“could be better”

Novotel Coventry
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I am currentlystaying here on business, and have another week here to go. Since arrival I have eaten in the bar area three times in total, twice my order has been finally brought incomplete or incorrect, and three times I have had to go off hunting cuttlery myself as staff have failed to supply it. The bar manager seems unqualified to fill the tasks of his role and frequently gives incorrect drinks to my colleagues, as well as made up pricing for some items. I witnessed a young lady charged £6 for a fruit salad!
Businesscustomers beware, especially those who are tradesmen, it is clear that people in suits are the prefered customers in this establishment.
Onto the rooms, pleasing and comfortable despite the non working loo's that cannot handle anything more than tissue or liquids (looms in reception area work fine, just awkward should you need a visit in the night) , the blocked basin pipe work and the heating system that is clearly not connected to the 1970's thermostat in the room, three days with the window open as wide as possible and the room temp is still over 20 degrees making sleeping under the huge down duvet an uncomfortable experiance.
On the whole its not bad, clearly cash has been spent on decor downstairs, but rooms could do with a facelift, toilets upstairs fixed, retraining for key staff could be an idea (its not a good idea to refuse one person to eat a Takeaway in the bar with his drink, while an hour later allow seven suited (and clearly drunk) businessmen to consume kebabs and chips in the exact same area.
Given the choice I'd have rather been in a travel lodge for a fortnight

Room Tip: Anything but the second floor as the plumbing is terrible
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Mr Carruthers
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, it is very important us to enable us to action on any shortfalls in the service you receive.

With regard to the service that you have recieved in the bar, I can only apology as this is not the normal level I would expect my guests to receive. I will be making a full investigation into the comments and the necessary action and measures will be taken with those concerned to ensure that the level of service is increased.

I do apologise for the guests who were eating their own food in the hotel bar, as you state this is clearly not acceptable and again I will ensure that this is clearly defined with the teams.

With reference to the bedrooms, we have a continous on going refurbishment programme to ensure that all our bedrooms and bathrooms are kept upto date, recently having flat sceen TV's installed and the availability to free WIFI. The bathrooms have also been refurbished and as a company we are have made a commitment to be environmentally aware and have adapted the toilets. I have however instituted an investigation into the water flow and any issue will be resolved.

I would like to reiterate my apologies and ensure that your comments have been taken very seriously and I hope that the remainder of your stay is satisfactory.

Best Regards

GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed October 23, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed 2 nights October 2013 Receptionist gives the first impression of the hotel,when i checked in so i get nice welcome from imran with big smile and then later on he helped me to find the easy way to walk to Ricoh Areana,let me say in italian muchas gracias imran.
Room was nice a clean good comfortable bed,all staff was very friendly in restuarant and bar.
I really had a great experience and worth of money to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest

Thankyou very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor as feedback is very important to us.

I will pass your comments to my team and in particular Imran who has in fact just moved to reception from the restaurant.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Coventry in the future, in the mean time thankyou again for your comments.

Your Sincerely

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed one night October 2013
The water didn't drain in the bathroom basin , limited hotel bathroom products. Basic room
Dinner service terrible. We're given Menus and forgotten about! Restuarant didn't have an item we ordered
My colleague ordered steak , waitress brought the incorrect side dish and no steak knife
Would not recommend and have put me off Novotel for good

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leave us your feedback.

I am very disappointed to hear of the problems you incurred during your stay and will be taking these issues up with the relevant department managers.

I can assure you this is not our usual standard and should you return we would be able to demonstrate this.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

1960s decor, bland boring muzak on each speaker. Sat for dinner at 1800, with a table of 12. First waiter did not know what the soup of the day was. Starters arrived some ordered king prawns, well ��7 for 7 prawns and definitely not king prawns. Main course ok and by 2000 we had to beg staff to take desert order.....rooms bland, tv had BBC1 ITV CHANNEL 4 AND 5 but no BBC2. Freeview definitely not available here at minimum. Breakfast pink sausages, cold beans, no fried eggs.......

There is one good thing about hotel and that is James. He always polite, was always asking is everything ok remembered everybody's names. Just wish all the staff and hotel was as good as him.
Well done James.

As for a top notch chain like this I will be making suggestions not to stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst exhibiting at the Ricoh Arena. The hotel is a little dated with the walls of the room pebbledashed. Rather strangely the toilet is separate from the bathroom. On the plus side, staff are friendly and the rooms quiet and clean and there is free WiFi. Breakfast here is good as well. On the minus side, the bar is a bit soulless and worst of all they charge £4 for parking. This seems petty and Novotel should review their policy on this. I would stay here again if I was visiting the Ricoh purely for the convenience, but would not choose it for any other reason.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leave us your feedback.

Your comments will be shared with the team here and all feedback will be shared with the relevant managers.

We hope to see you again here in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel whilst attending a conference at the Ricoh Center about 5 mins drive away. The room was clean and virtually exactly the same as any other Novotel I have stayed in. The sound proofing was good from the traffic outside (next to a busy dual carriageway). The doors tended to make a lot of noise if they were allowed to slam shut which could be heard from several doors away. After a bit of confusion during check in and three trips to my room I finally gained access, with the receptionist joining me the third time to make sure the key worked ! Dinner was reasonable and the breakfast was a full breakfast hot buffet and I quite enjoyed it. There was quite a long queue at check-out which was frustrating. It was peak time but I much prefer the US hotel zip check out where you just call ahead and'or leave the key in the room with the bill slipped under the door early in the morning. As a Platinum member I received a free drink voucher but there was no room upgrade as the hotel was pretty full.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leave us your feedback.

Your comments will be shared with the team here and used as training going forward.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.