“Nice location, tired rooms, terrible food and service”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We went to this hotel as part of a coach tour. The location of the hotel is lovely, grounds are nice, looks great from the outside and the reception area is good.

The rooms are a bit tired but we weren't expecting too much for the price we paid. Just carpets that are stained and worn and furniture and curtains etc that are looking a bit neglected. Bathroom etc clean enough though.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast and evening meal basis though and I have to say had there been somewhere close to go we would have abandoned all the provided meals on the second day and gone elsewhere. Even the room we dined in was a dark, tired, deathly quiet old function room with no windows. It truly was the worst dining experience/service in a hotel I've ever come across and I think we would have felt better catered for and looked after at a school canteen or a nursing home!

The whole service was a shambles with one small hot plate of food to cater for a room full of people. This was continually running out and at breakfast time rarely had all the trays full. Food at breakfast was actually closer to stone cold than it was to luke warm and this was when it first arrived at the serving point. People had to stand in long queues to get to the serving plate only to find there was no plates and they had to wait some more, then they would only be able to get say bacon and tomatoes and then would have to come back later when the eggs were refilled and then back again for toast etc! The quality of the food itself was pretty poor with bacon being more fat than bacon and hash browns that were so greasy they'd all moulded together into one big lump you had to chip away at.

The evening meal had one joint of meat and three trays of soggy cold vegetables. All this was luke warm. Desserts were on a table and ran out almost as soon as they were put out. Coffee and Tea was served in 2 small urns, also continually running out along with the milk and the cups. So you frequently waited for coffee then realised there were no cups and then the milk would run out.

Staff were clearly unprepared and no sense of apology or urgency about bringing food refills and new crockery. When people did voice their concern they showed no concern and verged on being rude with their responses.

Saying all this, I imagine if you book this independently then you dine somewhere else with a different dining experience. Like I say, we didn't pay a great deal and so it was clear the management were happy to pile everyone into any available space and provide the most basic meal service they could get away with. The general feeling was that they would have let us eat from a trough if they could have got away with it!

Customers did try and speak to the manager and the driver also tried to but was told she was unavailable that weekend.

All in all, I'd probably stay in the hotel again if I booked it independently and it was a good price and I knew the dining experience would be better.

Anyone who is looking at this on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis as part of a group I'd avoid it completely. It's cheap and you will get fed as promised but it's barely edible, stone cold and you might struggle to find any crockery to eat it with!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank fightingfit
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2011

Thank you for your letter and I am sorry that you felt the Royal Court Hotel was not up to the standard you would have liked.

The Royal Court is a 18 bed roomed country house hotel with a further bedroom block of 192 bedrooms which service our very large conference centre and offer value for money. I do appreciate that sometimes there are conflicting expectations, but we are always here to talk to and discuss any issues so that we can try to remedy any complaints. We appreciate that our hotel is suffering from wear and tear; however, we our prices reflect this.

We catered for 250 guests that weekend and this is the first complaint I have had regarding the food. The normal fare on the buffet, is a roast joint, and then two other dishes. I did in fact speak with a driver but he only appraoched me well after the meal, as the chef would gladly have offered an alternative, we often have guests who have dietary requirements and we are happy to offer an alternative.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

1 night stay on business, stayed on a DBB basis. Booked an exec double jacuzi room, which was a good size, the carpet was badly stained and the bed had seen better days, however I did get an ok nights sleep. The reception was packed on arrival, 1 chap trying to check in a queue of 10 guests, he was very good, kept calm and dealt with it well. I had a very good dinner and some drinks in the bar, the staff were very pleasant, and service very good. I took advantage of the free wi-fi and then headed off to bed. Shame the wi-fi didn't extend into the bar, may have stayed up for another drink if it did. Breakfast was was well organised and the lady looking after things very efficient. The girl on reception was the only let down, had a bit of a face on. Overall was good, with a bit of tlc could be easily very good.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RLHG

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be a value for money, I believe that your feed back is honest and balanced and I wish to thank you so much.

I have taken on board the comments you have made and will endeavour to continue to improve standards and service.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

Having just returned from the Royal Court hotel I felt I should write something about our stay as some of the reviews seem to put the hotel in a poor light. There are perhaps a few learning points for our next stay. 1) book any spa treatments early as we emailed the health club a few days before so my wife could have a facial and massage but they were fully booked... book any treatments you want when you book the hotel, you can always cancel. 2) if you want an early dinner, again book that early as we arrived at 1.45 PM and were offered an 8.45 table. But that aside we had a great time. We booked through travelzoo and had an executive room with jaccuzi bath. We had lunch on arrival which was great.. Nachos as a starter for 2 and sandwiches to follow.. These arrived in a timely manner and the barman friendly and efficient.
Our room was clean and tidy, the TV a bit dated but honestly, how long do you stay in your room watching TV anyway?
I went for a swim in the leasure centre and found the facilities to be clean, the pool nicely warm, I also tried the sauna and steam room and both were excellent. The showers in the mens were clean and warm... personally after a sauna a cold shower would have been nice, but maybe I just didnt find it, you could not alter the temperature in the showers.
The common areas were all clean and tidy and although there were a couple of coaches and a good number of guests and also a party it never seemed overly busy as they were all in seperate rooms.
As with most busy hotels and they must have a few hundred a week, there are a few worn areas, the lift could do with a lick of paint but nothing hit me a awful,
Our dinner came with a free botte of wine, red or white, we asked for Rose and was given that with no issue.
Dinner consisted of soup or salad bar for starters followed by Pork or Turkey roast. The a choice of deserts. Unfortunately for the man behind me I had the last peice of pork but the time was getting on by then, maybe they were about to bring more out anyway in a few minutes. I enjoyed it all...!
Compared with the bed I had at the Britannia Adephi in Liverpool a few weeks earler our matress was luxurious, firm and comfortable with clean sheets and duvet and I had a good nights sleep.
Breakfast in the morning was the standard full english help your self style. A very efficient lady showed you to a clear table. There was everything you could want and plenty of it . Everything was piping hot (some of the plates a little too hot to handle) and if something had run out it was swiftly replaced. The tables were cleared as soon as you had finished a course.

Will definitely be coming back.. at the price it was a positive bargain.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

I appreciate the time you have taken to post a review following your recent stay with us. It gives the team here great pleasure and motivation to receive such positive feedback.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future, for any further accommodation requirements and we hope to welcome back to our hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2011

The hotel is pretty nice with a beautiful garden , a large hall, nice restaurants... but ! We had booked a triple room, at the chech-in the bed for my daughter wasn't ready yet. At the reception a very nice girl promised it would have been made soon. When we returned in the evening the bed wasn't ready , at 9.00 p.m. since nobody had made it ( or even worst : at the reception they wanted to give me the sheets to make it but "unluckily" they couldn't find a duvet.. ) they decided to give us a single room for my daughter.
We had had dinner at the hotel, very nice indeed, but when we checked out the restaurant had not given our room number to the reception so they couldn't charge us the dinner : good for us but they should be more careful in their organization...
Nice pool, sauna ( it can be an extra, depends on the kind of booking).. great place for conventions and weddings

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, which I read with interest and concern. I do feel it is a shame you did not speak to our duty manager or indeed myself or my deputy as we could have resolved any issues and take great care to do so when something is brought to our attention

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board

Reviewed March 20, 2011

I Arrived to find nice and helpful staff on reception (this didn't last !!, The room was a bit of a disaster , I had booked a twin room for my daughter and I but when we got to the room there was a double and a camping style bed which besides looking like a health hazard was torn and undressed - After asking reception to remove it and waiting 2 hours for anything to happen I managed to find a somewhat unsuspecting porter lurking in the rather dim corridor , Who i managed to coerce into helping me remove the bed as far as the corridor Where it remained for the duration of our stay ...... The next series of Issues were contained the Bathroom .... The first issue was that the Hand basin did not empty which as anyone can imagine made hand washing most difficult !! the next was that the shower didn't work so the only option was the spa bath which was somewhat unpredictable with its water pressure which made for a very interesting bath !! , as well as this another issue which i spotted was that there was no handrail for climbing in and out of the bath so lucky for me i didn't fall over and cause myself a potentially serious injury ,
I found the food rather inconsistent the first night it was rather horrible everything looked dried out and there wasn't much left , The second night it was much better and rather nice but I did find it interesting when I wanted a slice of lemon for my salmon the chief gave me lemon which had been on cooked fish for quite some time as well as this I was disappointed to find that when I went to get some dessert there was none left . I was however really impressed with the fact I was able to bring my dog into the bar with me and that there was plenty of outside space to let my dogs have a run , All in all the hotel was rather inconsistent I did consider myself lucky after going to a friends room in the same hotel with was awful in comparison to mine I did also notice that each time I went to complain there were many others there at the time so I know I wasn't alone !! If I thought that the hotel would improve there standard I would probably stay again as I found that for visiting crufts the hotel was in a great location for traveling to the nec anf was very dog friendly

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

I am concerned that the problems experienced were not brought to our duty managers attention, as any problems would have been addressed if the concerns were reported and all necessary actions to rectify the situation would have been taken.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

This February was our third year staying at this badly run hotel. 2009 the first time we stayed was OK, didn't expect much as it is one of the few hotels that accept dogs. We stay here because it is where our clubs trophy weekend is held. Room was Ok, clean, tidy. The following year , all change.......we arrived on the Friday to book in ...total chaos..our room we booked had been given to someone else who had just arrived that day. We were offered a 2nd floor room which was not good enough as we had specifically booked ground floor. We were allocated a ground floor room eventually. This was not big enough to swing a cat in.We had to stack table and chairs onto the cabinet to make enough room to accomodate our 3 dogs. Moved our bed up against the radiator from which behind was lumps of plaster that had fallen off the wall. We were not the only guest to find they had not been allocated a room. Some had to find alternative accomodation elsewhere. So to safeguard this situation from happening this year
FEB 2011 we were told to book and pay for up front through the hotel itself. (4th march 2010). January 17th 2011 we had to cancel the Friday and the Sunday nights but still have Saturday night. Simple for a hotel (its what they do is it not?) This was done and the 2 nights refunded. all was well. Because of the hassle the year before I insisted my wife phoned the hotel to make sure all was ok for our room on the Saturday. After some considerable time the chap on reception eventually found our booking and confirmed all was ok. On the Saturday we were in high spirits arriving early to book in. We were soon dragged down to earth when we were told that our room we so carefully booked by their rules had been given to someone else AGAIN. So if we had not turned up they would have had our money and let the room twice. After remonstrating with the young girl at reception and a young lad her senior we got A room ,not what we ordered but some where to sleep or try to. Single beds with worn out lumpy mattresses. We asked to speak with the General Manager Mrs Heather Thomas. Who sweet talked all the right words but did nothing about it. Mrs Thomas assured us she would look into the situation and get back to us. She asked us if we would be there the next day (obviously as we were there to see the dog show.) She said she would come and see us and let us know how this had happened again. The next day (Sunday) we waited... nothing so we enquired at the reception. We were told it was her DAY OFF!!. She obviously had no intention of doing anything she said and blatantly lied her head off. I believe almost all the staff at this hotel would benefit from a course in CUSTOMER CARE.
If all this wasn't enough to put you off, yesterday Saturday 19th March 2011, I received a bank statement from Santander (this account was closed end of February) stateing my account was overdrawn by the some of £170 icurring charges on top. The hotel had charged us AGAIN for 3 nights. I was now in a furious state of mind . My wife phoned the hotel and asked to speak to The GM Heather Thomas. Not in this evening. Asked for next in line and spoke to ANGELA OLDHAM conference officer. To be fair Angela must be the only helpful qualified person at the hotel. She listened but could not believe what we had been through. Angela has refunded our money taken by the hotel and promised they will pay my bank charges. She emailed a screen shot from her computer showing the transaction. I just hope the money appears in my new account ASAP this week. Thankyou Angela Oldham, I just hope next February goes smoothly or I will not be responsible for my actions. Monday I will attempt to ring the Head Office and complain again. PS God knows what our foreign friends must think of this hotel. They came over from the EU , SA. USA. etc.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to see that you have booked with us again for next year.

As you are aware, I did speak with you on the Saturday morning and as promised would investigate and come back to you, and asked if you would be in all Sunday. As it transpired I found out the reason for the mix up, which was that you were booked for a three night stay and allocated the room of your choice. As stated, you then cancelled Friday and Saturday and for some reason, and as I explained when I caught up with you later, our computer then with the cancellation de-allocated the room you were suppose to be and made a completely new booking and also did not release the first booking which is why I then queried with yourself but you assured me your wife had had the refund for the nights which you were not using. By the time you had arrived, as the room was not linked to your new booking, we had allocated it to another party who had arrived on the Friday night. I did apologise for this but as we were full house I could not change your room. I did not need to return on Sunday (my only day off) as I had already had a further conversation with you later in the day. I do not blatantly lie, I spoke with you and your wife three times that day and there was nothing further I could do for you as we were at 100% occupancy.

I am pleased that Angela was able to sort out the payment error for you so efficiently this was again linked to the cancelled booking and charged as a NO SHOW. I apologise for this error and will take this up with our control department to find out why this occurred.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I think from memory we have stayed at the Hotel four times in the last 15 years,and we have always had a pleasant stay..so much so that we will be there for 4 nights,week commencing 21st March 2011,on an organised bus holiday. these we enjoying having as we have stayed in some very good Hotels and look forward to our next break at the Royal Court

• Stayed: August 2010
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Dear Mrs Hull

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you once again.

Kind regards