“Awful, rude check-in, mistakes at check out!”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed April 5, 2008

What a mess! I booked online for 26/03-27/03, room, dinner £8.75 and leisure £5. I arrived tired 7.30pm, the reception desk was empty ( why? ), I said hello hello, and a lady came out, not friendly at all. She couldnt find my booking, asked for reference which I gave her . She snapped Thats no good I need six digits! then she found me and said BB one night, I said what about dinner and leisure-"Oh nothing here about dinner" But I booked it, its on the reference. DID U PRINT IT? No, it was booked late last night and had no time to print it. YOu ar e only booked for B&B! So I filled in form and went to room, opened my laptop, went to email and downloaded the booking- went back to reception and showed the receptionist the screen. She STILL didnt believe me!! Said oh you have to prepay to get that rate-. I said NO at bottom it says credit card only needed to guarantee. She looked, shrugged her shoulders and said- YOu need to print it! I said How? She said I DONT KNOW,,you have to show that when you check out! So I said do I get dinner for £8.75? She said I dont Know and walked away!!
Then I also reminded her I was entitled to a free bottle of wine, it took her 5 mins to find a voucher.....which was not offered at check in!
Room recently redecorated and not bad, toiletries okay, but matress very thin and uncomfy and bed cover stained. Resturant food and staff okay. Wi-Fi FREE in reception area.
In the morning at check-out I took my laptop and showed the man on duty- the training manager I think, he said yes thats fine and asked a lady to do it, so she did finally at internet booking agreed price. When I checked bill, additional £3.75 was added for drinks, I said - whats this? She checked through reciepts, found my wine voucher chitty with my signature, and another voucher with a totally different name and signature but my room number. I said, look-its obvious its not me, the names and signatures are totally different! OH - give me your card back! No SORRY !!!!!
Probably will not use this Hotel again, this is fourth time
I have used it and the rooms vary so much, some are old, basic and unpleasant- I always pay the extra £5 for the leisure facilities - which has big pool but old and usually full of rowdy, unfriendly young guys- the gents changing room is not a friendly place and dirty, showers have no gel or soap.
Last 2 times has been problems at check-in or check-out, time to find somewhere else when I am on business in that area me thinks!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed April 3, 2008

what a bargain i booked the hotel for a weekend break to see relative in coventry £59 a night including a bottle of wine !! and having read a few of the reviews i wasnt expecting much to be honest but from the moment i arrived i was greeted by nice pleasent and well mannered staff who looked after me from start to finish my room had a spa bath an unexpected bonus and the food was ok too nice breakfast /carvery dinner and to add to that they have a decent lesuire centre with a nice pool looking forward to my next stay

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a conference. This hotel is definitely past its sell by and in need of radical refurbishing. Rooms are shabby and dirty; black mould around the bath; drab furnishings; stained bedcovers; cheap toiletries; minimal refreshments in room; no minibar; no iron; mattress sunk in the middle; smells of mould; no wireless or broadband access in rooms. Main rooms where conference held smells of stale food. Ordered breakfast in room – arrived late, cold and not what I ordered. Hotel says they are 5 mins from Coventry train station – 25 mins in cab, cost £10. Avoid this hotel if you can and or stay at a Travelodge – you will get better value for your money.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank avidtraveller57
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I have just returned from a conference at the Royal Court Hotel in Coventry. My experience was so bad that I feel I have to warn others. I had no choice but to stay at this hotel because of the conference but I cannot understand why it was ever selected for the event. The decor in the reception area, the conference rooms and my bedroom was very dated and shabby. I could have lived with that but the hotel was very dirty throughout including my bedroom and bathroom - and I find that unacceptable. Most of my fellow delegates had complaints and some had changed bedrooms 3 times. The food is bad - it all tasted cheap and nasty. My room was a good size but other than that there is nothing positive I can say about the place. Do yourself a favour and do not stay here.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RayBadger