for drinks, I said - whats this? She checked through reciepts, found my wine voucher chitty with my signature, and another voucher with a totally different name and signature but my room number. I said, look-its obvious its not me, the names and signatures are totally different! OH - give me your card back! No SORRY !!!!!
Probably will not use this Hotel again, this is fourth time
I have used it and the rooms vary so much, some are old, basic and unpleasant- I always pay the extra £5 for the leisure facilities - which has big pool but old and usually full of rowdy, unfriendly young guys- the gents changing room is not a friendly place and dirty, showers have no gel or soap.
Last 2 times has been problems at check-in or check-out, time to find somewhere else when I am on business in that area me thinks!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
davenjudy
Reviewed April 3, 2008

what a bargain i booked the hotel for a weekend break to see relative in coventry £59 a night including a bottle of wine !! and having read a few of the reviews i wasnt expecting much to be honest but from the moment i arrived i was greeted by nice pleasent and well mannered staff who looked after me from start to finish my room had a spa bath an unexpected bonus and the food was ok too nice breakfast /carvery dinner and to add to that they have a decent lesuire centre with a nice pool looking forward to my next stay

• Liked — the staff and the price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a conference. This hotel is definitely past its sell by and in need of radical refurbishing. Rooms are shabby and dirty; black mould around the bath; drab furnishings; stained bedcovers; cheap toiletries; minimal refreshments in room; no minibar; no iron; mattress sunk in the middle; smells of mould; no wireless or broadband access in rooms. Main rooms where conference held smells of stale food. Ordered breakfast in room – arrived late, cold and not what I ordered. Hotel says they are 5 mins from Coventry train station – 25 mins in cab, cost £10. Avoid this hotel if you can and or stay at a Travelodge – you will get better value for your money.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank avidtraveller57
Surrey
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I have just returned from a conference at the Royal Court Hotel in Coventry. My experience was so bad that I feel I have to warn others. I had no choice but to stay at this hotel because of the conference but I cannot understand why it was ever selected for the event. The decor in the reception area, the conference rooms and my bedroom was very dated and shabby. I could have lived with that but the hotel was very dirty throughout including my bedroom and bathroom - and I find that unacceptable. Most of my fellow delegates had complaints and some had changed bedrooms 3 times. The food is bad - it all tasted cheap and nasty. My room was a good size but other than that there is nothing positive I can say about the place. Do yourself a favour and do not stay here.

• Liked — Ease of departure
  • Disliked — The dirt
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business