“Very helpful staff and excellent value for money”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed on a deal break and to be honest were not expecting too much as a couple paying just £63 for DBB. However, we were surprised at how lovely the grounds are, how spacious the hotel is and the staff were on the whole welcoming and professional.

Our room was clean and comfortable and the food was fine although breakfast was better than our evening meal. The hotel is tired in places but it has bags of character and is a vibrant place.
The icing on the cake for us was the kindness of the staff who took the trouble to forward an item of clothing to our home address free of charge. That is what I call service!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your kinds words, it is so easy for people complain when it goes wrong, but always such a joy when someone notices the good service the staff do try to deliver.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed July 19, 2011

Both my wife and I enjoyed a week's break with National Holiday at this hotel. The statements that I read from some people on TripAdvisor, leads me to think they are posted by some competitors. Why, well there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. I feel we had 5 star treatment whilst paying a cost of a 1 star. I feel some people go out of their way to complain which is quite easy to do, whilst others do not say anything when all is good with the world. We both had a very enjoyable time and met with some lovely people, the odd one on our trip I would not miss seeing them ever again but that's life. The staff at the hotel were very obliging and nothing was any trouble for them. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone? YES, go for it and forget the moaners.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Timbo6729
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

I appreciate the time you have taken to post a review following your recent stay with us. It gives the team here great pleasure and motivation to receive such positive feedback.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future, for any further accommodation requirements and we hope to welcome back to our hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2011

we expected to have a relaxing holiday, not so, we wanted our evening meals around 6;30pm. but were told that the 4 bus parties had priority and we would have to wait till after 7;30. it was like a cattle market having to join a large queue of bus people at the buffet.after the second evening of the same we decided not to bother to eat there again.
there were air cndition units outside our bedroom going constantly, shower not working,
had to ask for heaters as room was very cold. matress needed renewing .
bed covers just thrown up and pillows not even shaken, bucket in room not touched for two days. not even hoovered once while we were there.
after all this hassle we decided to leave a day early. we booked a holiday at the same time to the savoy hotel in blackpool on july2011. lets hope it has better standards than the royal court coventry. will report back after our stay at the savoy.
mr&mrs j flanagan. (scotland)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I ca assure you that our Coaches perties are not given preference over our leisure guests, it is just that they book their dining times well in advance, I am concerned that the problems experienced were not brought to our duty managers attention, as any problems would have been addressed if the concerns were reported and all necessary actions to rectify the situation would have been taken.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I would like to make an official compliment to a chef called Floyd,cannot remember his second name but he was so polite and well mannered with great service. He helped us getting our calvery and made our eating experience overall more enjoyable. Give this young man a payrise!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write with your compliments to Floyd. Floyd joined us from college and is indeed a wonderful young man and becoming a very good chef. He thanks you and was pleased to be of service.

Thank you, for making the effort to make known a member of the team, it is guests such as yourself and your praise make the staff stretch themelves a little more.

Many thanks

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We had booked an executive spa double room for a three night break. the first room we were given was nothing more then a very basic double room. The bed on inspection had a lumpy much used matress , the outlook from ther window was into a wall and the whole appearance of the room was worn. We explained we had booked an executive room and were told this was one. We were shown a further 3 rooms but as we had been warned by an assistant manager we wouldnt find them any better. He was correct.

As we were on the point of leaving the hotel another 2 rooms were found for our inspection. The first the bridal suite was over the kichen extractor fans while the second while small with a very basic bathroom had a newer matress. The old matress was in the wardrobe. We agreed ( against our better judgement !) that we would accept this room. The hotel was very busy. A very large wedding was in progress and 2 coach parties were staying. The whole atmosphere was noisy and crowded. A rainstorm had resulted in the corridor flooding.

