“No tea/coffee in the room, no room servise after 21:45”

Village Hotel Coventry
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Taunton, United Kingdom
“No tea/coffee in the room, no room servise after 21:45”
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Positive: clean and comfortable room. Good leisure facilities.
Negative: No tea/coffee making facilities in the room---the only such hotel I have come across in the UK. Room service between 6pm and 9:45 pm only. So if you like to have a hot drink early in the morning, bring your own kettle and the rest ! TV did not work, receptionist did not seem to care,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I liked the gym! It made up for an, otherwise, unspectacular stay - all Village Hotels are a bit dull and dont offer value for money. I stayed here because my friends were having their wedding reception here - it wouldn't have been a hotel of choice for me. I'd still recommend it though as I wasn't overly offended by the experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Having stayed here a couple of years ago and found it fine, we were looking forward to another visit but found it a bit of a disappointment.
First problem was the keys wouldn't open our door, they had to be re-programmed. We had a disabled room which we didn't need but it was fine and very spacious. However one bulb wasn't working and there was very little toilet paper! I complained and these problems were sorted out very quickly.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good and reasonably priced - we didn't bother with wine as it was very expensive.
At breakfast we asked for decaffeinated coffee - we were told there wasn't any! I was pretty annoyed at this as we don't drink caffeinated tea or coffee for medical reasons. My husband settled for water and I had a mug of orange juice but thought it very unsatisfactory. I complained at the desk as we checked out and they said there should be some coming in on that day's delivery!!
This hotel is still in an ideal spot for visiting Coventry or the NEC but I do feel that they are cutting corners which makes the overall enjoyment of one's stay a little tarnished

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Berks
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stay 2-3 nights a week in Coventry for work, and have carried out a tour of pretty much every hotel in the area! The Village reached my list because it is one of the few hotels close to work with a gym, but that also had free internet access - I need to work from my room frequently. The gym is, unfortunately one of the few good things about the it. The restaurant is overpriced and the quality of the food makes me struggle for words - the only one fitting is gross. I had the fish of the day with mashed potato - the potato was cold, the fish over cooked and the vegetables were verging on overcooked. When I sent it back the whole thing (hollandaise sauce included) had basically been put in the microwave - welcome boiling hot mash, hard fish and sloppy vegetables. Nice. My colleage had a grilled tuna steak which served up looked like plasticine.
The rooms in the extension are nice - and quiet, compared to the rooms in the main body of the hotel, and I now know to ask for one of these. However, once my current run of bookings here are out the way, I'll be straight back over to the Holiday Inn in Kenilworth. Much better service, the staff are SO helpful, and the food is much better value (and quality).
If you're looking for a decent meal nearby, pop to Milsys in Earlsdon, great value, great food and a 5-10 min journey away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Service from reception very good,evening restaurant good likewise food,unfortunately Sun 9am breakfast staff can't cope & don't seem to care - no evidence of management. The room was very good & everywhere was very clean.Spa & swimming pool very good.Location good for city. We liked best the room & spa facilities.Least liked Sun breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
West Yorkshire
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Stayed on one of the 'summer break' packages, so fairly good value.

As soon as we got to the front door there was loads of broken glass on the ground probably from the night before not cleared up.

Couldn't check in til alloted time (3pm) but ok to leave luggage with them. When I checked an hour later, we were assigned a room which very definitely had somone who had smoked in there before. No room changes were allowed, explanation that they were fully booked however I doubt every guest had checked in within an hour, my guess is because we paid a cheap rate they weren't going to bother with us. However, they did offer to release the window safety lock which allowed you to open it wider than an inch. Also offered to provide us with room freshener. However, both these jobs done an hour later. Room still stank of smoke - gross :)

Reported that the phone was broken as soon as I got there, but it never got fixed ( I stayed for 2 nights) even after 2 reminders to reception.

Free wi-fi incredibly slow.

Fixed menu at The Grill restaurant to be fair isn't as bad as all that - just mediocre, which for the price you pay you can't get too het up about. However service so slow on the second night for all tables, and all of our neighbouring guests complained about wait between courses, and some left without dessert because the waiting staff never came to take orders for dessert.

Drinks are extortionate at the bar by the way. The bar itself was badly managed, plates not cleared up from a number of tables, tables themselves not wiped down properly.

Breakfast in morning was hectic! Too busy and lots of people waiting. Tip for mgt - rearrange the food layout to ensure you don't get a MASSIVE queue for hot food, cereal, toast AND fruit, when you can queue separately for each area therefore it being more efficient, yes?

Room service employed some unusual practices. If you leave a 'do not disturb' sign on your door in the morning, the staff leave 1 set of towels on the floor in your doorway. Apparently there is no other way the staff can give you clean towels.. although when they eventually clean your room you get 2 sets of towels anyway? I just thought it rather unhygenic to place clean towels on the floor?? So this I let reception know, and although they said they couldn't change the procedure for the towels, the staff were very helpful and immediately provided us with 2 sets of new towels.

Another whinge - both evenings there were loads of dirty crockery and wine glasses on the landing near the lift - so it stank of rotting food and minging old wine everytime we passed it.

So all in all an average stay with an impressive list of annoying minor complaints (there were more I promise, but this review is getting too long). However, hats off to the team of staff who were all professional and tried to help as much as they could given the circumstances.

Summary - poor management and resourcing of staff over a busy weekend period.

If this is typical of a Village hotel then I think it's totally lowered their standards and reputation. However, they won't lose much business because of the value they offer. Weigh it up...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed for one night upon recommendation from friends. We were able to check in before 2pm, which was handy as we were leaving the hotel for an event shortly after.

We returned at 11.30pm to go to bed as we were shattered, only to find that there was a function going on below our wing of the hotel. Disco noise was so loud the vibrations were felt in the room. We spoke to the night duty manger who advised us that there was a wedding party which would not finish until 1am. We asked to move room as we could not understand why we had been given a room above a function that we were not even part of and neither were we informed about. We were told that the hotel was fully booked and we would have to put up with the noise. The noise went on until 1.30am. When we checked out the following morning, we raised this again with the morning duty manger who advised he was aware of this problem due to several other complaints. Overall, the staff were not sympathetic to our issue and advised us that they had a 24 hour entertainment licence.
The hotel amenities in general were good, with a large pool, bar serving great food, and Starbucks due later this month. The room was tired and in need of a redecoration but the bed was very comfortable.
Overall, following our experience we will not stay here again on our next visit to Coventry for risk of this repeating.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple