“Cheap room but tired hotel”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I last visited the Royal Court back in the late 80's but recently chose to stay the night because of a good deal on the room. My first impression as I walked from the car to reception was that it looked some what tired and dated. I found my room pretty much the same - dated and in need of a refresh/update. Initially it smelt musty so I had to open the windows, this did cure it. However the room was clean, servicable and good value for the price paid. I was disapointed that the bathroom had no shower but again was not going to complain for one nights stay. Again the bath room was rather dated but servicable. Unfortunately I could not use the wifi as the signal was too low.

I could not fault the service and the staff I encountered, and the breakfast that I ate the next day. I can't comment on the rest of the food but a chap was having a bar snack next to me and it looked and smelt good. Again the furniture/decor let the bar down as some seats were ripped and looking very tired.

I didn't get chance to use the leisure facilities but the looked reasonable.

I would say that it was overall good value but is being let down by the dated furniture/decor. It appears to not have any money invested in it since the 80's. I would stay again but only for the right price. I would also make sure I had a shower in the bathroom room too.

Room Tip: Make sure the room has a shower.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IAMJellyhead
There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed SUN to FRIDAY 14th to 19th October 2012 to go to the caravan exhibition and visit relatives locally. We read the reviews and went with trepidation. First comment was - well they must have been talking about a different hotel to where we were!!!!!!!! Staff very friendly. We asked to look at the room before we got our cases, no problem. Room was large, clean, warm so no problems. Evening meal was a surprise - (after the reviews) starched white table cloths and napkins, Soup, salads, 4 choices for main course - I liked all choices- selection of gateaux and 1 hot sweet. Table reserved for us every night at 7,00 pm. NO PROBLEMS.
We enjoyed the swimming pool and spa.
ALL INCLUDED IN OUR PACKAGE OF £99. for 5 nights each DBB.
There was plenty of tea and coffee provided in the room.
The decorators were painting the corridoors and we felt sorry for them only because it was like the forth bridge and never ending.

Needless to saw we have booked again - these people who complain are not paying 5* prices. For £20 a night it was excellent value. We have always found that genuine problems at the 6 Britannia Hotels we have stayed in have been dealt with swiftly by the management. i.e. more pillows, blankets, tv aerial problem ( reported at 10.15pm sorted by 10.35 pm yes at Coventry.)

Yes there were some decor issues, some parts were a little shabby, but the atmosphere was great, nothing was too much trouble for the staff/cleaners/painters, a very reasonably priced middle of the road hotel. We were not on a coach party.

Room Tip: We were in the 200's.
2  Thank christine B
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Kate & I arrived on the friday late afternoon for a Veterans Reunion Weekend & were welcomed by our Wonderful Shirly & the Boys from the NMBVA team . On being allocated to our room we went up in the lift & noted that the lift is still in need of a bit of TLC since our last visit a year ago. Entering our room we noticed that a small shelf above the radiator was lying at an angle having come off the wall at one end, this I duly reported. The chairs in the bar area were also looking the worse for wear however the settee's/sofa's on entering the hotel have been sorted & are very smart & comfortable.
The food this time was very good, Plentiful & hot although the service at our gala night dinner left a lot to be desired, 11 tables & we were 11th & by th time we received our courses table one were waiting for their next one.
I will give 5 stars to the Resturant Manger & her staff they were brilliant as were our breakfasts which were self service but the kitchen staff just kept it coming. Well Done.
See you next year but please, spruce up this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

After reading the terrible reviews for this hotel I have to say I was slightly worried. We were booked on a National Holiday so could do nothing about it! The entry hall/area of the hotel is all marble & leather sofa's & very impressive. Our room was a pleasant suprise, quite large all the usual furniture, bed was ok, definately had worse, bathroom could have beem cleaner but that's me being very picky, the spa bath worked fine. Throughout the hotel I found NO evidence of the stinking carpets I read about. The food was good, plenty choice & ven having our eve meal at 7.30 it was always fresh. The staff were always extremely polite & friendly both in restaurant & reception. I asked for another pillow & it arrived within the time we ate a meal. We did comment to the staff what a nice sprise we had after reading bad reviews & they said they had had a change after complaints received, if this is so the changes have worked. THe spa/leisure complex absolutely brilliant, fully equiped gym, great swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna & steam room all used by local members. Jannette (Bradford)

5  Thank netty28661
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went to the dive show at the NEC at the weekend and found this hotel useful as it was just seven miles away from the NEC. We just stayed for one night - Saturday night.

I have stayed in hotels all over the world with my job - including plenty of lousy ones. I think some of the reviews on here for the Royal Court are very harsh. This hotel was fantastic value for money - £47 B&B by booking late directly with Britannia website. For a brand-name hotel with onsite pool and spa - that was a good deal.

Check in was fast and efficient. There are some two impressive bar areas, one overlooking the grounds and one overlooking the indoor pool.

The room was fine, yes some of the furniture was a little tired, but it was spotlessly clean. There was huge jacuzzi bath with central taps - almost a metre wide. For all those reviews complaining that the jacuzzi does not work - you just need to fill the bath before the Jacuzzi will work - they have a pressure sensor.

We never ate in the evening at the hotel, as we chose to go out for a curry in Coventry. There was a wedding still going on when we got back at about 11pm - but we never heard any noise from the room. We were in room 455 on the top floor of one of the extension blocks.

Breakfast was fine, a good choice of cereals and fruits, and a hot buffet included all the expected choices. The white haired lady waiting and clearing the tables was working very hard - I thought she deserved a medal.

We checked out of our room at 11am and then went into the spa for a couple of hours, for which we were charged an additional £4 each for a day pass. You can borrow a towel for another £1. We thought this was good value for use of a steam room, jacuzzi, sauna, and pool. Yes the locker room is a little tired, but it is bleach clean - and offers secure lockers for a refundable £1 deposit. The brand new power showers were great too.

Overall I thought this place offered fantastic value for money at £55 B&B including the spa entry. We could not find fault with anything during our stay. Give this place a chance - it is not anywhere near as bad as the reviews on here make out.

2  Thank Howclough
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We recently spent a five day dancing holiday at the Royal Court Hotel Coventry, the rooms were clean, and warm,and the dance instructors were friendly and provided an excellent program.However the food and service in the dining room left a lot to be desired. We definitely will not be returning to this hotel.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel, it is quite a way out of Coventry. Whilst the grounds are quite lovely, with very good spaces for cars parking etc, the hotel itself is very shabby and in serious need of an upgrade. Also they need to look at their menus, although the hotel had been informed of the fact that I have a diet restriction, (coeliac disease, I.B.S.) they did not cater for this and the food choice was horrendous. On another point you cannot order a morning paper of your choice, you have to walk about half a mile down to the little shop at the Garage.

Room Tip: Sorry unable to do this.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business