We joined the queue at the bar for a pre dinner drink. (We had been told we could eat at any time and had booked a table for 8.30pm) There was nowhwere to sit with our drinks as the larger bar was closed for the evening and the coach party's quiz and bingo was starting.We refused quiz sheets and went into the restaurant. The 2 staff were busy setting up the tables for breakfast. We were offered soup or melon and told to help ourselves to the rest. No drinks were offered, but water was brought when I asked. The waiter disappeared to his table laying before we could ask for wine!
The carvery food at 8.30 was awful.The beef was dry and overcooked, the beef stew had congealed with a thick skin, the vegetable were soft and had obviously been in their hotplates for a considerable amount of time. Puddings were a choice of three gateaux, frozen variety available from Macro . It was inedible and we left the restaurant following a portion of melon with tinned pineapple and a small bowl of watery soup.

The manager said he would speak to the chef and did refund our prepaid booking in full. This was a budget priced break so I think perhaps you need to be aware you get what you pay for BUT this cannot excuse food of this standard being served and the extremely poor standard of the bedrooms
We left the hotel at 9.30 and returned home.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ousy

Many thanks for sharing your feedback.

The Royal Court is a 18 bed roomed country house hotel with a further bedroom block of 192 bedrooms which service our very large conference centre and offer value for money.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 10, 2011

If you like blocked toilets, filthy carpets, broken lifts and shabby rooms this is the place for you. Stayed here July 2011 the rooms were very shabby and the general appearance of the hotel is dirty. The food served was ok if you like canteen food. The young staff members did what they could but didnt seem to have any guidance. We ate our main course with the dirty plates from the first course still on the table and in fact ate our desert with everyone;s dirty plates with left over food pilled up in the middle of the table. The hotel is seriously under staffed. I had room service one day with the continental breakfast delivered to me... The croissant when I broke it open was green with mould inside. i complained to the duty manager and he said he would tell the chef!! No apology and no feedback on what was going to be done!! Definitely a place for the Hotel Inspector to visit!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ANG19560
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

I am concerned that the problems experienced were not brought to my attention as I was in the hotel all last week at each evening meal, as any problems would have been addressed and all necessary actions to rectify the situation would have been taken.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Firstly we arrived and were given the key to a room which has not even been cleaned.
Then we were given a key to a room that although had a spa bath looked nothing like the picture of an "executive double room" as attached, as you can see it looks more like a "standard double".
When I pointed this out to reception I was informed they have no rooms like the pictures and perhaps they used a photo of a different hotel????

I was astounded as I would never have booked the room if it was based on the fact it would look like the standard double room.

We also then paid the hotel £25 for a 3 course carvery dinner, the choice of starters were between two - vegetable soup or a fruit medly, the choice of meat on the carvery was salmon in tomatoe sauce or turkey - the vegetables were disgusting. It was one of the worst meals I think I have ever experienced.

Then when we went to sleep about 11pm, we were constantly woken by noisey guests coming back to their rooms from the two weddings being held at the hotel, constant shouting, laughing, banging, talking and also the poor plumbing of the hotels means each and every time someone flushes a toilet it was a horendous noise.

In the end we decided to check out of the hotel at 3am and drive home for some peace and quiet.

I am outraged that I paid you to stay in a hotel in a room which I didnt not reserve, eat food which was disgusting and to have less sleep than I would have at home.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank danhorne

We catered for over 200 guests that weekend and this is the first complaint I have had regarding the food. The normal fare on the buffet, is a roast joint, and then two other dishes. I do wish you had spoken to the duty manager, as the chef would gladly have offered an alternative, we often have guests who have dietary requirements and we are happy to offer an alternative.

The room, of which you had the picture is room 109, in the manor house, and this falls under a "Manor House Superior room", your booking was for a "double executive" room which is the room you received, I am sorry that you did not find this to your liking.

However, I can assure you that I have taken on board the points raised in the hope that we can ensure there is no repetition of these issues again. My heads of department are keen to improve the business and obviously it is only by listening to constructive comments that we can hope to make things better.

We are a value for money hotel and I do appreciate that sometimes there are conflicting expectations, and while we do sometimes fall short of expectations we do have a number of guests who are happy to stay with us on a regular basis.

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board