“Not the best stay - Over priced and disorganised”

Village Hotel Coventry
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Staffordshire
“Not the best stay - Over priced and disorganised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at The Village (Coventry) for one night and whilst it was ok I wouldn't have this hotel as my preferred choice for another stay if I needed to book a hotel in Coventry again.

The location was the decisive factor on this occasion as we only had to travel less than five minutes (taxi) to our entertainment venue for the night. The price for the room, which was disappointingly smaller than the usual hotel of this ilk was excessive. As were the prices in the bar for food and drink. Saying that the food we did have was good. The bar area was a mess though, needed a good clean but I can forgive the hotel a little as it was mid afternoon on a Saturday and it had seen plenty of use from other visitors.

Check in and check out was slow and the breakfast area in the morning was carnage. The area where breakfast was served was not adequate in size and again like the bar, was not very tidy. The waitresses / waiters were not at fault though, extremely tough situation for them to be in.

Maybe we just picked a bad day/night. For the price we paid I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellersTune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I found the room comfortable and clean but unfortunately it was too hot. I had to open the windows & was woken up at 4 by a lorry reversing. The bathroom was clean and there were plenty of towels. I burnt my finger whilst trying to turn the water off when running the bath. One of the bath panels also slipped whilst the bath was running, looks like it needed to be re-glued. I reported it to reception when I checked out and they were very apologetic and promised to get it rectified.
My colleagues and I decided to eat in the bar. I asked for an Appletiser and the waitress had no idea what I was talking about, it took a male colleague to tell her they don't sell them. The food was good, there was plenty of it and I think it was good value for money. As a business trip the room was fine but I wouldn't choose to stay here for a weekend break.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
sleaford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We were visiting Stratford one day and the Cotswolds the next so stayed over at the village hotel as got a good deal. We found the hotel a nightmare to get too as we arrived on the Coventry ring road at a busy time and having got the right turn off the dual carriage way got in the wrong lane and ended up in Sainsbury’s. You can’t turn right out of the supermarket onto the road you want so have to go back around the one way system and onto the ring road but again the lanes are very confusing and we ended up past the turning and back onto the dual carriageway ring road so had a mile detour to get back . Didn’t make the same mistake again and arrived very safely in the very spacious hotel car park.
Checked in very efficiently with no problem at all by very friendly staff. Room very was nice and clean and we then visited the bar and sat outside in the sunshine on the small terraced area having a well deserved drink.
The pool facility was very nice and the pool nice and warm. We had booked a table in the verve grill and were dealt with by a very friendly waitress. The food was quite expensive but you come to expect in a hotel of this type. The one price that wasn’t on the menu was for the fish of the day which with it being Friday was fried and it turned out to be haddock, which I quite fancied as it came with chips and mushy peas which I hadn’t had for a while. It was a very nice piece of fish with a few chunky chips and a small pot of mushy peas. My wife had steak which was also very nice. What came as a shock was the price of fish and chips which was £15.99!! The same price as my wife’s steak. I should have asked before hand I know but assumed it would be about £10 which would be bad enough. However the meal and service was very good the only downside being that we noticed the lights above each table have not been dusted for a long time as inside each one was a cobweb just sitting there.
The room was ok for a nights sleep but we also weren’t impressed with the bed which was supposed to be really comfortable, was ok but nothing special.
Breakfast was a good choice and you average hotel breakfast
We got checked out in the morning with no problems and getting out of the commercial estate where the hotel is situated was easier than getting in. I think overall we would stay again as the room rates are very reasonable as they must make the money up on the food prices and now we know how to get to it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

I've been wanting to do a review on this hotel for some time now. A very clean and fresh hotel with a large open lobby area with clear signs leading to all areas of the hotel. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who checked us in. But we felt she did nothing more than her job and didn't make us feel that welcome.

We stayed in room 606, a well layed out suite with a super kingsize bed, big tv and tastful decor. The room was clearly cleaned to a high standard and the bathroom was fresh and mould free which impressed me. It's got everything you'll ever need from a hotel to enjoy a stay in Coventry. But I will say I wasn't that impressed with the (hard) foam bed the hotel seemed to think everyone would love so much that you wouldn't want to leave. Sorry, but I didn't enjoy the bed that much. The view from the window wasn't much to write about. A big white building right outside the window.

We had to try out the indoor pool they had. Again the staff in the leisure area seemed friendly, but just doing there jobs. (A smile would be nice to see) Clean changing rooms but I have to say not well maintained from what I could tell, i.e: Broken lockers and some showers that don't work. The pool temp wasn't great but overall it was a relaxing 90 minutes I had.

That evening we ate in the verve bar and grill. A nice place to relax with a drink and a meal. We ordered some bar food. Quick service but not the best tasting food. The menu was boring and over priced. The staff in the bar seemed much more relaxed, happy and interested in there job unlike alot of the staff at the hotel.

Overall we would rate this hotel a 7/10 simply because alot of the staff seemed uninterested about the job they do. Also the leisure area and bar and grill fro overall service. Don't get me wrong, It's a great hotel in it's on rights, but if your after a hotel that will pull out all the stops for you and make you feel like your a king or queen from the moment you walk in then this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

This has been one of the best hotels I've stayed at in this area. I found the bed very comfy and I slept very well, this is unusual for me.
All the staff were genuinely helpful and friendly, the car park plenty big enough and without any silly barriers or parking permits.
The only reason my room rating lost one mark was because my window faced a dull flat roof and was overlooked by many other room windows which meant the curtains had to be kept closed to maintain privacy. I'm sure other rooms are better and they might well have moved me if I had asked, as I say a very minor point.
The leisure centre looked really nice although I didn't use the facilities myself. It is very popular which is why the car park is very busy at times, no problem for most, and there is disabled parking right in front of the hotel (even if many of the bays are used by non-disabled drivers, something the management might like to look into).
This is a big hotel, but retains a comfortable atmosphere by the clever arrangements of the bar, restaurant and reception areas.
The restaurant served a wide selection of food and everything I had over the week was really nice and the portion size was very generous.
I can't answer why some previous reviews have been negative, based on my stay I would certainly recommend it and I will be using it again myself next time I visit Coventry.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Zwolle, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

I'm really not sure if the previous reviews relate to this hotel as I had no problems with it at all!

The room was extremely comfy, relaxing decor and has a big flat screen TV with Sky TV. Bathroom very clean.

We were there for two nights for a Christmas/New Year fan club party, our room was above the banquet room, but I couldn't really complain about the noise if I retired early as thats the reason I was there!

Breakfast is very nice, lots to choose from, we had lunch in the pub in the hotel which is also very good. I can't comment on the dinner menu as dinner was included in our package, but what we had was very nice (even if it was a roast turkey dinner straight after Christmas!).

The hotel also has gym and pool facilities and a beauty salon too. I loved the pool facilities, nice to chill out in.

We have just booked for our next fan club party at this hotel for the same time, so I am looking forward to it very much!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

We booked here at very short notice and made full use of a Bank Holiday Special deal.
Our stay here was faultless. The superior room and bed excellent .Full English breakfast buffet 10/10. Whats not to like. Well according to some reviews the rooms above the front of the hotel can be very noisy. Point taken, pay the upgrade and get a lovely quiet room at the back of the hotel in annex joined by a walkway. Stripey carpets.
Come on please. Is this really going to affect your stay. Ok so there was a little cosmetic damage to skirting boards etc. This is a hotel with a very high turn over of guests. Would the smell of paint spoil your sleep more than a few scuffs on a wall.
We will return when ever we need to with no problem

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple