“The restaurant staff need training”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We ate in the restaurant, Sunday lunch. Walked into the bar area, There must have been a spillage somewhere, as there was a incredibly bad smell of disinfectant.
We were shown to our table, then within minutes we were asked for our food order, we were not asked about a drinks. We asked what the soup was, the waitress didn't know so had to go to the kitchen, when she returned we asked what the veggie meal was, the waitress didn't know. All in all the food was fine, service was not at all good. I know Sunday lunch is a busy time, but please brief your staff as to what the specials are. Parking was also a nightmare, as there was a wedding fare on. And one other very strange thing, there were cooking oil plastic drums scattered around the grounds, why ? Coud be a fantastic venue, but really needs attention.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Paulnut10
There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I felt it necessary to write about this hotel as I feel it has received some bad reviews and in my experience it warrants anything but.

My friend and I paid a total of £120 for 2 nights of dinner, bed and breakfast plus a bottle of wine. £20 of that was to use the gym, pool and spa during our stay.

Yes the hotel is dated and in need of modernisation but it was clean and the rooms were a good size and the staff were ever so helpful and friendly.

The evening meal was a 3 course with a carvery as a main each night. the 2 nights we were there it was different veg and meats. I am a vegetarian and was very impressed with the alternative option for me.

I think if you go with the view " you get what you pay for " you will be very pleasantly surprised.

This for my friend and I was more then value for money and nice just to get away from it all.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elb1972
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 day stay at this former stately home and found it charming and quaint. It is in need of some TLC in certain places but overall I'm sure it is in safe hands with the Britannia group who do a grand job of trying to preserve these national treasures for future generations and who seem to be criticised unfairly at times by over zealous guests who don't want to pay top dollar prices but moan about service at these honest establishments. The food was excellent value for money and the staff were friendly and helpful. The Gym, pool,spa and steam room were wonderful and extremely good value with very helpful attendants to assist. All in all I will return in the future. I was disappointed to find that previous guests mistreated there rooms which makes it difficult and costly to repair before other guests arrive.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HonestJohn87
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The experience I had led me to give a harsh but realistic review. When you walk in you are surprised about the beauty of the foyer. However, it got bad with the check-in: one person serving guests and 10 people queing. Booked a non-smoking room and they wanted to put me into smokers room. The room is very dated, partly run down and unfortunately smelly. In the corridors one can find used and old towles on the floor. Wi-Fi works poorely, telly is from the past century. I think the pool and gym is good as it is very much used. Breakfast is ok, serving cooked english but with 5 guests eating and 5 staff serving, it was a joke. The only reason for giving two stars is the cheap price. £35 for B&B. Would I stay there again? Not, if I can help it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ulrike_Christian
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This hotel was used by me during a business trip and offers a special rate to the company that I work for, it was not my first choice, in fact would have been my last, had it not been for the fact all others were booked this particular night, this is the reason why I stayed there. However, I do expect a certain standard, which this fell well below. The decor and ambiance was less classy in fact than Fawlty Towers and I felt like I had stepped back to the 1850's.. I suspect this was probably the last time it was decorated etc. My 1st room, I decided to reject since the shower simply crumbled and fell apart when touched, something which a member of staff had to verify (!!) and then she suggested to me that perhaps we get someone to look at, I suggested I simply be given another room instead. My suggestion was accepted. In my 2nd room, which was a non smoking room, I decided to overlook the overhelming smell of Lavander by Yardley, since it is simply not to my taste, me being under the age of 75 and all. I did however, feel very objectionable to the smell of cigarettes which pervaded the room. I also wasnt very keen on the fact that some of the lighting was broken, the windows were damaged and wouldnt shut and the radiator was leaking cold water all over the carpet all the time. Having a throat infection and generally not feeling too great, not suprisingly, I didnt really enjoy the experience of the cold carpet combined with the open window all night. And I certainly didnt feel very special on the 'special rate' of £109/night!!! I forget to mention also the campbed style bed with springs sticking through it, which though I suspect was clean, I didnt feel much like getting under the sheets of, given the other delights the room had to offer me. And the fact that evertime anyone next door, up or down had a bath or shower, it was like listening to an aeroplane take off. Frankly, Id have preferred sleeping in the car to this hotel and hope I never have the misfortune to stay here again. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Find another hotel??
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hilary T
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have never posted on TA before as, working in hospitality I find it very inaccurate. I work in a highly commended 5* establishment that is indeed top of it TA area ranking number 1 for many years. So when it comes to Facilities, Service & Value for money I most defiantly know what I am talking about.

This leads me to talk about The Royal Court Hotel in Coventry, after having a look at the reviews I had to comment I find the reviews quite inaccurate.

Yes! This hotel is in need of a refurbishment, in some places but then if the hotel had a multi-million pound refurbishment like you so easily recommend do you really feel you would paying that £29 rate, or that £80 weekend for 2 with dinner bed and breakfast not to mention to free bottle of wine.

Yes! The Staff are rushed of their feet but when you pay such a low rate for your stay they cannot afford to have millions of staff on duty.

This is a 3 star hotel with good food, not amazing food, spacious rooms yes they maybe be aged but the rooms on the straight corridor are perfect. The staff are friendly the bar prices are excellent and it is harder to find cheaper in Coventry.

I have stayed in a Premier Inn for £29, it was lovely but I did not get:
1) A 3 course Dinner
2) A full English Breakfast with cereals and fruit juice
3) Use of a Spa
4) A “FREE” secure car park
5) FREE WIFI

It may not be 5* but then again 5* never comes at a bargain price, you pay for what you get and I for one will be returning to The Royal Court every time I am near Coventry.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 400's they are perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank ECT4Hospitality
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed for just one night, January 2012. Got an amazing deal, £29.99 bed & breakfast for two. The room rate was just £19.99, plus £5 each for breakfast. The room was absolutely fine, clean and tidy, a good size. The bathroom had a large spa bath but we didn't try that. We decided on room service as we arrived quite late in the evening. we both went for sirloin steak, and it was delicious. Not really hot but we were a long way from the kitchens. The breakfast was the usual buffet, full English or continental, and very good - real value at £5.00! Will certainly go back if the opportunity arrives.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple